Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Newest Travel Bank program
New UA "Travel Bank" option -- deposit funds and get a bonus

{UA} we’ve decided to discontinue the program as of April 23, 2019.
In particular, the united.com Club
united.com Club

As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, we’ve decided to discontinue the united.com Club. If you’re a current member, there are a few things we hope you keep in mind.

Although you’ll no longer be able to renew your membership, you’ll continue to receive the benefits of the united.com Club until your current membership period expires. If you booked any trips before the end of your current membership, we’ll credit any united.com Club benefits to your TravelBank after you’ve completed your trip.

For more questions about the program, call us at 1-800-UNITED-1.

Check your TravelBank balance

See full united.com Club terms and conditions
For those wondering when their united,com membership expires

Go to your account details and where you see
Travel Bank
$xx.xx
Exp. mm/dd/yyyy followed by a "?" in a circle

The visible Expiration is the Balance expiration date

Click on the "?" in a circle and you get a pop-up that includes a different date
"The united.com Club Membership
Exp: MM/DD/YYYY"

Recent activity, including subscription renewals, can be found in the same location by "View details"

United.com club

T&Cs

TravelBank Terms and Conditions

Key limitation -- only for UA/UX operated flights. Tickets with partner flights are not eligible for the use of Travel Bank funds.

Customer Support / missing credits contact: [email protected]
Also [email protected] which is web support.
Direct dial to web/.com support: (800) 396-1751
Note -- you will never get an email response but the credit, if deemed valid, should show-up in a week.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
In your email, include:
  • MP account number and name
  • Traveler(s) name, number of traveler if applicable
  • Member's united.com Club enrollment date; since XX/XX/XXXX valid through XX/XX/XXXX
  • Reservation confirmation number (PNR locator)
  • Flight number, origin/destination, and travel date
5 April 2018 -- UA started posting an "expiration date", appears to be at least 18 months after most recent activity (some are longer for unknown reasons)
also states
Some of your United®TravelBank Cash may expire on a different date than what’s displayed here. Please check your balance details for a complete history of your United®TravelBank Cash transactions and the expiration date for each amount.
Expiration had previously been in the T&Cs for some time (2 years of inactivity? but now is 18 months) and had stated an ETC would be issued if the funds did timeout. Unclear if that still applies.

The Gift Registry has been disabled since Fall 2017 (Sept?) (appears this may be related to a tax issue?)
As of 5 May 2018, it still states
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.
Around Sept 2018, wording changed to
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details.
To add funds: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Print Wikipost

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
So with the united.com club and gift registry going away, the only way to earn TravelBank funds will be via the Chase CC, right?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
... I would not book one ways over Roundtrip to get an extra $5, but I certainly will book 8 separate reservations for a group of passengers rather than putting all 8 of them on one ticket.

While who am I to tell United how to run their business, I cannot remember a positive change of late. Always negative. I also do not like how they usually try to cloak their cuts as being something that customers want. I noticed with the lounge surveys that they often twist the questions into something that you can see they will use later to suggest that people do not want food in the clubs etc
well, just to be clear, you can’t put 8 passengers on a single ticket anyway...separate PNR or a single one, 8 passengers will have 8 tickets -1 for each. For TravelBank purposes, that’s 8 x $5 credit = $40 - no matter how many or few PNRs.

Also, while there certainly have been many cuts, there are some good things, too. I can tell you I think the decision to make the allowed bag weight 70lb for all premier levels is a positive.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Suspect this may be due to the rumored excise tax issues (and the refunds last year) and the total costs of handling such small transactions. It was a minor UA distinguisher but doubt it was widely used. If not for FlyerTalk I would have never known about this. There may have been a relatively small cadre that got these benefits -- certainty the target customer was not someone booking 100's of trips weekly.
It may have gotten to the point where the cost to administer this exceeded the benefits in UA's mind
i wonder if the tax issue was the straw that broke the camels back.

I tend to wonder if it was more the legacy aspect of this being started at a time when they were trying to incentivize folks to book online. Remember there was also a time that PMUA, and I think most airlines, gave you 500 bonus miles (I think, maybe it was some other number) if you booked your trip directly on the airline website. Wonder if they just never changed this program, maybe because there was also a real revenue line ties to it? And maybe they were ok not to touch this since the maintenance was probably pretty light. Until whatever issues happened with the gift registry (fraud was brought up as a possibility). I personally loved the registry - it paid for half of our honeymoon airfare, and there was a year where my wife contributed $X via her select card to get the leftover PQMshe needed for gold that year. And maybe the tax issue put it over the top from ‘relatively easy to maintain’ mode to ‘more trouble than its worth’ mode.

