Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Newest Travel Bank program
New UA "Travel Bank" option -- deposit funds and get a bonus

{UA} we’ve decided to discontinue the program as of April 23, 2019.
In particular, the united.com Club
united.com Club

As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, we’ve decided to discontinue the united.com Club. If you’re a current member, there are a few things we hope you keep in mind.

Although you’ll no longer be able to renew your membership, you’ll continue to receive the benefits of the united.com Club until your current membership period expires. If you booked any trips before the end of your current membership, we’ll credit any united.com Club benefits to your TravelBank after you’ve completed your trip.

For more questions about the program, call us at 1-800-UNITED-1.

Check your TravelBank balance

See full united.com Club terms and conditions
For those wondering when their united,com membership expires

Go to your account details and where you see
Travel Bank
$xx.xx
Exp. mm/dd/yyyy followed by a "?" in a circle

The visible Expiration is the Balance expiration date

Click on the "?" in a circle and you get a pop-up that includes a different date
"The united.com Club Membership
Exp: MM/DD/YYYY"

Recent activity, including subscription renewals, can be found in the same location by "View details"

United.com club

T&Cs

TravelBank Terms and Conditions

Key limitation -- only for UA/UX operated flights. Tickets with partner flights are not eligible for the use of Travel Bank funds.

Customer Support / missing credits contact: [email protected]
Also [email protected] which is web support.
Direct dial to web/.com support: (800) 396-1751
Note -- you will never get an email response but the credit, if deemed valid, should show-up in a week.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
In your email, include:
  • MP account number and name
  • Traveler(s) name, number of traveler if applicable
  • Member's united.com Club enrollment date; since XX/XX/XXXX valid through XX/XX/XXXX
  • Reservation confirmation number (PNR locator)
  • Flight number, origin/destination, and travel date
5 April 2018 -- UA started posting an "expiration date", appears to be at least 18 months after most recent activity (some are longer for unknown reasons)
also states
Some of your United®TravelBank Cash may expire on a different date than what’s displayed here. Please check your balance details for a complete history of your United®TravelBank Cash transactions and the expiration date for each amount.
Expiration had previously been in the T&Cs for some time (2 years of inactivity? but now is 18 months) and had stated an ETC would be issued if the funds did timeout. Unclear if that still applies.

The Gift Registry has been disabled since Fall 2017 (Sept?) (appears this may be related to a tax issue?)
As of 5 May 2018, it still states
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.
Around Sept 2018, wording changed to
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details.
To add funds: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Print Wikipost

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I need this to come back before the end of December so that I can use up my Amex Plat airline benefit.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Since I can't find it anywhere in the TravelBank T&C I thought I'd ask here:

Am I correct that if you use TravelBank funds to purchase a ticket (either in whole or in part) then you don't earn the $5 TravelBank credit for that ticket?

If I'm correct about that, what if you make a reservation for 2 tickets, paying one with TravelBank funds and one with cash. Should you earn $5 for the one you paid cash for or is the entire reservation ineligible?
You receive a $5 credit in your Travel Bank for any flight ticketed on united.com from your UA account. To maximize your $5 credit, if round trip is the same as two one-ways, make two one-way reservation ($5x2) instead of one round trip ($5).
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
I need this to come back before the end of December so that I can use up my Amex Plat airline benefit.
I've been waiting for this too. Instead, I've been using my AX to purchase United WiFi monthly subscriptions. That seems t get refunded by AX.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:35 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Just to be clear, are the funds in travel bank like miles in that they will not expire as long as there is some activity...?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by mr8
Just to be clear, are the funds in travel bank like miles in that they will not expire as long as there is some activity...?
Correct. Activity usually means new $5 being credited. I have not tried a reduction yet.
mr8 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct. Activity usually means new $5 being credited. I have not tried a reduction yet.
Afraid not...

