Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New waitlist requests for R/GPUs/miles accepted until 24 before departure (Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New waitlist requests for R/GPUs/miles accepted until 24 before departure (Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Antipode
This is a gross misunderstanding of what really happens. At T-24, the reservations-side waitlist expires, but then when you check in, if you had already requested an instrument upgrade and it hasn't cleared, you will be transferred to the airport/DM waitlist for a "battlefield upgrade." But if the request was not made prior to T-24, you cannot add yourself to the DM waitlist with an instrument-supported upgrade.
OP is doing miles, not cert.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
OP is doing miles, not cert.
That is irrelevant.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is irrelevant.
Not according to UA. If you look at the link below, you will see that a critical difference between miles & certs is that miles can only be booked/waitlisted until T-24 and that the WL expires at T-24, effectively meaning no UG on miles after T-24.

As to certs, under "Other Terms" the request can only be made until T-24, but WL does not expire at T-24. Or, at least UA does not say that the WL expires. So, if you're on the WL at T-24 and don't clear, the WL doesn't expire.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...wupgrades.aspx
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
That's just poor wording on the website. If you look one line below the rule that you quoted, it says

Standby is permitted. Waitlisted customers will automatically be added to the standby list upon check-in.
i.e. if you did not clear you will get transferred to the DM waitlist.

All instruments, if they do not clear prior to T-24, are supposed to be transferred to the DM waitlist.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Not according to UA. If you look at the link below, you will see that a critical difference between miles & certs is that miles can only be booked/waitlisted until T-24 and that the WL expires at T-24, effectively meaning no UG on miles after T-24.
Pre-merger, but post *A entrance, I flew CO EWR-PDX-EWR and used miles to try to UG. Neither cleared, but each time I was right at the top of a long upgrade list, without any CO status. So they did "take" all the way through - I see no difference then to now.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: Airline FF: UA 1K, DL, US, AA, NW,
i.e. if you did not clear you will get transferred to the DM waitlist.

All instruments, if they do not clear prior to T-24, are supposed to be transferred to the DM waitlist.
For me the "supposed to be transferred to the DM waitlist" - is not working.

I posted here my details here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19498014-post23.html

I am now 3 for 3 in not getting transfer to DM waitlist when a GPU is applied to MHT-EWR-TLV. Further after a lot of phonecalls/gymnastics with agents I may or may not get onto the list with the appropriate status/fare class (see post above when 1K and Y-fare checked in as #2 on list and dropped to #13 by T-2.

In my situation on this routing there is a "system" problem that is repeatedly causing a "no transfer". Where is the appropriate place to complain/suggest/prod United to look into this problem?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
To close the loop - with a lot of work by a very helpful pair of gate agents I did get put back onto the waitlist again - and the upgrade cleared. They had to pull another set of miles to do it but I'm assuming that can be tidied up afterwards.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:47 am

Programs: UA Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A405 Safari/8536.25)

This is gonna be 'fun' if ewr gets a travel waiver for this weekend and the reservation crews have to deal with a bunch of gpus switching to another flight. R space on new flight (as a result of travel waiver) should be an automatic clear, even if original fare bucket doesn't exist, yes?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
A friend of mine sponsored my wife (non-elite) for an upgrade using a soon-to-expire RPU.

When he applied it, the R bucket was empty.

Shortly after T-24, I noticed R jumped to 4. I called in and they basically told me that my friend had to call in and provide his MP # and PIN, and they could do it. Alternatively, I could wait until we got to the gate and hope for a battlefield UG.

Since he's in Tel Aviv, and he's doing this as a favor, I didn't want to bother him.

When I checked in my wife's reservation, it offered me a $150 buyup. (Was over $850 before T-24.) So I took it. Yeah, I'm feeding the ToD machine, but a happy wife = happy life.

Glad I didn't play battlefield roulette; apparently the ToD's are popular and all 4 seats are gone.

Now, since I paid for the upgrade, will my friend get his RPU back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.