Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goalie
[*]Security: Any tips as to how to go thru security as I know Courtney doesn't go thru x-ray but will she have to come out of the carrier? It's a see thru carrier so I'd prefer not to remove her as if she got loose, I'm screwed[/LIST]
You will have to take her out of her carrier, walk through the metal detector holding her then you will have your hands swabbed by the TSA and the swabs tested while you hold her. The (empty) carrier will go through X-Ray. Once you get an all clear on the test you can put your pet back in the carrier.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
You will have to take her out of her carrier, walk through the metal detector holding her then you will have your hands swabbed by the TSA and the swabs tested while you hold her. The (empty) carrier will go through X-Ray. Once you get an all clear on the test you can put your pet back in the carrier.
This is absolutely, 100% correct. In addition, I would make sure you have a ticket for the pet from the airline--sometimes they won't let you through security without one, and I once had to go back to the counter to get one before they would let us through.

Tim
Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by TimInSF
Take it from me, you cannot fly with a pet in the premium cabin on ANY 757 (or any 767, 777, or 787 for that matter). I have argued until I was blue in the face that the policy should only apply to versions with lay-flat seating, to no avail. The ONLY planes you can fly with pets in premium cabins on United are 737s and the Airbuses.

Good luck!

Tim
Looks like it so it's either the DCA-SFO flight as that's a 37 or a 37/319/320 IAD-SFO for me

Pets are not permitted in United Global First, United First, United BusinessFirst or United Business on Boeing 747, 757, 767, 777 or 787 aircraft due to limited storage space under the seat.

Originally Posted by aussieinsf
This is absolutely, 100% correct. In addition, I would make sure you have a ticket for the pet from the airline--sometimes they won't let you through security without one, and I once had to go back to the counter to get one before they would let us through.

Tim
I spoke to a TSO friend of mine* and what he suggested is what he suggests to pax in this situation and that is to request a private screening as this way, the cat is taken out of the carrier** in a closed room with no chance of escape where the carrier then can either be visually inspected or taken back and run thru x-ray.

Now as to a "ticket" for the cat, what do you mean? Is this a form that the lobby agent gives/prints out a pseudo-bp for the cat?

*yes, I do have a friend who is a TSO

**this is the carrier (tho in black)
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:50 pm

Now as to a "ticket" for the cat, what do you mean? Is this a form that the lobby agent gives/prints out a pseudo-bp for the cat?
It is usually just a an "excess baggage" receipt on boarding pass stock but it indicates that you paid the fee for the pet. I always wonder why the TSA should care if you paid for your pet, but that is the way it is.

Good luck!

Tim
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
I always wonder why the TSA should care if you paid for your pet, but that is the way it is.
I recently took a pet through TSA and they couldn't have cared less whether we had a ticket or fee receipt for the pet. Perhaps that was the exception, not the rule...

The pet went through Pre-check metal detector while the carrier went through X-ray just as TSA website indicates.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Now as to a "ticket" for the cat, what do you mean? Is this a form that the lobby agent gives/prints out a pseudo-bp for the cat
It is usually just a an "excess baggage" receipt on boarding pass stock but it indicates that you paid the fee for the pet. I always wonder why the TSA should care if you paid for your pet, but that is the way it is.

Good luck!

Tim
Thanks again ^.

Booked my ticket on the DCA-SFO nonstop which is a 737 and I've applied my upgrade (waitlisted of course and Murphy's law is that it will come down to the gate with only row 1 available so I'll have to bow out)

Also-I noticed 3 things about about my booking-

On the itinerary just below the PNR, it lists "Pet Tracking Number" followed by the actual number which has the same first 3 letters as my PNR but 3 different last 3 characters

On the itinerary under the "Traveler(s)" section just below my name is the cat information (name, weight & D.O.B.) I entered during the booking process so I'm wondering if that will suffice (tho taking no chances, I will be asking at the check-in counter )

On my e-receipt, there is section called

Additional Charges: Sun., Mar. 16, 2014/Visa XXXX was charged 125.00 USD for the following: InCabin Pet Fee / EDD 016xxxxxxxxxxxx (and this "016" number is completely different from the ticket number [only the 016 is the same])
Old May 4, 2014, 1:36 pm

Take it from me, you cannot fly with a pet in the premium cabin on ANY 757 (or any 767, 777, or 787 for that matter). I have argued until I was blue in the face that the policy should only apply to versions with lay-flat seating, to no avail. The ONLY planes you can fly with pets in premium cabins on United are 737s and the Airbuses.

