Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Newest Travel Bank program
New UA "Travel Bank" option -- deposit funds and get a bonus

{UA} we’ve decided to discontinue the program as of April 23, 2019.
In particular, the united.com Club
united.com Club

As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, we’ve decided to discontinue the united.com Club. If you’re a current member, there are a few things we hope you keep in mind.

Although you’ll no longer be able to renew your membership, you’ll continue to receive the benefits of the united.com Club until your current membership period expires. If you booked any trips before the end of your current membership, we’ll credit any united.com Club benefits to your TravelBank after you’ve completed your trip.

For more questions about the program, call us at 1-800-UNITED-1.

Check your TravelBank balance

See full united.com Club terms and conditions
For those wondering when their united,com membership expires

Go to your account details and where you see
Travel Bank
$xx.xx
Exp. mm/dd/yyyy followed by a "?" in a circle

The visible Expiration is the Balance expiration date

Click on the "?" in a circle and you get a pop-up that includes a different date
"The united.com Club Membership
Exp: MM/DD/YYYY"

Recent activity, including subscription renewals, can be found in the same location by "View details"

United.com club

T&Cs

TravelBank Terms and Conditions

Key limitation -- only for UA/UX operated flights. Tickets with partner flights are not eligible for the use of Travel Bank funds.

Customer Support / missing credits contact: [email protected]
Also [email protected] which is web support.
Direct dial to web/.com support: (800) 396-1751
Note -- you will never get an email response but the credit, if deemed valid, should show-up in a week.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
In your email, include:
  • MP account number and name
  • Traveler(s) name, number of traveler if applicable
  • Member's united.com Club enrollment date; since XX/XX/XXXX valid through XX/XX/XXXX
  • Reservation confirmation number (PNR locator)
  • Flight number, origin/destination, and travel date
5 April 2018 -- UA started posting an "expiration date", appears to be at least 18 months after most recent activity (some are longer for unknown reasons)
also states
Some of your United®TravelBank Cash may expire on a different date than what’s displayed here. Please check your balance details for a complete history of your United®TravelBank Cash transactions and the expiration date for each amount.
Expiration had previously been in the T&Cs for some time (2 years of inactivity? but now is 18 months) and had stated an ETC would be issued if the funds did timeout. Unclear if that still applies.

The Gift Registry has been disabled since Fall 2017 (Sept?) (appears this may be related to a tax issue?)
As of 5 May 2018, it still states
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.
Around Sept 2018, wording changed to
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details.
To add funds: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Print Wikipost

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, FTR Summit
United TravelBank - roundtrip vs oneway

So I understand I accrue $5 per ticket. No difference if it's round trip or one way. Therefore, assuming the fare is the same, I'd book everything one way and get $10, right? What am I missing....
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by newfather
So I understand I accrue $5 per ticket. No difference if it's round trip or one way. Therefore, assuming the fare is the same, I'd book everything one way and get $10, right? What am I missing....
Correct -- 2 OWs will earn $10.

However, 2 OWs mean you risk 2 cancellations fees. And travel waivers may on cover one of the tickets.

OWs also have the advantage on changes in the sense that the other part of the trip is not repriced.

Note this will work only if the price of RT and 2 OWs are the same. True for most(?) domestic routes and untrue for most international routes.
drewguy likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 6, 2017 at 1:06 pm Reason: travel waivers
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Correct. Main thread is

Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
1) more issues if IRROPS arise
2) sometimes the tickets price more expensively by a marginal amount as OW vs. RT, eliminating the benefit of this. Noticed this on an EWR-ATL trip I was taking...RT was $20 cheaper, so I booked that instead of 2 OW tickets.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
1) more issues if IRROPS arise
2) sometimes the tickets price more expensively by a marginal amount as OW vs. RT, eliminating the benefit of this. Noticed this on an EWR-ATL trip I was taking...RT was $20 cheaper, so I booked that instead of 2 OW tickets.
depends. Two OW can also be less expensive. Flights to Canada consistently are that way..not sure if it’s partially because (IIRC) Canada collects HST on the full value of a round trip ticket, but only on the outbound from Canada if booked OW.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by emcampbe
depends. Two OW can also be less expensive. Flights to Canada consistently are that way..not sure if it’s partially because (IIRC) Canada collects HST on the full value of a round trip ticket, but only on the outbound from Canada if booked OW.
Tickets with origin in Canada use a different fare table, and so are priced differently.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:35 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I have only booked one-ways (domestically) for the last 2 years specifically for the TravelBank impact. I am often booking 1-2 other colleagues on my locator as well so it really does add up over 100+ legs in a year. I have really never had an issue with irrops. Agents have always been willing to help me out. The cancellation fee part is true but I only have to scrap maybe 2-3 legs a year (often with less value than $200 for that leg) as I have a pretty self-directed travel schedule.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:22 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Thumbs down Travel Bank deposit option still under maintenance

It appears that the Travel Bank deposit option is still under maintenance.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by tcl
It appears that the Travel Bank deposit option is still under maintenance.
For a month. Never heard back from any parties I emailed either.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You are aware, aren't you, that there's an active thread here about an instance of TravelBank fraud? UA might have shut it down temporarily for investigation.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You are aware, aren't you, that there's an active thread here about an instance of TravelBank fraud? UA might have shut it down temporarily for investigation.
Yes I read about that, doubt related.

Last edited by Pat89339; Oct 13, 2017 at 1:32 am Reason: TOS 12
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, FTR Summit
Good points - thanks!

Thank you
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:31 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Used some pending 3k$ from travelbank for a ticket for family members, which hasn't ticketed for over 12 hours. Any idea who can help? 1k desk transferred to web support, who said someone has to manually look at it and approve.

I am not worrying about the fraud stuff, since the family members are son and daughter in law with grandson in lap, but I hate when tickets go into limbo. They were the last 2 seats in biz on a flight, so I don't want any surprises.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sahiljain22
Used some pending 3k$ from travelbank for a ticket for family members, which hasn't ticketed for over 12 hours. Any idea who can help? 1k desk transferred to web support, who said someone has to manually look at it and approve. ....
That seems to be a regular practice for large $$$ uses of travelbank.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sahiljain22
Used some pending 3k$ from travelbank for a ticket for family members, which hasn't ticketed for over 12 hours. Any idea who can help? 1k desk transferred to web support, who said someone has to manually look at it and approve.

I am not worrying about the fraud stuff, since the family members are son and daughter in law with grandson in lap, but I hate when tickets go into limbo. They were the last 2 seats in biz on a flight, so I don't want any surprises.
confused, what do you mean by ‘pending’? Is the amount showing in the Travelank as ‘available’ or do you mean it is showing as ‘pending’ still. My experience is it takes 24-48 hours for funds deposited in the travel bank to become ‘available’ and that you can’t use it if it was still ‘pending’. Also, if still pending, and it somehow allowed you to use to your ticket, makes perfect sense they wouldn’t actually let it ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.