FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Valid Star Award Routing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1311250-valid-star-award-routing.html)

legionnaire Feb 6, 2012 8:40 pm

Valid Star Award Routing

Trying to book a saver award on SQ going JFK-(FRA)-SIN-SYD-SIN-(FRA)-JFK. From all i've seen on the star alliance award chart here, this seems a valid routing.

Am I right? Anything to watch out for?

rankourabu Feb 6, 2012 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by legionnaire (Post 17965665)
Anything to watch out for?

A sore butt from all that flying in coach .....

astroflyer Feb 6, 2012 9:48 pm

Years ago I did a similar routing before I was even a FT lurker.
I did JFK-(FRA)-SIN-PVG-SIN-(FRA)-JFK

I didn't even know that the plane was stopping in FRA until I got on...I thought it was going the other way around the world. It's valid since you're not actually executing a stopover in FRA. There is a small chance that an uninformed agent might try to charge you more for stopping in Europe. If that happens, follow FT Rule #1, politely say good bye and call back.

Now, the real trick may be availability, and yes, this is a painful, painful route. Changi is the most beautiful airport I've ever seen though.

legionnaire Feb 6, 2012 10:46 pm

The first preference continues to be to fly to akl or syd from a pacific gateway i.e Vancouver, lax or sfo. But the non-stops from there have no availability currently based on what ana shows.
Flying out of jfk in itself is something i am reluctant to do given how weather and traffic related delays can cascade through the three nyc airports.

whakojacko Feb 7, 2012 12:15 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 17965683)
A sore butt from all that flying in coach .....

Its possible to get in C, SQ has been releasing a few seats here and there on some A380/77W routes (I flew JFK-FRA-SIN on the 380 as part of an award 3 weeks ago). But its *very* hard to get, and likely only on short notice

astroflyer Feb 7, 2012 10:39 am

Originally Posted by legionnaire (Post 17966131)
The first preference continues to be to fly to akl or syd from a pacific gateway i.e Vancouver, lax or sfo. But the non-stops from there have no availability currently based on what ana shows.

There were reports a few weeks ago of good availability of SFO/LAX-SYD on UA metal. The 747 in Y is one step up from the NY metro, but it might be faster.

encierro98 Feb 7, 2012 1:14 pm

I also had a couple questions about my proposed award routing JNB to IAH and before I call into the call center I thought I would get your advice.

I have several different routing options I am still tinkering with and wanted to see if they were all valid.

Option 1 – It is quite long but it allows me to see friends in Perth and Hong Kong, plus I have never been to that side of the world, and don’t often have the chance because most of our holiday time is spent going back to South Africa to see family.

1) JNB to PER (13:25) on SA biz
2) Stay overnight in PER with friends
3) PER (07:35) to SIN (12:50) on SQ biz 772
4) Overnight stop in SIN
5) SIN (7:35) to HKG (11:20) on SQ biz
6) Overnight stop in HKG with friends
7) HKG (9:55) to NRT (14:45) on NH biz
8) NRT (17:00) to SFO (8:55) on UA first or alternatively 25 minutes later on NH biz
9) SFO to IAH whatever

Option 2 -skips the Perth stop and save quite a bit of time
1) JNB to HKG (12:25) on SAA biz
2) Overnight stop in HKG
3) HKG (9:55) to NRT (14:45) on NH biz
4) NRT (17:00) to SFO (8:55) on UA first or alternatively 25 minutes later on NH biz
5) SFO to IAH whatever

Option 3 - goes through Europe
1) JNB – ZRH on LX first (if I can get it)
2) ZRH – States on LH F or LX F or UA F

How does UA First compare to CO BF product. I know CO BF product is a Business product, but if my only options are UA F or CO biz is it worth the extra miles to go UA F? I would like to try something but I really don’t mind CO BF.

Anyway any opinions or advice is appericated

Pingtung Feb 7, 2012 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by encierro98 (Post 17970113)
I also had a couple questions about my proposed award routing JNB to IAH and before I call into the call center I thought I would get your advice.

I have several different routing options I am still tinkering with and wanted to see if they were all valid.

Option 1 – It is quite long but it allows me to see friends in Perth and Hong Kong, plus I have never been to that side of the world, and don’t often have the chance because most of our holiday time is spent going back to South Africa to see family.

