Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Newest Travel Bank program
New UA "Travel Bank" option -- deposit funds and get a bonus

{UA} we’ve decided to discontinue the program as of April 23, 2019.
In particular, the united.com Club
united.com Club

As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, we’ve decided to discontinue the united.com Club. If you’re a current member, there are a few things we hope you keep in mind.

Although you’ll no longer be able to renew your membership, you’ll continue to receive the benefits of the united.com Club until your current membership period expires. If you booked any trips before the end of your current membership, we’ll credit any united.com Club benefits to your TravelBank after you’ve completed your trip.

For more questions about the program, call us at 1-800-UNITED-1.

Check your TravelBank balance

See full united.com Club terms and conditions
For those wondering when their united,com membership expires

Go to your account details and where you see
Travel Bank
$xx.xx
Exp. mm/dd/yyyy followed by a "?" in a circle

The visible Expiration is the Balance expiration date

Click on the "?" in a circle and you get a pop-up that includes a different date
"The united.com Club Membership
Exp: MM/DD/YYYY"

Recent activity, including subscription renewals, can be found in the same location by "View details"

United.com club

T&Cs

TravelBank Terms and Conditions

Key limitation -- only for UA/UX operated flights. Tickets with partner flights are not eligible for the use of Travel Bank funds.

Customer Support / missing credits contact: [email protected]
Also [email protected] which is web support.
Direct dial to web/.com support: (800) 396-1751
Note -- you will never get an email response but the credit, if deemed valid, should show-up in a week.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
In your email, include:
  • MP account number and name
  • Traveler(s) name, number of traveler if applicable
  • Member's united.com Club enrollment date; since XX/XX/XXXX valid through XX/XX/XXXX
  • Reservation confirmation number (PNR locator)
  • Flight number, origin/destination, and travel date
5 April 2018 -- UA started posting an "expiration date", appears to be at least 18 months after most recent activity (some are longer for unknown reasons)
also states
Some of your United®TravelBank Cash may expire on a different date than what’s displayed here. Please check your balance details for a complete history of your United®TravelBank Cash transactions and the expiration date for each amount.
Expiration had previously been in the T&Cs for some time (2 years of inactivity? but now is 18 months) and had stated an ETC would be issued if the funds did timeout. Unclear if that still applies.

The Gift Registry has been disabled since Fall 2017 (Sept?) (appears this may be related to a tax issue?)
As of 5 May 2018, it still states
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.
Around Sept 2018, wording changed to
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details.
To add funds: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Print Wikipost

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
On the same screen that you enter your credit card details you can choose to use your credit. It's been a while since I checked but I didn't think it mattered if you had *A segments in the booking.
Old May 31, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
Originally Posted by star_world
On the same screen that you enter your credit card details you can choose to use your credit. It's been a while since I checked but I didn't think it mattered if you had *A segments in the booking.
Definitely, doesn't exist on my screen as I'm trying to redo the same booking...
Old May 31, 2012, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bouncingbug
Definitely, doesn't exist on my screen as I'm trying to redo the same booking...
Agreed - just tried a test booking with *A segments and it doesn't appear for me either.
Old May 31, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
There are all kinds of limits if you click through on the restrictions. In my case I couldn't use it for fees associated with award travel.
Old May 31, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by star_world
+1

I just did it last week to redeem $10 in TravelBank credit after using a revenue purchase (you generally taxes so you can't use it on reward bookings). It's there on the payment page.

Related (though neither directly answers):
  1. Travel Bank feature on "new" website?
  2. What is the united.com Club (formerly Continental TravelBank)
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Okay Now I'm starting to get frustrated. The shorted $15 still has not appeared in my TravelBank, and the promised points have not posted to my Mileage Plus account.
The promised 15k in compensation RDMs appeared in my account today, but the $15 of missing TravelBank credit has not appeared. I still have no idea if the 15k miles is supposed to replace the $15, or if I should still expect it. The communications from United are entirely opaque on this subject.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
How to Post Missing United.com Club Credits

1K Voice via e-mail gave me this link that does not work.