Good luck!

Tim
Just wanted to follow up regarding a cat in F on a 737-800. It may be different by variant but my flight (UA 1662 DCA-SFO on 5/3), I was in seat 4B and there was not enough room to put the carrier in the narrow space where one puts their feet, the carrier would also not fit widthwise in the space under and between the two seats in front of me and the carrier would not slide all the way in that same space lengthwise as it would stick out by more than 50%*. Now with that, I know the cat carrier (airline approved with United on the list of airlines) would fit on a domestic 2 cabin 57 so United afaic is blowing smoke

* crew didn't mind at all and was terrific!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott
UA SFO In-Cabin Pet Travel (specifically weight limit)

Hello all, longtime lurker, first time poster (and first time attempting to fly with a pet). Many thanks for the large trove of information on FT. It is an amazingly helpful resource.

My main question (relevant details, background, etc... below). Does United have a weight limit for in-cabin pets (non-service animals)? I've found conflicting advice from 3rd party blogs and UA.com. I was hoping some anecdotal experiences from fellow FT'ers may help.

Background:
I've read the links below. My dog weighs in at 19.2 pounds (no carrier). My dog will fit comfortably in either the Sleepypod or Sherpa pet carriers that meet the UA dimension requirements (18x11x11 for soft-sided kennels). Both of these carriers weigh ~4 pounds. I've seen a weight limit of 20 pounds (pet+carrier) mentioned for UA on some 3rd-party blogs. My guess is that this is dated information back when UA / Continental were merging and that the current policy is based solely on carrier dimensions. For this specific trip I will be flying multi-destination (SFO, PIT, and EWR).

Sherpa Deluxe Medium Dimensions and Weight:
18x11x10.5
4 pounds

Sleepypod Air Dimensions and Weight:
Adjustable length, will meet 18x11x11 requirements
4 pounds

Background links...
cepheid Travel with Pets on UA sticky

UA.com in-cabin pet policy

FAQ Carry-On Pet Policy

Sleepypod Air

Sherpa Original Deluxe

Guaranteed On Board
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by SFOSteeler
Hello all, longtime lurker, first time poster (and first time attempting to fly with a pet). Many thanks for the large trove of information on FT. It is an amazingly helpful resource.

My main question (relevant details, background, etc... below). Does United have a weight limit for in-cabin pets (non-service animals)? I've found conflicting advice from 3rd party blogs and UA.com. I was hoping some anecdotal experiences from fellow FT'ers may help.

Background:
I've read the links below. My dog weighs in at 19.2 pounds (no carrier). My dog will fit comfortably in either the Sleepypod or Sherpa pet carriers that meet the UA dimension requirements (18x11x11 for soft-sided kennels). Both of these carriers weigh ~4 pounds. I've seen a weight limit of 20 pounds (pet+carrier) mentioned for UA on some 3rd-party blogs. My guess is that this is dated information back when UA / Continental were merging and that the current policy is based solely on carrier dimensions. For this specific trip I will be flying multi-destination (SFO, PIT, and EWR).

Sherpa Deluxe Medium Dimensions and Weight:
18x11x10.5
4 pounds

Sleepypod Air Dimensions and Weight:
Adjustable length, will meet 18x11x11 requirements
4 pounds

Background links...
cepheid Travel with Pets on UA sticky

UA.com in-cabin pet policy

FAQ Carry-On Pet Policy

Sleepypod Air

Sherpa Original Deluxe

Guaranteed On Board
I think the key thing from the UA policy is the following" ". . . the animal must be able to stand up and turn around comfortably."

My four pound dog can do that in her carrier under the seat in front of me. I would be quite surprised if your 19+ pound dog could do the same thing.

Good luck to you and your dog!

