Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Newest Travel Bank program
New UA "Travel Bank" option -- deposit funds and get a bonus

{UA} we’ve decided to discontinue the program as of April 23, 2019.
In particular, the united.com Club
united.com Club

As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, we’ve decided to discontinue the united.com Club. If you’re a current member, there are a few things we hope you keep in mind.

Although you’ll no longer be able to renew your membership, you’ll continue to receive the benefits of the united.com Club until your current membership period expires. If you booked any trips before the end of your current membership, we’ll credit any united.com Club benefits to your TravelBank after you’ve completed your trip.

For more questions about the program, call us at 1-800-UNITED-1.

Check your TravelBank balance

See full united.com Club terms and conditions
For those wondering when their united,com membership expires

Go to your account details and where you see
Travel Bank
$xx.xx
Exp. mm/dd/yyyy followed by a "?" in a circle

The visible Expiration is the Balance expiration date

Click on the "?" in a circle and you get a pop-up that includes a different date
"The united.com Club Membership
Exp: MM/DD/YYYY"

Recent activity, including subscription renewals, can be found in the same location by "View details"

United.com club

T&Cs

TravelBank Terms and Conditions

Key limitation -- only for UA/UX operated flights. Tickets with partner flights are not eligible for the use of Travel Bank funds.

Customer Support / missing credits contact: [email protected]
Also [email protected] which is web support.
Direct dial to web/.com support: (800) 396-1751
Note -- you will never get an email response but the credit, if deemed valid, should show-up in a week.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
In your email, include:
  • MP account number and name
  • Traveler(s) name, number of traveler if applicable
  • Member's united.com Club enrollment date; since XX/XX/XXXX valid through XX/XX/XXXX
  • Reservation confirmation number (PNR locator)
  • Flight number, origin/destination, and travel date
5 April 2018 -- UA started posting an "expiration date", appears to be at least 18 months after most recent activity (some are longer for unknown reasons)
also states
Some of your United®TravelBank Cash may expire on a different date than what’s displayed here. Please check your balance details for a complete history of your United®TravelBank Cash transactions and the expiration date for each amount.
Expiration had previously been in the T&Cs for some time (2 years of inactivity? but now is 18 months) and had stated an ETC would be issued if the funds did timeout. Unclear if that still applies.

The Gift Registry has been disabled since Fall 2017 (Sept?) (appears this may be related to a tax issue?)
As of 5 May 2018, it still states
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.
Around Sept 2018, wording changed to
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details.
To add funds: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Print Wikipost

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:45 am

Anyone replicate this issue, I'd guess it was a one time thing.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by channa
Good point. That's exactly why I'm not a member of the united.com club.

Sure, I could pay the $25 and probably buy 20 tickets and make $100. But for that $75 profit in funny money, it would probably cost me a few hours of aggravation since this is all run on CO's flaky systems, and as you know, this stuff probably would never post reliably.

Many of us have already spent enough time on the phone with UA since 3/3 reconciling systems-induced problems. The last thing we need is more of that sort of thing, just to save $4 a ticket.
I guess I learned the lesson the hard way. I spent $25 before all the fiasco and now I am waiting for even one credit to post on the account. Any suggestions on how to follow up on this? Same 1K line or yet another unpublished number to deal with?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
I guess I learned the lesson the hard way. I spent $25 before all the fiasco and now I am waiting for even one credit to post on the account. Any suggestions on how to follow up on this? Same 1K line or yet another unpublished number to deal with?
You realize you need to complete travel before the credit posts right? I also have my doubts that everything will post smoothly, but I haven't completed that many trips since signing up.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by maize&blue
You realize you need to complete travel before the credit posts right? I also have my doubts that everything will post smoothly, but I haven't completed that many trips since signing up.
It has been more than 3 weeks since I completed my last trips.
Old May 10, 2012, 1:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My first $5 rebate showed up (roughly 3 days post last flight on the itin) before flight miles

BTW, why is the annual fee called a "Gift Registry Contribution"
Understand there is a Gift Registry that can feed also into the travel bank, but you would thing it would have been called a Travel Club Fee.
Old May 10, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs down

Two trips post-March 3rd system cutover/disaster.

