Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impact of VX status match on UA (and AA) elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

As reported on some of the blogs today, Virgin America is doing a status match for UA and AA elite members. In the past some have said the lack of a status match prevents them from moving over. Given issues with UA post 3/3 and now this match, do we see many folks making the big switch?

For me, VX works well (SFO-based), but while they go to many cities, international coverage is non-existent. I'll do the match, but not sure if I can/should maintain it beyond the trial period.

Got elite status on United Air Lines or American Airlines? Upgrade to Elevate® Gold or Elevate® Silver on the airline that makes flying good again.

http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/statusmatch
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to pass. Don't get me wrong, I think United is one of the worst airlines out there and I think VX has an amazing product, but the frequent flyer program is still pretty terrible. With United or AA, my work trips net me a nice annual international family vacation in some great foreign airline's international F product. With VX, I get to go to Vegas. It's simply not comparable.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I, too, am going to pass on this one. Mostly because Virgin doesn't have the route network to support my extensive travel. Interestingly, my most recent flight on UA LAX to SYD was the best UA flight of my life. This isn't going to win me back from AA for most of my flying, but it was a refreshing change of pace.

I am definitely passing this on, though. I know a few SFO-based domestic flyers who have already switched their loyalties to Virgin.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Easy decision for me as 2/3 of all my flying is international, thus won't move. I enjoy the domestic schedule and upgrades I get from UA as well.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: Free agent!
I don't see much of an impact because their route network is so limited. Never mind international flying but what happens when your company needs to send you to, say, MSN or TUS for work? Also, this seems more like a challenge than anything as they're only matching until the end of April.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Too bad they don't fly to IAH or HOU. Or else I would seriously consider trying them.

They currently only serve one market in Texas, DFW. If this airline wants to survive long-term, it has to add more business markets in the center of the country. Why aren't they serving the Atlanta, Houston, Denver, or Phoenix markets?

If it wants to compete with the big boys, it has to fly where the big boys fly. Otherwise, this will become just another failed experiment.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I can hit their 13k mark by April and still renew 1K, so I'll just do both. I don't know how many can say that though.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
Probably going to pass this time. As much as I love Virgin, their frequent flyer program is so lacking. Elevate Silver benefits are far below any of the other carriers (Main Cabin Select only at 12 hours before, and no comp upgrades to First). And not to forget that they do charge YQ for international redemptions on Virgin Atlantic. Pretty bad program compared to the legacy carriers.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
I submitted for a match, since a lot of my itins are PHL/EWR-SFO, although I don't know that I'll hit the challenge threshold by the end of April to keep status. It's actually a shame - I just booked IAD-SFO-PHL and had considered VX but stuck to UA due to status.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:28 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
VX just announced point redemption on Hawaiian, FWIW.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
I did the match but won't qualify by April '13. FF program is severely lacking, revenue based, and route network non-existent. I have a BOS-LAX r/t on VX beginning of Dec so figured why not get the match and benefits for at least this one trip.

Their in-flight experience is fantastic and I love having a fast wi-fi connection but doesn't make sense to move biz over from AA and UA given their respective alliances and international awards.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I think that this is a better pitch for UA PLTs/GOLDs, and AA PLTS, neither of which really get upgrades, and therefore are trading more usable miles (AA/UA) for much better service and extra leg-room and free food.

If I was doing 50-75K miles out of SFO, then VX makes more sense. Clearly it does not for AA EXPs, or even UA 1Ks.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: MYOB
VX ended Q1-2012 With $111MM. Ended Q2 with $82MM unrestricted cash. unless they stop the bleeding, that FF Match won't be worth......anything.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by xzh445
VX ended Q1-2012 With $111MM. Ended Q2 with $82MM unrestricted cash. unless they stop the bleeding, that FF Match won't be worth......anything.
Bingo!! I don't see them being around too much longer so I would not risk buying tickets on them. Not that VX does me any good living in Houston. Even if they were financially sound, they appear to only be of interest to trans-continental travellers......with a few exceptions.

My bet is VX will not exist by the end of 2013.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I really like the VX product...but they do not fly where I go even though I'm based in SFO. Plus...I'd move from *G to Silver and have relatively few perks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.