Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Newest Travel Bank program
New UA "Travel Bank" option -- deposit funds and get a bonus

{UA} we’ve decided to discontinue the program as of April 23, 2019.
In particular, the united.com Club
united.com Club

As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, we’ve decided to discontinue the united.com Club. If you’re a current member, there are a few things we hope you keep in mind.

Although you’ll no longer be able to renew your membership, you’ll continue to receive the benefits of the united.com Club until your current membership period expires. If you booked any trips before the end of your current membership, we’ll credit any united.com Club benefits to your TravelBank after you’ve completed your trip.

For more questions about the program, call us at 1-800-UNITED-1.

Check your TravelBank balance

See full united.com Club terms and conditions
For those wondering when their united,com membership expires

Go to your account details and where you see
Travel Bank
$xx.xx
Exp. mm/dd/yyyy followed by a "?" in a circle

The visible Expiration is the Balance expiration date

Click on the "?" in a circle and you get a pop-up that includes a different date
"The united.com Club Membership
Exp: MM/DD/YYYY"

Recent activity, including subscription renewals, can be found in the same location by "View details"

United.com club

T&Cs

TravelBank Terms and Conditions

Key limitation -- only for UA/UX operated flights. Tickets with partner flights are not eligible for the use of Travel Bank funds.

Customer Support / missing credits contact: [email protected]
Also [email protected] which is web support.
Direct dial to web/.com support: (800) 396-1751
Note -- you will never get an email response but the credit, if deemed valid, should show-up in a week.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
In your email, include:
  • MP account number and name
  • Traveler(s) name, number of traveler if applicable
  • Member's united.com Club enrollment date; since XX/XX/XXXX valid through XX/XX/XXXX
  • Reservation confirmation number (PNR locator)
  • Flight number, origin/destination, and travel date
5 April 2018 -- UA started posting an "expiration date", appears to be at least 18 months after most recent activity (some are longer for unknown reasons)
also states
Some of your United®TravelBank Cash may expire on a different date than what’s displayed here. Please check your balance details for a complete history of your United®TravelBank Cash transactions and the expiration date for each amount.
Expiration had previously been in the T&Cs for some time (2 years of inactivity? but now is 18 months) and had stated an ETC would be issued if the funds did timeout. Unclear if that still applies.

The Gift Registry has been disabled since Fall 2017 (Sept?) (appears this may be related to a tax issue?)
As of 5 May 2018, it still states
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.
Around Sept 2018, wording changed to
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details.
To add funds: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Print Wikipost

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mrredskin
i've got $200 from the gift registry expiring in 40 days. never fly UA. does anyone have experience using funds for a refundable ticket past the expiry date and having them deposited back with a new date? based on language of "account activity" in the terms it shouldn't be deposited, but is worth the question in case it actually works. thanks.
If you are asking if a purchasing a refundable ticket allows you then to ask for a cash refund - no. The refund is back to the "original source of funding"
If a refundable ticket was purchased, you would have one additional year to make use of the funds (but it could only be used to purchase a UA ticket). So you can extend that life but can not get the cash.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you are asking if a purchasing a refundable ticket allows you then to ask for a cash refund - no. The refund is back to the "original source of funding"
If a refundable ticket was purchased, you would have one additional year to make use of the funds (but it could only be used to purchase a UA ticket). So you can extend that life but can not get the cash.
that would be perfectly ok with me. i'm not attempting to just get cash for it - only to actually put it to use somehow without losing the $$. UA is the least convenient option for me so that's why it's lingered so long.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
My current united.com Club membership expires in May 2019 and in the past few years, I have received emails asking me to renew my membership which I could do online instantly. However, now when i visit the club page, I do not even see an option to pay. I originally thought that it was because of my non-US address (I have a valid US and non-US address). But even after changing to my US address, I do not see that option. Have they discontinued the united.com Club? Anyone else seeing the issue?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
My current united.com Club membership expires in May 2019 and in the past few years, I have received emails asking me to renew my membership which I could do online instantly. However, now when i visit the club page, I do not even see an option to pay. I originally thought that it was because of my non-US address (I have a valid US and non-US address). But even after changing to my US address, I do not see that option. Have they discontinued the united.com Club? Anyone else seeing the issue?
That was exactly the same issue I experienced. You need to use this website: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...ub/SignUp.aspx

