Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by ChicagoLP
Perfect, thanks! I must have missed it last week. Have a bunch of international travel coming up in the next month.
You won't be able to use PreCheck for any of your international travel..only domestic travel is eligible..and that includes domestic flights that are part of an international itinerary.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver (Soon to be Gold), IHG Plat Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
You won't be able to use PreCheck for any of your international travel..only domestic travel is eligible..and that includes domestic flights that are part of an international itinerary.
Bummer, I was looking forward to the short line!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I hope that TPA expands it to include the UA checkpoint (Terminal A). They have it for DL already. Incidentally, the TDC was baffled by my Nexus card at TPA today; I said, "You must not have worked the DL checkpoint much recently, as Nexus, GE, and Sentri are going to be more common in connection with PreCheck." His supervisor said, "You must have worked for TSA recently," when I pointed that out...

I'm curious if I will be able to use PreCheck on an upcoming itin which goes like this:
  • Day 1: Domestic flight
  • Overnight (am flying in on the last flight of the day)
  • Day 2: International flight

I know I can't use it on Day 2 at my international gateway when I reclear security that morning, but I am curious if it will work on Day 1. My guess is that it will not given it's part of an international itin all on the same PNR...
Old Oct 24, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by Starman
So then how do they stop random folks who have never qualified for PreCheck or even applied for PreCheck from going to the PreCheck line, either by design or accident, being rejected, but then being shunted to the shorter line for the dedicated checkpoint?
I went through IAD yesterday and got just the single beep and was redirected to the reject line. The agent there asked me a bunch of questions like "Domestic itinerary?" "Yup". "Have you ever successfully done pre-check?" "Yes, at ORD several times, but this was my first at IAD." "What airline?" "United, same as today." He then let me through the reject line. Not that it really mattered all that much as security was empty, and that at 5PM. So it looks like they do have some kind of screening. On the flip side, the pax behind me looked (which could be deceiving, of course) like kettles.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
It's an awful setup. The TSA agent I ran into was very rude and basically insulted everyone who got a single beep, calling them liars, telling them they don't know what precheck is, and making them go to the END of the regular line.

So, if you are precheck and get unlucky enough to get a single beep, you have to wait in BOTH the precheck and the regular line. AND get insulted by TSA to boot.

It was absolutely absurd.
I would request a supervisor on the spot if that BS was pulled on me. I guess I will find out in a few weeks if i don't get the green screen. I wonder if the treatment would be different if one was using the global entry card for ID?

Last edited by CDKing; Oct 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
UA move to T3 and pre-check in T1 at LAS

On TSA site, I see there's a pre-check at T1 at LAS, but only AA and DL are checked next to it as participating (their check-ins are still in T1). UA is not checked off as participating. Has anyone flying UA since move to T3 tried PreCheck at T1 and been successful? I'm will have only carry-on and probably a thinner wallet, so no need to go to T3.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
On TSA site, I see there's a pre-check at T1 at LAS, but only AA and DL are checked next to it as participating (their check-ins are still in T1). UA is not checked off as participating. Has anyone flying UA since move to T3 tried PreCheck at T1 and been successful? I'm will have only carry-on and probably a thinner wallet, so no need to go to T3.
Yes I have done exactly this..it's no problem (I posted about it earlier in this thread). You can also still get a printed UA BP in T3 if you need to using the shared airline check in kiosks.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Yes I have done exactly this..it's no problem (I posted about it earlier in this thread). You can also still get a printed UA BP in T3 if you need to using the shared airline check in kiosks.
You mean kiosk in T1? Thanks! The thread's 123 pages long now. I found a few references to LAS but didn't apparently get to yours.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 25, 2012 at 12:03 pm Reason: upped # of thread pages....
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... The thread's 123 pages long now. .....
FriendlySkies is maintaining a summary in post#1
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Just went thru security at PHX terminal 2 today and the signs for PreCheck are all over the place. However, the TSA agent said the people in charge have changed their minds and decided to postpone it for now. She said they don't think the checkpoint is busy enough to warrant rollout at this time.

Hopefully she is just making stuff up.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I also did this a few weeks ago myself. Printed a BP from the generic machines before security in T1 and it successfully beeped for my UA flight.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Interesting side note. Last Saturday, my wife went to the SEA pre-check with a WN boarding pass (and her global entry card) and they let her through.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:35 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JONEZY00
Interesting side note. Last Saturday, my wife went to the SEA pre-check with a WN boarding pass (and her global entry card) and they let her through.
Let here through to the front of the line, or gave her expedited screening. There is a big difference.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by JONEZY00
Since WN does not participate in PreCheck either she was mistaken and didn't actually go through the PreCheck process, or the TSA agent made an error allowing her through.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Since WN does not participate in PreCheck either she was mistaken and didn't actually go through the PreCheck process, or the TSA agent made an error allowing her through.
Was the latter, he just told her to go ahead through . She knew wn didn't particiapte

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.