Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gone : Express Meal service option in United Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:24 am
Original Poster

The new menu's made its debut this month, internationally. The cover art is a nice change for the the close up of Rosemary (the herb).

Among the items I notice that is gone now is the express meal option.
I inquired with the purser, and was told that that is indeed true.

How do you folks feel about this?

Personally on EWR-LHR, I need an express meal. In the winter its 5 hours at best
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
That's weird- it was offered on both carriers, so why the merged one wouldn't have it is kinda a stumper...
At least, I know CO did it... UA did too, didn't they?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Yes, UA also offered Express Dine...
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Well, the purser/menu/route was a PMUA route/plane.

I wonder if this will stay with United BusinessFirst, which apparently is a slightly more elevated class of service?

CO had this for years. Granted I was sometimes the only one who took advantage of this, but to remove it entirely! Why?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hmmm. The preview.united.com service description says "Printed menus on board will indicate available flexible dining options that allow you to customize your dining options and create a palate-pleasing experience that’s all your own.", http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ss/dining.aspx.

This is a change from the current language: "BusinessFirst also has a popular alternative for those that wish to sleep or work during the scheduled meal service. Our "Executive Meal Option" allows you to dine at anytime during the flight, just let your crew member know when you are ready." at http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...st/dining.aspx.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
CO BF menus still show the following -

If you prefer more time to work or relax, ask your flight attendant about our expedited dining service. At your request, we will present your main meal followed by dessert based on your schedule.

I could see having a choice of expedited service at the beginning of the flight vs. full service (but not delaying service until later), but getting rid of it entirely makes no sense. These are your "low maintenance" passengers who are going to sleep most of the flight or be busy with work anyway.

I've used this many times (particularly on "shorter" BF flights) and would be dissapointed if they didn't offer it any more.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: QR platinum
Express dining was mentioned on the LHR-ORD C menu on Monday:

"If you prefer more time to work or relax, ask your flight attendant about our expedited dining service. At your request, we will present your main meal followed by dessert based on your schedule."
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
It was on LHRSFO the other day.

On a related point, the cover art was nice, but the food was awful. Should've brought my own sandwich.

Makes me wonder if UA is trying to compete in this market or just deliver the minimum service level to be able to call it "Business Class". The only good thing I can say about the experience is that I got here safely.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Did you menu look like this?

These menus are 02/12, for IAD-Europe-IAD. They probably haven't hit PMCO and other UA routes. But the purser did say "express meal, sayonara". Really?.

Trust me, its gone. (Express Meal Option). If you not happy with this please voice your displeasure. Personally I find this change appalling.

I wonder if this was part of the FA negotiations for them to do THE LEAST WORK POSSIBLE.

Front

Back
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Express was offered on my flights LAX-LHR 1/29 and LHR-ORD 2/2. It was not different food as in the past, just the option of having all the courses brought at once.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:42 am
Original Poster

That has always been the case.

My point is : Unless this is printed on the menu's, as a service option, the FA's have the option of not offering it (for what ever reason)
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: QR platinum
Flew yesterday ORD-LHR with HNML pre-ordered and loaded. As the menu was mentioning express dining, I asked the purser for it... She said she would have *informed* the FA, but clearly didn't. In fact, the FA offered me the regular appetizer tray, and was not even aware of the special meal (which she then found after I informed her of its presence).

Big to the purser, but did not want to press (frankly I cared only about going to sleep and the FA delivered a good service except for missing the express dining). So it may be that some UA folks are not really doing "the best to take care of us" despite what the highest level of management suggests... To be fair, two weeks ago there was a London based purser on the flight and he provided outstanding service including express dining, and he did not say he would have informed the FA regarding my choice... but simply said something like "certainly, of course"...

OOT, but the veggie spring roll made its comeback as appetizer in the regular menu
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Those that saw the express meal option - did you get the old menu (rosemary) or the new one?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by meFIRST
The cover art is a nice change for the the close up of Rosemary (the herb).
Hmm, looks more like Sage to me.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I suspect that the new United will be more likely to offer the "United Express" meal option in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.