Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Newest Travel Bank program
New UA "Travel Bank" option -- deposit funds and get a bonus

{UA} weve decided to discontinue the program as of April 23, 2019.
In particular, the united.com Club
united.com Club

As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, weve decided to discontinue the united.com Club. If youre a current member, there are a few things we hope you keep in mind.

Although youll no longer be able to renew your membership, youll continue to receive the benefits of the united.com Club until your current membership period expires. If you booked any trips before the end of your current membership, well credit any united.com Club benefits to your TravelBank after youve completed your trip.

For more questions about the program, call us at 1-800-UNITED-1.

Check your TravelBank balance

See full united.com Club terms and conditions
For those wondering when their united,com membership expires

Go to your account details and where you see
Travel Bank
$xx.xx
Exp. mm/dd/yyyy followed by a "?" in a circle

The visible Expiration is the Balance expiration date

Click on the "?" in a circle and you get a pop-up that includes a different date
"The united.com Club Membership
Exp: MM/DD/YYYY"

Recent activity, including subscription renewals, can be found in the same location by "View details"

United.com club

T&Cs

TravelBank Terms and Conditions

Key limitation -- only for UA/UX operated flights. Tickets with partner flights are not eligible for the use of Travel Bank funds.

Customer Support / missing credits contact: [email protected]
Also [email protected] which is web support.
Direct dial to web/.com support: (800) 396-1751
Note -- you will never get an email response but the credit, if deemed valid, should show-up in a week.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
In your email, include:
  • MP account number and name
  • Traveler(s) name, number of traveler if applicable
  • Member's united.com Club enrollment date; since XX/XX/XXXX valid through XX/XX/XXXX
  • Reservation confirmation number (PNR locator)
  • Flight number, origin/destination, and travel date
5 April 2018 -- UA started posting an "expiration date", appears to be at least 18 months after most recent activity (some are longer for unknown reasons)
also states
Some of your UnitedTravelBank Cash may expire on a different date than whats displayed here. Please check your balance details for a complete history of your UnitedTravelBank Cash transactions and the expiration date for each amount.
Expiration had previously been in the T&Cs for some time (2 years of inactivity? but now is 18 months) and had stated an ETC would be issued if the funds did timeout. Unclear if that still applies.

The Gift Registry has been disabled since Fall 2017 (Sept?) (appears this may be related to a tax issue?)
As of 5 May 2018, it still states
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.
Around Sept 2018, wording changed to
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details.
To add funds: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Print Wikipost

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:35 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hertz PC
This was a really nice benefit for me just on the $5 per ticket carry over the past few years. I book a lot of travel for colleagues (and book all one-way legs) on my itinerary so it amounted to nearly $1,000 a year for me. I'll naturally miss that but it was nice while it lasted. I couldn't for the life of me really understand how this program was beneficial for United, so not terribly surprised to see it go.

As an aside it lists my United.com Club expiration date as 5/31/2020 in my "subscriptions" link but 6/16/2019 in my "?" bubble next to my TravelBank balance. I would imagine that it's the shorter duration one.

Last edited by LIH; Apr 24, 2019 at 8:42 am
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I can't imagine there were many profitable United.com club customers, either. I sure am not
Originally Posted by LIH
I couldn't for the life of me really understand how this program was beneficial for United, so not terribly surprised to see it go.
The point was never for the $25/year to be profitable. They knew it wouldn't be. The point was twofold: 1 - to move some bookings to United that would otherwise go to other carriers, and, more importantly, 2 - to get people to book on the United.com (ne Continetnal.com -- this is an old program) website.

When it was first instituted, I believe Continental was paying commission on all airfares above $400. Since a standard commission was 10% of the base fare, a flat $5 on all tickets seemed like a better deal.

UA has probably decided that their commission costs are low enough now that the program no longer makes financial sense.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Here's one possible unintended consequence that might just cost United: I bet many folks booked two one-ways instead of a RT in order to get $10 instead of $5. If the entire trip needed to be changed/canceled that's two change fees, not one.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Just got off the phone with united.com support, you can no longer renew your united.com Club membership. Once your membership expires, you cannot earn a $5 credit per ticket purchased on united.com.
CSR was correct after all. It took UA until yesterday to implement it. Glad I renewed it before yesterday.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:46 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Here's one possible unintended consequence that might just cost United: I bet many folks booked two one-ways instead of a RT in order to get $10 instead of $5. If the entire trip needed to be changed/canceled that's two change fees, not one.
100% true in my situation, though I'm mostly booked on flexible fares.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Gift Registry official dead too!

Wow! End of an era One of the best UA secrets IMO. And btw I did not a get an email lol

Edit:
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, I'm sure. It's the United.com Club that's closing, not the TravelBank.

It's possible that they'll re-open the gift registry too.
Double Wow! Looks like they've decided to close the gift registry too! As recently as March 23rd it still said under maintenance. I don't recall seeing it reported anywhere. I'd assume both happened on April 23rd. So I guess it's not coming back after all!