http://insidecoair/Reservations/trai...lubRequest.asp

The issue is splitting reservations for upgrades. I split one booking into three, and only received the $5 credit for wife's reservation. Nothing for mine or daughter's, so I'm shorted $10 (2 @ $5) credit. This link was supposed to get me somewhere on united.com where I could request the credits.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by buddlakecoflyer
Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.
I had the same issue and expect to have it again this week. I submitted a request to Customer Service via the website, including all of the new PNRs. Received a totally generic reply three weeks later. It made no mention of the problem, though it included the text of my message, so I know what it was a reply to. Apologized and promised miles in compensation w/in three days. No amount mentioned. Around a week later I received 15k miles! That was for $15 in missing credit.

Though I found this to be very generous compensation, I still don't know if United plans to credit me the missing $15. I also have no idea if they have done anything to prevent the problem from coming up on my upcoming flights (I have a reservation for five people). I have no idea if the 15k miles are compensation for all future failures to give me the correct credit, or if I will be able to request missing credit in the future.

My posts starting at #66 here give more details.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:49 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
I currently have a reservation on hold (via FareLock).

Suppose I go and sign up now for the United.com Club, then later complete the purchase of the held reservation.

Will I earn $5 after travel, or would the fact I put the FareLock on it before signing up for the United.com Club make it ineligible? The T&C are rather vague on that point.
I believe I can answer this with: "NO!"

I'm going to check with UA about this one, but my most recent trip was originally put on hold via FareLock on 3/5; I signed up for United.com club on 3/6; I purchased the held fare on 3/8. $5 credit did NOT post for this itinerary.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: UA GS
united.com Club Refund Purgatory

Hi there,

A couple of weeks ago, i tried to book a flight on the website and I elected to use $10 from my TravelBank towards the price of the ticket. I got the regular first confirmation email, but the reservation never ticketed. I called back and told them that it didn't ticket with 5 or 10 minutes that it has generally taken since March. This was on a Saturday night, and I was flying at 7:00am the next day, so it was important that it be ticketed immediately. After conferring with the appropriate department, the reservations agent assured me that they were keeping an eye on the reservation and that it would be ticketed within a few hours. It never was, so I called reservations again and the agent and I agreed that I would just create a new reservation and she would cancel out the first one (at no penalty, being within 24 hours). I did just that, but this time, of course, there was no $10 in my TravelBank to use as I completed the purchase. The second try ticketed nearly immediately.

I flew the flight (under the second PNR) but am now out $10. After being bounced between the 1K desk and the web support phone, and then eventually dumped to a Chase agent for no reason, I eventually got a direct number to the refunds department. The agent had me verify what happened and, while he was on the phone, create a case on the website. Several days later, I checked the status of the refund, which was an ominous "Please contact your Customer Service Representative at 1-800-WECARE2," which I did. I ended up in a phone tree that told me to go back to the refunds section of the website, so I called back the direct line to the refunds department. After conferring with his supervisor for a while, the agent told me that the issue was that the original reservation was under a hold that would have to be removed by a something or other account department before the refund to my TravelBank would be processed. He said he would connect me to the appropriate person, after giving me the direct line (800) 451-100. The call was connected and answered by a recording identifying itself as the "United Airlines Executive Desk." I was then connected to an offshore agent that identified herself as a domestic reservations agent.

At this point, the $10 is not worth the time I have wasted trying to get it back, but, like everything that United has taken from me since March and not fulfilled (global upgrades, regional upgrades, miles earned on UA/CO flights, miles earned on *A partner flights, and cancelled UA and *A award flights), I will fight tooth and nail get it returned to me.

So, has anyone, former CO fliers or current UA fliers, successfully had money refunded to their TravelBank? If so, how did it happen? How long did it take? And what the heck is the "United Airlines Executive Desk"??
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
This sounds very similar to the bug with electronic travel certificates (ETCs) where you apply it, it takes it, it debits it, and then the ticket doesn't issue, leaving you with no ticket, and a used/debited cert.

Fortunately that problem is common enough that they have a procedure (void and reissue the cert or call in for your next booking to have the value manually applied).

