Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
Indianapolis has this....NO idea why Its never busy!

I LOVED it. Shoes on, nothing out of the backpack or suitcase!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by STM69
Yes, but when ORD gets busy they have one line to wait in for both premier & precheck. When you advance far enough to enter the premier lines, that's when you get to scan for precheck. For those early mornings when everyone is trying to get out, you wait 20 min in line before scanning. Makes no sense.
Based on my last trip through ORD, if you think you are Pre-Check, why not walk straight up to the BP scanner at the front of the line? Worst that can happen is you being bounced back to the elite line.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 14940674
[Bolding Mine]

As far as I know, the two names in bold must match.
Thanks, I updated the TSA info to match first middle last and suffix, we'll see if it works.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by clayman
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced what I did today.

About three weeks ago was surprised that my boarding pass triggered the three beeps and was happily directed to the prescreening lane. Found this thread and the recommendation for the iPhone app scanner and have now been scanning my BP's. In the last 6 instances, the data pattern has matched the observations in this thread.

So, printed BP today and scanned it, and it was consistent with the previous scans. Went to scan my BP in the security lane, and there were three beeps although the time between the three beeps was greater than what I heard from the person in front of me who passed. I was informed that I had to utilize the regular premier line. I inquired to the agent that I heard the three beeps and she rescanned my BP and it did indeed respond with three beeps. But she said something to the effect of "not today".

So that leads me to believe that while enrolled in the program, there's a secondary criteria which determines whether you're permitted or not. Thinking it could be based on a number of entries by passenger, or a more random number based on the number of passengers through the checkpoint, or something else.

It's unfortunate if this is the case, as I was hoping that I could reduce the time needed to get to the airport. If it's not 100%, I will need to cater for the potential of denial at the checkpoint.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Cheers!
This makes it very difficult to tell if the opaque system is working. When denied on any given trip, is it due to a mismatching name or IT glitch, or due to some criteria (including a random number)?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by clayman
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced what I did today.

About three weeks ago was surprised that my boarding pass triggered the three beeps and was happily directed to the prescreening lane. Found this thread and the recommendation for the iPhone app scanner and have now been scanning my BP's. In the last 6 instances, the data pattern has matched the observations in this thread.

So, printed BP today and scanned it, and it was consistent with the previous scans. Went to scan my BP in the security lane, and there were three beeps although the time between the three beeps was greater than what I heard from the person in front of me who passed. I was informed that I had to utilize the regular premier line. I inquired to the agent that I heard the three beeps and she rescanned my BP and it did indeed respond with three beeps. But she said something to the effect of "not today".

So that leads me to believe that while enrolled in the program, there's a secondary criteria which determines whether you're permitted or not. Thinking it could be based on a number of entries by passenger, or a more random number based on the number of passengers through the checkpoint, or something else.

It's unfortunate if this is the case, as I was hoping that I could reduce the time needed to get to the airport. If it's not 100%, I will need to cater for the potential of denial at the checkpoint.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Cheers!
Was the initial scan done by the AirServ employee at the entrance to the Pre-Check line? Or was it by the TSA clerk at the head of the Pre-Check area? If the former, I'd have politely ignored her, and seen what the clerk on TDC said when you scanned it again.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
That's very interesting.

With the few seconds it takes for Pre-Check pax to clear the security theater, it seems odd that they're going to have three lanes dedicated to Pre-Check. Perhaps one will be Pre-Check, while the other two will be an elite checkpoint?

No NoS is even better ^ Hope it stays that way, especially if elites can use that lane as regular security.
They still need a place for the substantial minority of people that, for whatever reason, don't get three beeps at any particular time.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
They still need a place for the substantial minority of people that, for whatever reason, don't get three beeps at any particular time.
Agreed. Every time through IAD, the checkpoints have been a complete cluster, whether in the elite or GM lines (though they all seem to blend together sometimes).
Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:28 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Based on my last trip through ORD, if you think you are Pre-Check, why not walk straight up to the BP scanner at the front of the line? Worst that can happen is you being bounced back to the elite line.
That's what I do.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Very useful post over on the DL board on how to scan your BPs direct from PDF

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19365474-post776.html
Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:49 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by mersk862
IAH is only at Terminal C and not A, which hurts me as a Delta flyer. .
Not to sidetrack too much but it is (was) my understanding at IAH it is only for UNITED and Alaska Airlines. And for Alaska that would be annoying as they fly out of A but the only precheck is at C.
Would it work for Delta at IAH now? I have a pal that is big time Delta and would love to avoid the NOS even if it meant going to C.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
My experience: LAX T6 area.... I had the 3 on my barcode. Walked up, got past the Airserv employee who gave me the second degree about my 3rd carry-on (it was a laptop bag for the fiance who forgot it in the rental car), got to the scanner and heard the three beeps. I got excited and walked behind the TDC and to the line. 30 seconds and I was through. I loved it! Well worth the expense and time... plus not having to deal with the NoS was worth it in and of itself.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by cricketer
check your PM. Unfortunately for some reason it worked on one reservation, but my reservation for next week has the middle names joined together once again. Absolutely infuriating, especially having had the lovely positive experience last time!
I've posted here before that I too have 2 middle names in my GE record. Curious too on how you got 2 middle names this into an UA reservation.

Incidentally, I got 3 beeps for the first time last week. What I did was remove my GE# from my TA and UA profile and "resubmitted" my precheck application request again through UA. I specifically did not use any middle name. Not sure if one or more or any of the combinations above did the trick, but got 3 beeps.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I don't recall anything about 3 beeps... but at the normal TSA line in Terminal D LAS, the initial screener stopped me from continuing forward and said "Hey, you're pre-checked (or something like that), head over to the far right line!" Very friendly, and when I got to the special line, It was, dare I say, a bit casual and smiles all-around, with the screeners helping people with their bags and explaining no, leave everything in, keep you shoes on, etc.

I did trigger a closer look because the screener couldn't figure out the new-in-box HeroHD camera I'd picked up at the Interbike Trade Show. I saw her questioning look and told her I was in no hurry, don't worry, I'll show you what it is. She was only too happy to oblige and thanked me profusely for my patience. This was not my typical security-screening experience.

Sure will be nice when they have something like this in place at SFO.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Flying out of EWR this morning .... Got to the C-3 checkpoint, scanned, got 3 beeps and went right through the Precheck lane. It .. is .. AWESOME!

Love it. My wife's not going to like it next time we travel together when I get to take the little guy through precheck and she'll be stuck in the other line. At least I can get her into the EA line ;-)
Old Sep 23, 2012, 4:39 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Flying out of EWR this morning .... Got to the C-3 checkpoint, scanned, got 3 beeps and went right through the Precheck lane. It .. is .. AWESOME!

Love it. My wife's not going to like it next time we travel together when I get to take the little guy through precheck and she'll be stuck in the other line. At least I can get her into the EA line ;-)
Why can't she also be PRE-checked and be happy as you are?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.