As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, weve decided to discontinue the united.com gift registry program. Although youll no longer be able to create a new registry or add to your existing one, you can still book travel using the TravelBank balance linked to your current registry until your balance expires.

Last edited by sexykitten7; Apr 25, 2019 at 1:24 pm Reason: Added quote and further comment
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Wow! End of an era One of the best UA secrets IMO. And btw I did not a get an email lol

Edit:

Double Wow! Looks like they've decided to close the gift registry too! As recently as March 23rd it still said under maintenance. I don't recall seeing it reported anywhere. I'd assume both happened on April 23rd. So I guess it's not coming back after all!
Such a stupid move from UA.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Nice of UA not to send the email to everybody. I sent them a message a few weeks back about how I had not been getting the $5 credit on a few tickets I booked. They claimed my membership lapsed, though I never got an email informing me it was expiring. UA then advised I could renew online. I did just that and paid the $25 to extend again until next year.

Not a word from UA.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For those wondering when their united,com membership expires

Go to your account details and where you see
Travel Bank
$xx.xx
Exp. mm/dd/yyyy followed by a "?" in a circle

The visible Expiration is the Balance expiration date

Click on the "?" in a circle and you get a pop-up that includes an different date
"The united.com Club Membership
Exp: MM/DD/YYYY"

Mine is early 2020
Just curious, what date in 2020? Both mine and my wife's say the membership expires 3/23/2020. I don't remember my exact date for my membership, but it was definitely in March. Don't remember my wife's exact renewal, but I do remember it being somewhat on the opposite time of the year - I thought maybe October. So not sure why we both have the same expiration date, unless that's the last date of the program.

Another thing that is interesting: I was on auto-renew, and just looked and don't see a charge for me this year - I have consistently had the $25.00 charged on March 3 or 4 in previous years. So why I wasn't charged, but still have my membership valid is confusing. All I can think of is they extended it for everyone until that time?

Neither of us have received emails, though maybe since the expiry date isn't until next year, they will do them later?

Originally Posted by swiftaw
I wonder what this means for the Chase TravelBank Credit Card. Will the TravelBank remain, but you just won't earn $5 a ticket any more?
I hope the TravelBank stays. I just got the card in Dec. and love having that as an option to meet the PQD waiver while getting better rewards in the categories where I don't get 2 or 3 X on my MP Select.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Just curious, what date in 2020? Both mine and my wife's say the membership expires 3/23/2020. ...
Earlier in 2020
1 year exactly from my last renewal, earlier this year.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I hope the TravelBank stays. I just got the card in Dec. ....
I have the card also, use it most for "risky use" credit card situations.

Was hoping to see if it waived the united.com annual fee as reported up thread.

This may now explain why a few months back it became hard to figure out how to renew.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Was hoping to see if it waived the united.com annual fee as reported upthread..
Interesting, I didnt know that, and would explain why my United.com club membership extended to 2020, even though I just realized they never charged me (I only got he card in Dec, so would also explain why this was the first year with.no charge. Just looked, and it would also explain why they havent charged my wife for United.com Club, either, as I just went back to check. Interesting they seem to give out this benefit with the card, but never promoted it.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
the besupport2 email usually gets missing funds posted within 1-2 days, but i've emailed them twice about a trip i took in march, to no avail. that email address might be extinct now.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by riphamilton
the besupport2 email usually gets missing funds posted within 1-2 days, but i've emailed them twice about a trip i took in march, to no avail. that email address might be extinct now.
I emailed them at that address on April 3 for missing money and it posted within a few days of that so the email was working then.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
This is a HUGE negative for me. I book literally hundreds of flights every week, so its a pretty painful cut. As to why it was beneficial for United, people like me have an incentive to book on them over other carriers. Look at it like a commission. While we book a lot of one-way flights any way due to the way we travel, I would not book one ways over Roundtrip to get an extra $5, but I certainly will book 8 separate reservations for a group of passengers rather than putting all 8 of them on one ticket.

While who am I to tell United how to run their business, I cannot remember a positive change of late. Always negative. I also do not like how they usually try to cloak their cuts as being something that customers want. I noticed with the lounge surveys that they often twist the questions into something that you can see they will use later to suggest that people do not want food in the clubs etc
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
... While who am I to tell United how to run their business, I cannot remember a positive change of late. Always negative. ...
Well, while agreeing there have been many / most negative changes , there have been a few interesting items, PremiumPlus, faster flight posting, actually seeming to be on schedule for Polaris retrofits (after a rough start), more UC refurbs, and some others --- but overall 80/20 -- 80% downgrades

But getting back on OT

Suspect this may be due to the rumored excise tax issues (and the refunds last year) and the total costs of handling such small transactions. It was a minor UA distinguisher but doubt it was widely used. If not for FlyerTalk I would have never known about this. There may have been a relatively small cadre that got these benefits -- certainty the target customer was not someone booking 100's of trips weekly.
It may have gotten to the point where the cost to administer this exceeded the benefits in UA's mind

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.