Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 14940674
What was your connecting airport? Did your connection require you to re-clear security?
LAX and yes - interesting observation, but I've been denied PreCheck on an I-D connection at SFO where I of course had to reclear security.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Naturally I screened with her in the (45 minute long) regular screening line at PHL while I enviously watched as a small handful of other pax went right up to the PreCHeck station and right through in about 60 seconds.
You're nicer than I would be.

But seriously, the elite line at PHL was 45 minutes?! I've seen the regular line be that long, but the elite line?

Or were you waiting in the regular line? Why wouldn't you use the elite line? (Your profile shows 1KMM.) I have never once had trouble bringing non-elite companions through the elite security line; I either flash my card and have my companions walk confidently and close to me, or I mention to the line dragon that we're traveling together. Never once had an eye batted.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jackal
You're nicer than I would be.

But seriously, the elite line at PHL was 45 minutes?! I've seen the regular line be that long, but the elite line?

Or were you waiting in the regular line? Why wouldn't you use the elite line? (Your profile shows 1KMM.) I have never once had trouble bringing non-elite companions through the elite security line; I either flash my card and have my companions walk confidently and close to me, or I mention to the line dragon that we're traveling together. Never once had an eye batted.
Yes, it was the elite line at terminal C. It was a Friday morning at 6:30. IOW the worst possible time to screen at PHL. The line minders ran the elite/F line out over the bridge parallel to the regular line. It was the worst I've ever seen at C. The real problem with the elite line at C is that it has the full body scanner while the non-elites just get metal detectors so per person the elite line takes longer. Also, right at the TSA ID checker they were feeding one of the three non-elite lines into the elite line x-ray machine area so that slowed things down as well.

I went to C term because it's the only one at PHL with PreCheck and I wanted her to see it in action since she just applied. In hindsight screening at D term might have been faster as elites because C tends to get clogged with US's elite masses in the mornings.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
One word for pre-check: AWESOME!

One word for pre-check: AWESOME!

Massive lines at ORD yesterday. I just walked up to pre-check, scanned by BP. Then walked to the ID check, scanned the BP.

Then walked up to security, took out my cell phone, threw all my bags on the conveyor belt--no baskets, no crate, no computer out, no liquids out, nothing--and then walked through with belt (which always goes off, and it did not) and shoes. I was through in less than 3 minutes. Who needs CLEAR when you have pre-check for free!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus

Any word about Pre-check at LAS T3 yet? When I was there in early October the TSA guy said they were told they will get it but didn't know when.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lindaiah
Any word about Pre-check at LAS T3 yet? When I was there in early October the TSA guy said they were told they will get it but didn't know when.
As of yesterday, not there. I can't see PreCheck being at T3 anytime soon with Delta and American checkin at T1, in spite of what line TSA guy sez.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:07 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
PHX Pre Check for T2 UA?

Yesterday afternoon I couldn’t find the Pre check line for the UA gates at T2, even though they had a banner promoting the Pre Check program as you enter the security screening area. I ask the ID checker and got a very incoherent answer which left me just smiling and nodding at him. I think he said they had it at the UA concourse screening point, but it wasn’t utilized and they discontinued it at that location.

True? Partially True? False? TSA non-answer to keep terrorists from cheating their system? Still coming?

Thanks!

DEN
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold
I'm flying out of DCA tomorrow and pre-check doesn't show up on my boarding pass. I have a trusted traveler number through Global Entry and input it in my UA profile, but it doesn't seem to go through. Any suggestions.

Thanks
ZS
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by rzsionak
I'm flying out of DCA tomorrow and pre-check doesn't show up on my boarding pass. I have a trusted traveler number through Global Entry and input it in my UA profile, but it doesn't seem to go through. Any suggestions.

Thanks
ZS
As mentioned above:

-Make sure your SecureFlight details have an EXACT match with your name as in your GE profile.
-Understand that there is a random element of denial and you won't get PreCheck every time. A sample size of one is too small to provide an accurate count of whether you have PreCheck working or not.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold
View reservation -> Edit traveler information -> Known Traveler Number/Pass ID

Put in your number if it is not there, make sure your names match exactly as they appear on your GE card. Click submit to save, but be aware that only adding the number may not actually save due to what appears to be a web site bug. You may have to change something else (middle name, phone number, etc) at the same time.

And by 'doesn't show up on my boarding pass' do you mean you have decoded it and you have a 0 instead of 3? There won't be anything visible and human readable on the boarding pass to indicate PreCheck.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
As mentioned above:

-Make sure your SecureFlight details have an EXACT match with your name as in your GE profile.
-Understand that there is a random element of denial and you won't get PreCheck every time. A sample size of one is too small to provide an accurate count of whether you have PreCheck working or not.
My name in SecureFlight has my middle initial while GE has full middle name. Could that be a problem? I can't update that online.

I've had similar issues flying US of late and when I tried asking their agents, they didn't seem to have a clue how to correct so it's more than a sample size of one.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry

Thanks
ZS
When you say it did not show up on your BP you mean you scanned the barcode and found a zero instead of a three, right?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
So it would be safe to assume that the lone WTMD at the elite checkpoint will become Pre-Check. How they'll configure the lane access in that cluster fudge of a checkpoint will be interesting..
Cluster is an appropriate description. Flew out of SFO this morning and the whole airport was basically a cluster. The regular security line was spilling half way down the check in area. The Premier check in was wound thru as many switchbacks as it could be and out the end. Took one look at it and walked back to the line which is shared with CLEAR. It always moves quite well and I was thru in about 10 minutes. I'm guessing the Premier line would have been between 30 and 45 minutes (maybe longer). I have no idea where they are going to put Pre at that checkpoint, but I'm guessing it will screw it up even more. I dread thinking it will have the same early closing time as the Premier line because it means I will basically never get to use it.
Just went through SFO. Elite line was out past the ropes a bit, but moving well - took about 15 mins or so. Not too bad. Premier check in was empty though - walked right up to check a bag.

As for pre-check, I didn't ask, but looks very much like it'll be set up on the right side - not the far right line, where the X-ray and machine you get to after turning right (where GS come out) - but the line to the left of that - so between to the two left lanes and the one on the right. There was the swing gate and the regular metal detector there, Also the first time I've seen the new scanners - didn't hear any beeps at all - and didn't think it read my BP - only realized when the agent told me I was good and only noticed the green light at that point.

Last edited by emcampbe; Nov 11, 2012 at 9:40 pm
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Michilander
When you say it did not show up on your BP you mean you scanned the barcode and found a zero instead of a three, right?
I thought there was something printed on the boarding pass saying you were eligible and then the barcode would send you to either the precheck or regular line at the TSA checkpoint. If I'm incorrect, then please disregard my question. I'm still fairly new to this.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I thought there was something printed on the boarding pass saying you were eligible and then the barcode would send you to either the precheck or regular line at the TSA checkpoint. If I'm incorrect, then please disregard my question. I'm still fairly new to this.
There is nothing that gets printed on the BP. Everything is encoded in the bar code - so if you a BP for a pre-check eligible passenger and a non pre-check eligible passenger would look pretty much the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.