Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by sethb
Why is that? It's not as if any other country much cared about all the regular TSA nonsense. For instance, .uk doesn't require laptops to be removed from bags ("We know what a laptop looks like in the x-ray.")
I asked the same question. The process at the Pre-Check lane is still more than in many countries when flying back to the US. I transited through HKG last week and kept my shoes on and 1 oz bag & laptop in my bag. Only similarity was confiscating the bottle of water.

(According to the agent), the governement agreements specify the more intrusive screening, and those would need to be changed. Maybe (my guess) it has something to do with the US being one of the few countries that mixes its outbound domestic and international departures?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by wxguy
Current TSA policy as I understand it is that no pre-check if there is any international segment on your itinerary. That includes the domestic portion of an itin after re-entering the USA from overseas. So for example, if you fly NRT-ORD-BOS, you should *not* get pre-check at UA T1 at ORD following your ride on the train from the International Terminal. If anyone *does* get it, that would be interesting to know!
A couple reports of this in the AA forum. Believe one mentioned that the OP was flying LAX-JFK (redeye), connecting to an international flight on another OW carrier the following morning. Pre-Check worked for them at LAX.

Originally Posted by beveritt
Had a chat with the CLEAR attendant at DEN this morning about PreCheck. He thinks at the beginning only the south checkpoint will have Pre as they have already set up the lane there but no work yet on the north side. The CLEAR lane on the south is right next to the Pre lane so it would be easy to send someone from the Clear lane to PreCheck.

The other interesting bits are that CLEAR's BP scanners already read and indicate LLL by displaying a big green check versus a blue one, so they're ready to send people to the Pre lane. Also the CEO of CLEAR was just in DEN working with TSA supposedly on their integration/cooperation.
Thanks for the info. ^

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I asked the same question. The process at the Pre-Check lane is still more than in many countries when flying back to the US. I transited through HKG last week and kept my shoes on and 1 oz bag & laptop in my bag. Only similarity was confiscating the bottle of water.

(According to the agent), the governement agreements specify the more intrusive screening, and those would need to be changed. Maybe (my guess) it has something to do with the US being one of the few countries that mixes its outbound domestic and international departures?
Pre-Check is more than most countries? How so? The only thing that you need to remove for Pre-Check is metal from your pockets. Laptop & everything stays in the bag.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Originally Posted by beveritt
Had a chat with the CLEAR attendant at DEN this morning about PreCheck. He thinks at the beginning only the south checkpoint will have Pre as they have already set up the lane there but no work yet on the north side. The CLEAR lane on the south is right next to the Pre lane so it would be easy to send someone from the Clear lane to PreCheck.

The other interesting bits are that CLEAR's BP scanners already read and indicate LLL by displaying a big green check versus a blue one, so they're ready to send people to the Pre lane. Also the CEO of CLEAR was just in DEN working with TSA supposedly on their integration/cooperation.
Great info! CLEAR + Pre-Check = head explode

Also - I'm glad they're setting up pre-pre-check scanners so people can skip the "regular" elite BP line if they're pre-check and just zoom to the front. They need something like this at SEA for peak hours. Last time there was a significant line they had a TSA agent walking up the line, taking people's BPs or phones, scanning them and pulling pre-checks out. I was definitely happy they were doing this but it was very inefficient!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Denied again at ORD on an AMEX-issued ticket. Even had them change my middle name/initial a few weeks ago. Big bummer.
After reading your posts about not being PreCheck eligible when on travel agency tickets I was curious about my upcoming business travel issued by my company's travel agency HRG.

I booked the ticket using Concur and HRG ticketed it a few weeks ago. My Global Entry card has my middle name on it. I have put my PASSID number in my Concur profile however I do not use my middle name on any of my tickets (booked either through HRG or when I book personal travel at United.com), and so when the UA reservation was created by HRG my Secure Flight info at United.com did not have my PASSID number or my middle name. I added my middle name and PASSID number myself at United.com right after HRG ticketed the reservation. Today when I checked in for my flight tomorrow I scanned the bar code on my BP and sure enough I'm PreCheck eligible.

I take it from your post that you asked AMEX to alter the name on the ticket... but really what you should try is to do it yourself at United.com.. you will probably have success so long as AMEX at least has your first/last names spelled correctly. Having a middle name on the actual ticket is not necessary...only in the Secure Flight info.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:13 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I take it from your post that you asked AMEX to alter the name on the ticket... but really what you should try is to do it yourself at United.com.. you will probably have success so long as AMEX at least has your first/last names spelled correctly. Having a middle name on the actual ticket is not necessary...only in the Secure Flight info.
I think iluv posted that he is not a GE member. Maybe I am mistaken, but I think I saw that.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:20 pm

Pre-Check MCO B Side

Just flew out of Orlando on Saturday, and TSA Supervisor said that Pre-Check is going to be on the B Side at MCO this week. Hope this is true as MCO B Side is one of the worse airports to go through. I'm flying back this week and will report if the rumors are true. Safe Travels!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Ari
I think iluv posted that he is not a GE member. Maybe I am mistaken, but I think I saw that.
This is correct.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
I noted this elsewhere, but MCO (Orlando) now has an elite line on the UA/US/AA side of the airport (gates 1-59) that is allegedly a temporary elite line until Pre-Check comes to that side.