Neither $5 credit has posted to my Travel Club, now united.com Club, account.
Old May 10, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
I received some (but not all) credit promptly.

Unfortunately, divided records (caused by the upgrade process) cost me credit for three tickets) that concluded on May 1. I did receive credit for the other eight. I contacted customer service through the website, included the new reservation numbers, and await credit. I will update once I receive it.

If anyone knows a better way to get results, please let me know.
Old May 13, 2012, 1:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Travelbank

Can someone advise whether or not funds available in my Travelbank can be used against an online miles + cash upgrade?
Old May 13, 2012, 9:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
My first $5 rebate showed up (roughly 3 days post last flight on the itin) before flight miles ...
happen again, before the miles for a trip has posted, the travel club credit has shown up in the travel bank - within 3 days of the initial flight.

In fact the return mileage credit for the earlier trip have not yet posted 5 days after the flight
Old May 25, 2012, 11:34 am

Update

Well, I finally heard back from Customer Service on the night on the 22nd. The reply offers some bonus miles, which is a nice touch, but makes no mention of my problem, nor does it promise to credit the missing $15. If by tonight the miles and credit do not appear, they'll have missed their self-imposed "within 3 working days deadline." Will let you know what happens.

Dear Lexdevil:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

I am sorry we were unable to respond to your request sooner. The merger
of United and Continental Airlines has been a successful one, but there
have certainly been challenges.

An airline merger of this size has never been accomplished before now.
Some facets of our airline may be different, but our fundamental
commitment to our valued customers has not wavered. As a MileagePlus
member, your business has never been more important. Please be assured
we do understand your concerns, and they have been documented for review
and appropriate internal action.

Please visit us online at www.united.com as additional travel needs
arise. Many inquiries about our MileagePlus program can be answered
through our online FAQ.

While my reply is brief and not as detailed as I would like, I want you
to know I very much appreciate your business. To thank you for your
patience and loyalty, I have added bonus MileagePlus miles to your
account. You will see the miles added to your account within three
business days.

We are building an airline that will earn your confidence and approval,
and we look forward to welcoming you on board your next United Airlines
flight.

Sincerely,

Dan Thompson
Senior Manager

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Submitted: 5/4/2012 1:57:58 PM
Remote Host: 173.13.178.36
User Agent: Firefox
Signed In: Yes

Name: Lexdevil

Subject: Other
Reply: Not applicable

Message: Because United splits reservations in order to process
upgrades, I did not receive TravelBank credit for all of the tickets I
purchased for a recent trip from SFO to Kentucky. I received credit for
confirmation number XXXXX and confirmation number XXXXX, but did not
receive credit for the divided reservations. Their confirmation numbers
were XXXXX (1 ticket) and XXXXX (2 tickets). Please credit my account
the $15 in travel credit that I am owed. Thank you.

Flight Number: 486

Flight Date: 4/25/2012

Approximate Departure Time: Late Evening

Origin: San Francisco, CA (SFO)
Destination: Cleveland, OH (CLE)

Airport: None
Date: None
Old May 25, 2012, 11:39 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
happen again, before the miles for a trip has posted, the travel club credit has shown up in the travel bank - within 3 days of the initial flight.

In fact the return mileage credit for the earlier trip have not yet posted 5 days after the flight
Even with the improved posting times for flight miles (2 days for my last 4 flights), I still got the travel bank credit before the miles.
Old May 26, 2012, 1:08 pm

Update, updated.

While the missing $15 has not appeared in my TravelBank, and the promised miles have not shown up in my account, I received this email yesterday:
15000 bonus miles have been added to the MileagePlus account, XXXXX.