I would try calling web support on this because they're probably most familiar with this sort of bug. Since CO's cert/credit validation is before the ticketing process, so when the ticketing process fails, the cert is already used. Another joy of no instant ticketing.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: UA GS
Thanks for the quick reply. I did talk to web support near the beginning of this, and surprisingly the united.com phone support agent admitted that he had no idea what the united.com Club was after I pressed him on it. If I recall, that's how I ended up being directed to Chase customer service. Maybe I'll give them another call on Skype and try again while I enjoy my second hour of my hold for the United refunds line.

The new airline is really something.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 2:18 pm

Well, it looks like the 15k miles compensation was not just United giving up.

I received another email today, this one less generic, but totally incorrect.
sent: Jun 24, 2012 12:06 PM
>To: LEXDEVIL@XXXXXX
>Subject: Re: Other (KMMXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)
>
>MileagePlus account - YCXXXXXX -
>
>Dear Ms. XXXXXX:
>
>We’re always glad to hear from Premier Gold members like you. Thanks
for
>writing.
>
>I am sorry, but I can not verify the $15.00 credit you believe is due
on
>the confirmation numbers you have provided. You may request the refund

>through the refund department found under the 'contact us' tab on
>united.com.
>
>We’re glad we could help. Don't hesitate to contact us again if there’s

>anything else we can do.
>
>Regards,
>
>Martha AXXXX
>MileagePlus
Oh dear. To which I replied:
I think that you misunderstood my request. I am not due a refund. I am due $15 credit in my TravelBank account. This program is an old CO program that United has adopted post-merger. For a $25 membership fee per annum, members are supposed to receive $5 in credit for each ticket they purchase on united.com while they are logged in to their MP account. The $5 per ticket is credited approximately 3 days after the journey is completed.

The problem that is occurring now is that when individuals are upgraded, they are divided from the initial PNR. Once the PNR is divided, the purchaser of the ticket no longer receives credit for the travel. You should be able to check the history of the divided PNRs to confirm that they were divided from the original record. You can then check my TravelBank account to see that I did not receive full credit.

I have attached a copy of the FAQ from the united.com website so that you can see the terms. I have also attached my current balance and the original receipts so that you can see that I did not receive full credit. If you follow up on my reservation, you will see that Ms. Sachs and I were divided from the original PNR (CCXXXX) and placed on PNR C0XXXX. I received $5 credit for Ms. Mackenzie, who remained on the original PNR, but no credit for myself or Ms. Sachs. On PNR CCXXX, I received credit for the four remaining passengers, but not Mr. Hines, who was divided onto PNR C0XXX.

Given that this program requires a paid membership, it is a real problem that United is failing to meet the terms of the agreement.

Please follow up on this.

Thank you.
I've also followed up with a phone call. Thirty minutes of bouncing around from the Philippines to India. Shockingly, the second person at web support seems to know about the program. No one else had ever heard of it. I'm back on hold, but hopeful that I may have a solution to offer soon.

Shockingly, the second person at web support seems to know about the program. No one else had ever heard of it. I'm back on hold, but hopeful that I may have a solution to offer soon.
One hour and six minutes invested. Upshot is that the guy who had actually heard of TravelBank took all of the PNRs in question and my MP number, did a bit of research, and took the mess to a supervisor named Vishal. Word is that it will take some time to fix this, but that Vishal will call me back w/in 24 hours. Once I hear back, I will report on the outcome. I hope to have a definitive answer re: how to go about getting missing TravelBank credit. It may be that the solution is not worth the price (in terms of time invested), but at least we'll know what it is.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:42 pm

Update, updated.

Well, Vishal has missed his 24 hour call back window. Cue Jeopardy theme.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Well, Vishal has missed his 24 hour call back window. Cue Jeopardy theme.
I also have $15-$20 outstanding that I am about to write off. The bouncing back and forth between different call centers and promises is not worth the $15. Anyone have a direct phone number or email to this department that can sort it out?

I admit I made a mistake of paying $25 and signing up for it I will not repeat it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.