stopover luggage question

Old Feb 7, 12, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

stopover luggage question

I am booking via UA an international itin with a stopover SEA->PEK, PEK->SFO->SEA, on the way back, I need to stay at SFO for 3 days, so should I take out my luggage at SFO and recheck in 3 days later? if so, will I be charged $25 for the 1st bag check-in even that it is allowed free for the international segment PEK->SFO ?
Old Feb 7, 12, 10:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis First
Since SFO is your first port of entry in the US you will need to go through customs with your bags anyway. I don't think they will let you check your bags in 3 days early. I think there should be no fee for the bag. You can always explain to the agent that it is a part of an international itenary.
Old Feb 7, 12, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Agreed

Originally Posted by MidTierStatus View Post
Since SFO is your first port of entry in the US you will need to go through customs with your bags anyway. I don't think they will let you check your bags in 3 days early. I think there should be no fee for the bag. You can always explain to the agent that it is a part of an international itenary.
For sure they won't accept the bags. They especially won't charge for bags (or shouldn't) if it is a through fare with a stopover in SFO. You might need to be assertive but nice though - sometimes you get weird agents. I had a really rough one in SFO regarding a SWU and a > 4 hour connection (to have lunch with friends) that she claimed was a full stopover. She'd never heard of the 24 hour rule. I just went and found another agent. I do hate it when they don't know what they are talking about and then get all nasty despite ones best efforts to stay reasonable with a fool. Fortunately this is very rare as most agents are wonderful.

Search this Thread