Recall that PreCheck is running on the Gates 60-129 side, which serves DL, WN and other non-Star Alliance airlines. PreCheck is allegedly coming to the UA/US/AA side in November, but until then UA elites were having to suffer in the same old genpop line. No longer. The elite line is well-signed and at the far right end of the Gates 1-59 screening area. It may have supplanted the TSA expert traveler line.

The claim that the elite line is a temporary measure came from the CLEAR attendant. Unclear what, if any, cooperation there will be at MCO between CLEAR and Pre-Check.

But, for now, UA flyers have access to an elite security line at MCO. PreCheck allegedly coming soon.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
This is correct.

With the amount you fly?

Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by InHouseCounsel
0 for 3 here. Most recently was today. I took the advice in this thread and checked the bar code using an app on my phone. I was please to see the rumored "3". Walked up to scanner at DCA. Smiled as I heard 3 beeps, and was then promptly directly to the regular line. I asked the TSA person why, since I thought 3 beeps meant I was in, but she insisted these were 3 beeps that meant I had to "see a supervisor" but she would let me instead proceed to the regular line. The guy behind me got the same story. As I stood in line I heard her say to another TSA person that she hated pre checked because it was causing the passengers to complain more.

Is there a such thing as three "good" beeps versus three "bad" beeps?
I would have asked to see the supervisor. Was it three quick beeps or three slow beeps?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
Originally Posted by northsideguy
Just flew out of Orlando on Saturday, and TSA Supervisor said that Pre-Check is going to be on the B Side at MCO this week. Hope this is true as MCO B Side is one of the worse airports to go through. I'm flying back this week and will report if the rumors are true. Safe Travels!
Point of clarification: At MCO there is no Terminal A checkpoint or Terminal B checkpoint. Half of Terminal A goes to the Gates 1-59 checkpoint and the other half of terminal B goes to the Gates 60-129 checkpoint. Similarly, half of Terminal B goes to the Gates 1-59 checkpoint while the other half of Terminal B goes to the Gates 60-129 checkpoint.

In addition, each checkpoint has a left half and a right half - neither of which is at all obvious to flyers. For example, a UA flyer would follow the signs from the UA ticket counter at the end of Terminal A to the Gates 1-59 checkpoint. The flyer might find a big line and get in it, since there are no visible alternatives. But what isn't obvious is that the flyer is merely in the "left half" of the Gates 1-59 checkpoint and there is a mirror image "right half" just a few feet away. That line might have no one in it, and it feeds into the same overall checkpoint and spits people out in the same spot.

It can be very confusing when discussing one checkpoint vs. the other checkpoint, and it took me about a year of regular flying out of MCO (as well as picking up inbound pax on a variety of airlines) to really figure it out.

What I think the OP meant to say is that a TSA supervisor told him that Pre-Check is coming to the Gates 1-59 checkpoint at MCO this week. (PreCheck is already operating at the Gates 60-129 checkpoint.) I, too, will be back through there this weekend and will report in also.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

With the amount you fly?

+1

Time to claim that GS GE credit. Or Amex?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:52 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

With the amount you fly?

I'm sure he has his reasons.

Anyway, how his middle name appears on the reservation has nothing to do with nothing in his case. I guess that certain TA-issued tickets don't work for PreCheck for those who qualify through flight activity alone-- that is, those who don't have a TT membership.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:55 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flavorflav
But, for now, UA flyers have access to an elite security line at MCO.
Finally. ^^^
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flavorflav
I noted this elsewhere, but MCO (Orlando) now has an elite line on the UA/US/AA side of the airport (gates 1-59) that is allegedly a temporary elite line until Pre-Check comes to that side.

Recall that PreCheck is running on the Gates 60-129 side, which serves DL, WN and other non-Star Alliance airlines. PreCheck is allegedly coming to the UA/US/AA side in November, but until then UA elites were having to suffer in the same old genpop line. No longer. The elite line is well-signed and at the far right end of the Gates 1-59 screening area. It may have supplanted the TSA expert traveler line.

The claim that the elite line is a temporary measure came from the CLEAR attendant. Unclear what, if any, cooperation there will be at MCO between CLEAR and Pre-Check.

But, for now, UA flyers have access to an elite security line at MCO. PreCheck allegedly coming soon.
Wow, Just WOW! MCO, the airport that has always had a grudge against elite lines... Can't wait to see this in action

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.