The reference for this item is: XXXXX

For current information on your MileagePlus balance, as well as information on the latest services available to you as a valued member of MileagePlus, please visit our website at www.united.com.
I assume that this is the bonus promised in the previous email, and I expect it to appear shortly.

I have mixed feelings about this whole process. I am startled by the generosity of the bonus points. I am, however, confused about a couple of things:

1)Because the initial response to my request to be credited my missing TravelBank credit never mentioned the nature of my request, I have no idea if United plans to give me this credit. While 15k miles more than compensates for $15 in TravelBank credit, I would still like to know if I am being compensated for the credit, or merely for the inconvenience of having to request it.

2)I have no idea if this problem (lost TravelBank credit due to auto-splitting of itineraries) is expected to continue and for how long. I have a five person itinerary coming up early next month, and I would like to know if I am going to have to request credit for anyone who gets split off of the original PNR.

Overall, I'm pleased with United's generosity. I really wasn't complaining, only requesting missing credit. I think this generosity must mean that United is noticing that its frequent flyers are very unhappy, and I wonder if we are in for a short period of inflated compensation for elite flyers who do not have a history of complaining too much.

I will post again when the miles and/or TravelBank credit post to my account.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by lexdevil
I have mixed feelings about this whole process. I am startled by the generosity of the bonus points. I am, however, confused about a couple of things:

1)Because the initial response to my request to be credited my missing TravelBank credit never mentioned the nature of my request, I have no idea if United plans to give me this credit. While 15k miles more than compensates for $15 in TravelBank credit, I would still like to know if I am being compensated for the credit, or merely for the inconvenience of having to request it.

2)I have no idea if this problem (lost TravelBank credit due to auto-splitting of itineraries) is expected to continue and for how long. I have a five person itinerary coming up early next month, and I would like to know if I am going to have to request credit for anyone who gets split off of the original PNR.

Overall, I'm pleased with United's generosity. I really wasn't complaining, only requesting missing credit.
Okay Now I'm starting to get frustrated. The shorted $15 still has not appeared in my TravelBank, and the promised points have not posted to my Mileage Plus account. Had United given me some time frame for posting the miles, or mentioned whether I would ever get the $15 credit, I could relax. As it is, I don't know if it is too soon to contact United again, and I'm concerned that if I try to relax about this I will just forget and let it slide.

Does anyone have post 3/3 experience with requesting/receiving missing TravelBank credits and/or miles from Customer Service? If so, can you give me an idea how long it took so I can decide when to follow up on this?
Old May 29, 2012, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The united.com club (CO TravelBank) is basically a bribe for booking direct on united.com. For your $25, it can be fairly lucrative if you buy a lot of tickets on united.com -- but also a royal PITA.

If the fare does not require a roundtrip, book each direction individually, as you get $5 ticket (you can book multiple travellers on the same PNR, just pay attention to the "split reservation" probelm noted below). I'd note that this is also useful for upgrade reasons, especially with companions. On the other hand, I believe this could hurt you if you needed to cancel the reservation and pay a cancellation fee (a lot of my personal domestic tickets are so cheap though, that I'd essentially lose the full value by cancelling anyway).

Where it gets confusing is when you start dividing the record for upgrades. A lot of times, the system then fails to give you the $5 credit for these additional tickets -- although I'd note that I did get the credit this weekend for split reservations.

Bottomline, if you don't buy, say, 20 tickets (10 roundtrips, bought each way) a year through united.com, don't bother with this program because it won't be worth the trouble after paying your $25. If you do buy more tickets than that, I would join if you're willing to monitor your credits.
Old May 31, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
Travelbank - how to use the credit?

Hi,

I just booked tickets on united.com and never had the option to use my Travelbank credit (from global entry rebate). Do I have to call UA to use this credit? Is a flight (mixed *A and UA) purchased on united.com not eligible?

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.