Tim
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If I had a 19 lb dog, i certainly wouldn't make it suffer in a carrier/stowage situation like that.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:34 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I have had no problems traveling with a pet on a 757. I did so last March, in fact. Now, I did have to downgrade on the 747 segment (which is a shame given the upper deck cubbies for the window seats would easily fit a pet carrier), but the next two flights were on 757s and weren't an issue.

I would be asking for a supervisor at that point. It is not up to the TSA. In fact, only once when traveling with a pet has UA given me any kind of printed receipt, and at that, it only said "excess baggage" or "special services fee" for the charge--nothing about a pet.

I have had to argue with a UA agent at least once when she tried to double-charge me (as I'd already paid over the phone and luckily had the pet's PNR handy; she was insisting the system didn't show payment).
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Quick question about picking up my new puppy - as I've never flown with a pet before. I'm flying out and back to pick her up in MSP in early October. She will be 9 weeks old and about 6 pounds. We are booked on the way back MSP-DEN-LAS. I bought the ticket 1 week ago and have a Pet Tracking Number for the return flight however I haven't been charged the $125 yet. If it matters I paid for my flight with a e-cert. The inital $125 charge was pending from United but still has never cleared.

Online in the reservation it shows:
1 Adult (18-64) $xxx.88
Additional Taxes/Fees $xx.72
1 In cabin Pet(s) $125.00
Total $xxx.60
However in the "view receipt" area it shows:
Fare Breakdown
Airfare: xxx.88 USD
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: xx.12
U.S. Flight Segment Tax: xx.00
September 11th Security Fee: x.60
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: xx.00
Per Person Total: xxx.60 USD

eTicket Total: xxx.60 USD

Form of Payment:
MISC DOCUMENT
The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: xxx.88 USD
The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: xx.72 USD

Fare Rules: Additional charges may apply for changes in addition to any fare rules listed.
NONREF/0VALUAFTDPT/CHGFEE
Cancel reservations before the scheduled departure time or TICKET HAS NO VALUE.
Will they just charge me the $125 at the airport? Should I be concerned about not being able to get on the flight if there are other pets already reserved? My reservation shows I am still eligible for a CPU - is that actually true? If it matters the flights are a RJ700 then a 739.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Quick question about picking up my new puppy - as I've never flown with a pet before. I'm flying out and back to pick her up in MSP in early October. She will be 9 weeks old and about 6 pounds. We are booked on the way back MSP-DEN-LAS. I bought the ticket 1 week ago and have a Pet Tracking Number for the return flight however I haven't been charged the $125 yet. If it matters I paid for my flight with a e-cert. The inital $125 charge was pending from United but still has never cleared.

Online in the reservation it shows:

However in the "view receipt" area it shows:

Will they just charge me the $125 at the airport? Should I be concerned about not being able to get on the flight if there are other pets already reserved? My reservation shows I am still eligible for a CPU - is that actually true? If it matters the flights are a RJ700 then a 739.
As to the "per ticket", view the original e-receipt and see if you find this information (or something similar) as this was on my e-receipt from this past May

On my e-receipt, there is section called

Additional Charges: Sun., Mar. 16, 2014/Visa XXXX was charged 125.00 USD for the following: InCabin Pet Fee / EDD 016xxxxxxxxxxxx (and this "016" number is completely different from the ticket number [only the 016 is the same])
If it's not showing, the pet may in fact not be ticketed and I would call reservations to confirm and if the pet is not ticketed, either have the reservations agent do it for you or see if you can do it on line

And I'm sure you've seen this page but just in case and there is a reference to "The number of in-cabin pets allowed varies by United Express® partner airline"

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../in_cabin.aspx
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Has anyone ever been booked on a 737 that got swapped for a 757 (or 767) lie flats with a pet?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
If it's not showing, the pet may in fact not be ticketed and I would call reservations to confirm and if the pet is not ticketed, either have the reservations agent do it for you or see if you can do it on line

And I'm sure you've seen this page but just in case and there is a reference to "The number of in-cabin pets allowed varies by United Express® partner airline"

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../in_cabin.aspx
The receipt definitively doesn't have that $125 charge. I've got a 3h layover in SFO on Sunday, is this something I should be able to handle at the club or do I need to call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.