1) JNB to PER (13:25) on SA biz
2) Stay overnight in PER with friends
3) PER (07:35) to SIN (12:50) on SQ biz 772
4) Overnight stop in SIN
5) SIN (7:35) to HKG (11:20) on SQ biz
6) Overnight stop in HKG with friends
7) HKG (9:55) to NRT (14:45) on NH biz
8) NRT (17:00) to SFO (8:55) on UA first or alternatively 25 minutes later on NH biz
9) SFO to IAH whatever

Option 2 -skips the Perth stop and save quite a bit of time
1) JNB to HKG (12:25) on SAA biz
2) Overnight stop in HKG
3) HKG (9:55) to NRT (14:45) on NH biz
4) NRT (17:00) to SFO (8:55) on UA first or alternatively 25 minutes later on NH biz
5) SFO to IAH whatever

Option 3 - goes through Europe
1) JNB – ZRH on LX first (if I can get it)
2) ZRH – States on LH F or LX F or UA F

How does UA First compare to CO BF product. I know CO BF product is a Business product, but if my only options are UA F or CO biz is it worth the extra miles to go UA F? I would like to try something but I really don’t mind CO BF.

Anyway any opinions or advice is appericated

Options 1 and 2 won't work - they fall well above the 12585 limit for MPM +15%. I wouldn't spend more for UA F if it would be the only F flight and there is CO BF available. You're more likely to find UA F award space though.

rankourabu Feb 7, 2012 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pingtung (Post 17970363)
Options 1 and 2 won't work - they fall well above the 12585 limit for MPM +15%. I wouldn't spend more for UA F if it would be the only F flight and there is CO BF available. You're more likely to find UA F award space though.

MPM+15% is only UA rules - CO rules are much more relaxed :)

100% agree on point #2.

encierro98 Feb 7, 2012 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pingtung (Post 17970363)

That is what common sense tells me too, but I have seen posts here that offer the contrary like http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17265336-post15.html

Also were does the MPM number come from. I know the route out there I am taking is around 11,000 miles and the route back I am suggesting in option 2 is 15,200.

Pingtung Feb 7, 2012 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 17970412)

100% agree on point #2.

Well if CO's computers accept a routing from JNB-IAH through Australia and Asia, I'd love to get a copy of that validation system to uhm "test" out some routes ;)

Originally Posted by encierro98
That is what common sense tells me too, but I have seen posts here that offer the contrary like Best routing for CPT-IAD?

Also were does the MPM number come from. I know the route out there I am taking is around 11,000 miles and the route back I am suggesting in option 2 is 15,200.

I pulled up the MPM from ExpertFlyer, it's just the Maximum Permitted Mileage on the given JNB-IAH - UA as part of it's current rules, allows for MPM +15% as the validation. Not sure how they pulled that one off, my guess is that there was a published fare with that valid route back in 2010 when the rules were different. Back then the rules were either a published valid route OR MPM.

encierro98 Feb 7, 2012 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 17970412)

100% agree on point #2.

On Point #2, if I do get an F award on LX or LH, would it be worth it to add a stop to go on UA F over CO biz.

Also I presume you would recommend ANA biz over UA F too? That route would definitely be the only F flight. Of course I imagine it will be easiest to book the UA F leg of it.

rankourabu Feb 7, 2012 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by encierro98 (Post 17970526)
On Point #2, if I do get an F award on LX or LH, would it be worth it to add a stop to go on UA F over CO biz.

Also I presume you would recommend ANA biz over UA F too? That route would definitely be the only F flight. Of course I imagine it will be easiest to book the UA F leg of it.

here is my humble reasoning:

If already paying for F because of other segments - take United F
however,
If it involves paying EXTRA just to take United F - dont.

encierro98 Feb 7, 2012 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 17970586)
here is my humble reasoning:

If already paying for F because of other segments - take United F
however,
If it involves paying EXTRA just to take United F - dont.

Thank you, :)

Now that that is sorted, I will have to test the waters with CO and see if I can get that award through Asia to book in Biz. Are there any additional fees if later I find availability on in F through Europe and switch to that if I am not in the 21 day window (no Status). So changing the routing and upping my flights from biz to first.

mobilebucky Feb 7, 2012 4:14 pm

Can some one help me and find out what is the MPM for ORD-HKG? Thanks:)

Update:
Nevermind, UA told me MPM for ORD-HKG is 9348 miles, I am over a few on ORD-FRA-BKK-HKG:( will try CO route then.