Originally Posted by mr8
No. The new TravelBank expiration policy is that it expires when it expires, and different deposits may expire at different times. When they first announced this policy, people looked into their accounts and some saw several different line items for when their cash would expire. Personally, 100% of my TravelBank has had an expiration date of 3/31/2020 ever since they started the expiration policy earlier this year, despite the fact that I've added more to it in the meantime (my most recent credit is from a week ago).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:23 pm

I have found the Travelbank dollars worthless. As soon as any non-United flight is on a booking, it becomes impossible to redeem.
We fly only international, out of SFO's United's main hub. Our final destination nearly always includes SGN, which has no nonstop flight from any US airlines.
But United does have some nonstop flights to other destinations in Asia.
For example, for our next vacation, we are planning this itinerary :
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=S...;sd:1;t:f;tt:m
This includes two United branded flights - SFO-SIN and NRT-SFO . But there is also a non-United flight, SGN-NRT .
If I remove the SGN-NRT leg, I can use the Travelbank, but the price of the ticket doubles ! And my Travelbank balance is less than the difference.
Also, with only 1h45min connection time at NRT, I would not want to have these flights on separate tickets anyway.
I wish I had never gotten the Amex plat and added to my Travelbank.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
No. The new TravelBank expiration policy is that it expires when it expires, and different deposits may expire at different times. When they first announced this policy, people looked into their accounts and some saw several different line items for when their cash would expire. Personally, 100% of my TravelBank has had an expiration date of 3/31/2020 ever since they started the expiration policy earlier this year, despite the fact that I've added more to it in the meantime (my most recent credit is from a week ago).
My TravelBank expiration date changes as I receive more credits. Usual validity date is 1.5 years.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
My TravelBank expiration date changes as I receive more credits. Usual validity date is 1.5 years.
there is a note somewhere stating that individual credits may expire at different times...I think you have to scroll over a little info. icon. If you go into details it shows you when the individual credits expire.

The old old policy was that if you didn’t use it for 2 years (I think - or whatever the set time period was), the amount would be put into an ETC, which would then expedite a year after issue.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe

there is a note somewhere stating that individual credits may expire at different times...I think you have to scroll over a little info. icon. If you go into details it shows you when the individual credits expire.

The old old policy was that if you didn’t use it for 2 years (I think - or whatever the set time period was), the amount would be put into an ETC, which would then expedite a year after issue.
This is what I see in my account.

Balance Overview

Total available balance: modal window popup

Total available balance

Please note, your available balance may not include the most recent deposit.

$XXX.00

Cash expiring 2/29/2020: $XXX.00

There is no indication certain portion/s will expire at different date/s.
Xyzzy and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
This is what I see in my account.Balance Overview

Total available balance: modal window popupTotal available balance

Please note, your available balance may not include the most recent deposit.

$XXX.00

Cash expiring 2/29/2020: $XXX.00

There is no indication certain portion/s will expire at different date/s.
Mine shws this:
Balance Overview

Total available balance: $xxx.00
Cash expiring 3/31/2020: $xx.00

Cash expiring 4/30/2022: $xxx.00
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Mine shws this:
Balance Overview

Total available balance: $xxx.00
Cash expiring 3/31/2020: $xx.00

Cash expiring 4/30/2022: $xxx.00
Are all of them from $5/ticket credit? It seems very odd to have two different validity dates that are 25 months apart.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are all of them from $5/ticket credit? It seems very odd to have two different validity dates that are 25 months apart.
N ... some of the funds came from Amex Platinum cards when one could still deposit money.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
N ... some of the funds came from Amex Platinum cards when one could still deposit money.
I would assume Cash expiring 4/30/2022: $xxx.00 came from your Amex Platinum cards when one could still deposit money.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would assume Cash expiring 4/30/2022: $xxx.00 came from your Amex Platinum cards when one could still deposit money.
Given the amount of money in and out of my account and the detail displayed iit's not possible for me to tell right now. I've not kept track of the individual expiry dates. However, when today's flights post I should have some more $5 credits and we'll see hw the amounts for the two dates change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.