Originally Posted by swiftaw
So with the united.com club and gift registry going away, the only way to earn TravelBank funds will be via the Chase CC, right?
if the gift registry is no longer working, and the United.com club is gone, then yes, as far as Im aware the card rewards would be the only way to put new funds in the TravelBank.

you never know, though, maybe in addition to these changes, they’ll have other options. For example, what if VDB or other compensation just went into the TravelBank vs. into ETCs? That would make it much easier for customers to track/deal with.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I tend to wonder if it was more the legacy aspect of this being started at a time when they were trying to incentivize folks to book online.
Yes, precisely. This program goes back to around 2000 or so. They wanted people booking directly in order to cut out commission to travel agents.
For example, what if VDB or other compensation just went into the TravelBank vs. into ETCs? That would make it much easier for customers to track/deal with.
That's precisely why I don't expect it would ever happen. UA benefits substantially from breakage on those ETCs. They want to give the appearance of making them easy to use -- just put in the PIN during the booking process -- without actually encouraging people to use them.
mrt88 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
you never know, though, maybe in addition to these changes, they’ll have other options. For example, what if VDB or other compensation just went into the TravelBank vs. into ETCs? That would make it much easier for customers to track/deal with.
I agree with jsloan, UA benefits substantially from ETC breakage. Many forget them, misplace them or simply unable to use them for various reasons within one year. Unless they know how to maximize usage of ETC, otherwise I am sure breakage rate is very high. By added ETC value to TravelBank is a constant reminder to PAX.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I have had 8 people on same locator plenty of times, not sure why you think you cannot. I assure you, when I do it, I do not receive $5 per person.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I have had 8 people on same locator plenty of times, not sure why you think you cannot. I assure you, when I do it, I do not receive $5 per person.
Yes, you can have multiple people on a PNR, but not on a ticket. The United.com Club credit is supposed to be per-ticket; I’ve never booked an 8–passenger PNR, but I’ve certainly gotten $10 for a two-person booking.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan

Yes, you can have multiple people on a PNR, but not on a ticket. The United.com Club credit is supposed to be per-ticket; I’ve never booked an 8–passenger PNR, but I’ve certainly gotten $10 for a two-person booking.
As have I, but things like PNR splitting for CPU or changing flights can mess it up. When it did get messed up emailing fixed. I did do 4 on a single PNR (daughter's family -- award tickets) and got credit for all.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 28, 2019 at 7:14 pm
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
As have I, but thinks like PNR splitting for CPU or changing flights can mess it up. When it did get messed up emailing fixed. I did do 4 on a single PNR (daughter's family -- award tickets) and got credit for all.
same here. At one point, at least for me, splitting didn’t seem to be an issue. But more recently, maybe last year and a half or so, it is. When I don’t split, credit seems to be normal (I’m typically on PNRs with 3 total), but splitting only gets credit for 1. Emailing has always solved the issue - never get a response, but within a week of the request, the credit always gets added.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Does my TB credit survive after my account “expires” in a month? Do I need to use it ASAP or will it have a shelf life?
Old May 3, 2019, 1:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by saccoNY
Does my TB credit survive after my account “expires” in a month? Do I need to use it ASAP or will it have a shelf life?
There are two expiration dates, one for the balance and one for the "subscription." if you have had recent activity / credit, the balance expiration should be mid to late 2020 -- see what date is listed next to the balance in your account summary
Old May 3, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
There are two expiration dates, one for the balance and one for the "subscription." if you have had recent activity / credit, the balance expiration should be mid to late 2020 -- see what date is listed next to the balance in your account summary

thanks. Yes. Mine says 10/31/20. I’ll be sure to drain the tank by then. Too bad it’s been canceled. It was always nice to get a little something extra.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by saccoNY

thanks. Yes. Mine says 10/31/20. I’ll be sure to drain the tank by then. Too bad it’s been canceled. It was always nice to get a little something extra.
No need to drain, every time you redeem any amount it extends the life of the account.
saccoNY likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
No need to drain, every time you redeem any amount it extends the life of the account.
Oh wise UA Flyertalkers:

I do not have any UA related Credit Card. I had a United TravelBank account that I renewed each April for $25 and it allowed me to earn $5 on each ticket purchased directly from United. I noticed around March 2019, that I could not renew my TravelBank account. I called UA (Mileage Plus) and after consulting with several staff, could not get a straight answer about my account, except one comment that I did not renew my account. I redeemed my last $60 in TravelBank funds about two weeks ago. However, within 24 hours I cancelled the ticket. United "refunded" the $60 in my "TravelBank" account that now shows an expiration date of 10/21/2020. I have scoured this page to understand that status of the Travelbank and except for a one sentence wiki, I still do not understand if I will continue to earn $5 a ticket through 10/21/2020 or if only my $60 credit is valid until
Old May 4, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Sad to see it go

I should have been paying better attention and renewed before April. My current enrollment ends July 1 (funds good until end of 2020). I really can’t complain; it was a great deal for me the past 14 or so years and i’m not a bit surprised UA finally terminated it in its current form.
It would be nice to see them still do something else with it.

Last edited by Clincher; May 4, 2019 at 7:08 am
Old May 4, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpicur
I have scoured this page to understand that status of the Travelbank and except for a one sentence wiki, I still do not understand if I will continue to earn $5 a ticket through 10/21/2020 or if only my $60 credit is valid until
If you did not renew your United.com Club subscription in March, then you will no longer earn $5 per ticket.

They've discontinued all new subscriptions / renewals as of April 23.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.