Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I thought it was Elite-only but I could be wrong ...?
this what UA states
How to participate
To apply for this program, you must be a MileagePlus® member and a U.S. citizen.

According to the TSA, frequent flyers and members of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (USCBP) Global EntryTM, NEXUS, or SENTRI Trusted Traveler programs are most likely to be eligible for expedited screening.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
this what UA states:
How to participate
To apply for this program, you must be a MileagePlus® member and a U.S. citizen.

According to the TSA, frequent flyers and members of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (USCBP) Global EntryTM, NEXUS, or SENTRI Trusted Traveler programs are most likely to be eligible for expedited screening.
Both wife and I never applied for one of those boarder control programs but we are both IN for the PreCheck. YMMV.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Interesting data point

Knew I'd get Pre today ORD-LGA since it 3x beeped in LGA on my outbound

Flight went MX (thanks again UA for the add'l reminder why I've dropped $20K on AA in the past month)), got re-booked onto ORD-EWR. 30 min in-between getting my new BP and hitting T1, but still got the 3x beeps again.

So even last minute changes won't necessarily knock you out from Pre.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Knew I'd get Pre today ORD-LGA since it 3x beeped in LGA on my outbound
Is this actually confirmed? Will you necessarily get Pre for a return if the outbound had Pre? I haven't heard anything to confirm it or deny it. It would seem to be a severe flaw in the "randomness" if true.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Is this actually confirmed? Will you necessarily get Pre for a return if the outbound had Pre? I haven't heard anything to confirm it or deny it. It would seem to be a severe flaw in the "randomness" if true.
PreCheck on the outbound does not confirm it on the inbound, but it does make it likely, for two reasons (assuming that my understanding about TSA methodology is correct):

1. The LLL proves that you are correctly enrolled in the program.
2. Since outbound and inbound likely have the same routing, and you are the same person on both legs, the itinerary risk scores are likely to be similar for outbound and inbound. If the risk score on the outbound is low enough to qualify, the inbound score is probably low enough as well.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
I just tried at EWR and it did not go through. My Global Entry has my middle name, by UA account just middle initial. Do I change to middle name under Traveler information where I can change it or do I need to call UA and add my middle name under my MP account. I do not see a place to change that one.

Or both?

thanks,

Mike
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:02 am

Programs: UA 1K3MM
Originally Posted by rinconmike
I just tried at EWR and it did not go through. My Global Entry has my middle name, by UA account just middle initial. Do I change to middle name under Traveler information where I can change it or do I need to call UA and add my middle name under my MP account. I do not see a place to change that one.

Or both?

thanks,

Mike
The former - enter your middle name under the Traveler information
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SuiteFlyer
The former - enter your middle name under the Traveler information
Thanks. I just changed it under my Traveler ID. I will see if it works next week.

Mike
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by rinconmike
Thanks. I just changed it under my Traveler ID. I will see if it works next week.
Depending on how you book your flights, you may need to edit under Traveler Info for each reservation (as opposed to in your Profile). If you book on united.com, it seems to carry from the profile into individual reservations fine, but tickets booked through TAs/OTAs show up however the they enter it.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Flying EWR-AMS on Thursday. There seems to be conflicting reports on whether precheck works for international flight. Likely, or not?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by hughw
Flying EWR-AMS on Thursday. There seems to be conflicting reports on whether precheck works for international flight. Likely, or not?
It would probably be a glitch if it did work. The TSA would need an agreement with the comparable agency in the country you're traveling to in order to give you Pre-Check access. I asked at EWR on the day Pre-Check started there, and a senior TSA person (who works exclusively with the Pre-Check program) told me this.

AMS might be one of the first, though, since there is already reciprocity with Global Entry.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by hughw
Current TSA policy as I understand it is that no pre-check if there is any international segment on your itinerary. That includes the domestic portion of an itin after re-entering the USA from overseas. So for example, if you fly NRT-ORD-BOS, you should *not* get pre-check at UA T1 at ORD following your ride on the train from the International Terminal. If anyone *does* get it, that would be interesting to know!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
It would probably be a glitch if it did work. The TSA would need an agreement with the comparable agency in the country you're traveling to in order to give you Pre-Check access.
Why is that? It's not as if any other country much cared about all the regular TSA nonsense. For instance, .uk doesn't require laptops to be removed from bags ("We know what a laptop looks like in the x-ray.")
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: UA: 1K SPG: Platinum Plus Hyatt: Diamond Hertz: PC National: EE
Had a chat with the CLEAR attendant at DEN this morning about PreCheck. He thinks at the beginning only the south checkpoint will have Pre as they have already set up the lane there but no work yet on the north side. The CLEAR lane on the south is right next to the Pre lane so it would be easy to send someone from the Clear lane to PreCheck.

The other interesting bits are that CLEAR's BP scanners already read and indicate LLL by displaying a big green check versus a blue one, so they're ready to send people to the Pre lane. Also the CEO of CLEAR was just in DEN working with TSA supposedly on their integration/cooperation.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
After going 0 for 4, I fixed my middle name as recommended and was able to use pre-check at SEA and ATL last week. It's pretty sweet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.