If you do not have a flight coming up soon, then only renew right before you purchase your next ticket. This way, you can prolong your validity date.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:41 am

That was exactly the same issue I experienced. You need to use this website: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...ub/SignUp.aspx

If you do not have a flight coming up soon, then only renew right before you purchase your next ticket. This way, you can prolong your validity date.
Thank you so much. That worked. How weird! I do have a flight coming up and still have about $35 balance in the bank
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Thank you so much. That worked. How weird! I do have a flight coming up and still have about $35 balance in the bank
You are welcome. Your $35 in travel bank remains even if your membership has expired.
IADFlyer123 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:09 am

You are welcome. Your $35 in travel bank remains even if your membership has expired.
Thats good to know because they recently put an actual expiration date on the balance of Aug 2020. Some folks have an arbitrary date whereas some have an 18-24 month expiration date.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Thats good to know because they recently put an actual expiration date on the balance of Aug 2020. Some folks have an arbitrary date whereas some have an 18-24 month expiration date.
The expiration date extends when you earn or redeem any funds from the bank.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It looks like the united.com club is gne effective today. I got this in email this morning:
MileagePlus # XXXXXXXX

We appreciate you being a member of the united.com Club. However, we’ve decided to discontinue the program as of April 23, 2019. We noticed you paid for additional years of the united.com Club beyond your current membership period, so we’ll refund your credit card with what you paid for those extra years. You’ll continue to receive credits in your TravelBank after you’ve completed travel for any tickets you purchased during your membership period. We hope you enjoyed being a part of the united.com Club and look forward to seeing you on board soon.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
It looks like the united.com club is gne effective today. I got this in email this morning:
MileagePlus # XXXXXXXX

We appreciate you being a member of the united.com Club. However, we’ve decided to discontinue the program as of April 23, 2019. We noticed you paid for additional years of the united.com Club beyond your current membership period, so we’ll refund your credit card with what you paid for those extra years. You’ll continue to receive credits in your TravelBank after you’ve completed travel for any tickets you purchased during your membership period. We hope you enjoyed being a part of the united.com Club and look forward to seeing you on board soon.
The United.com Club likely amounted to a hill of beans that got counted. RIP United.com Club.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
From the link on the UA website.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...b/default.html
As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, we’ve decided to discontinue the united.com Club. If you’re a current member, there are a few things we hope you keep in mind.

Although you’ll no longer be able to renew your membership, you’ll continue to receive the benefits of the united.com Club until your current membership period expires. If you booked any trips before the end of your current membership, we’ll credit any united.com Club benefits to your TravelBank after you’ve completed your trip.

For more questions about the program, call us at 1-800-UNITED-1.
My membership expires in October 2019, so I should still get credits until then.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For those wondering when their united,com membership expires

Go to your account details and where you see
Travel Bank
$xx.xx
Exp. mm/dd/yyyy followed by a "?" in a circle

The visible Expiration is the Balance expiration date

Click on the "?" in a circle and you get a pop-up that includes an different date
"The united.com Club Membership
Exp: MM/DD/YYYY"

Mine is early 2020
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
I wonder what this means for the Chase TravelBank Credit Card. Will the TravelBank remain, but you just won't earn $5 a ticket any more?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swiftaw
I wonder what this means for the Chase TravelBank Credit Card. Will the TravelBank remain, but you just won't earn $5 a ticket any more?
Yes, I'm sure. It's the United.com Club that's closing, not the TravelBank.

It's possible that they'll re-open the gift registry too.

I think a big part of the sticking point has been that somebody decided that tickets paid with United.com Club funds were actual discount fares and thus shouldn't have been subject to tax (a change I like!). However, that left them in a difficult position of having to manage two separate types of TravelBank cash -- United.com Club cash and other sources. If there's no more United.com Club...
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I can't imagine there were many profitable United.com club customers, either. I sure am not
jsloan and FlyngSvyr like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.