Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jackal
Weren't we talking about SEA?

I didn't answer the previous post because I haven't been there yet, but based on my readings in the AS forum as well as familiarity with the SEA airport, I'd strongly suspect it's the central one (the one that dumps you out into the central food court).
Ahh yes, my apologies! The post above this one was about EWR, so my feeble brain added 2+2 and got 5. :-)
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
Weren't we talking about SEA?

I didn't answer the previous post because I haven't been there yet, but based on my readings in the AS forum as well as familiarity with the SEA airport, I'd strongly suspect it's the central one (the one that dumps you out into the central food court).
Yep...just went through it a few mins ago. That is the one. There is a dedicated Pre line and it was very fast. Then all you have to do is walk 3 miles to the train to the N gates.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 1:21 pm

It is the checkpoint which dumps you in-front of the food court and then it is either off to B gates or N terminal.

Dan
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Ari
Only if you check your boarding pass in advance, though!
Not necessary at IAD, as those who are randomly denied are sent to a dedicated checkpoint, adjacent to the PreCheck one.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674
Not necessary at IAD, as those who are randomly denied are sent to a dedicated checkpoint, adjacent to the PreCheck one.
I think Ari was talking about saving time. At EWR, it dumps you to a different line if you are rejected but it can be longggggggggg.

It's nice to speed through the line and save time but what's the point when you still have to arrive at the airport the same amount of time as if you weren't going through pre-check? (there was a boardingarea blog post about this I think)

Hopefully, if you can decode your bp beforehand, then you can save some time that way.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:27 pm

So then how do they stop random folks who have never qualified for PreCheck or even applied for PreCheck from going to the PreCheck line, either by design or accident, being rejected, but then being shunted to the shorter line for the dedicated checkpoint?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by edcho
I think Ari was talking about saving time. At EWR, it dumps you to a different line if you are rejected but it can be longggggggggg.
Since the rejects line is dedicated to PreCheck, it should never have a long wait.

Originally Posted by Starman
So then how do they stop random folks who have never qualified for PreCheck or even applied for PreCheck from going to the PreCheck line, either by design or accident, being rejected, but then being shunted to the shorter line for the dedicated checkpoint?
I had the same question. I was never able to get an answer.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
At least in EWR, there is still then a Premier versus non-Premier distinction.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
There should have been signs announcing that the PreCheck lane is moving from checkpoint #5 to checkpoint #3 (closer to the middle) next week; did you see any?
Definitely there were no signs up when I was at the airport. The TSA agent that directed me to the standard security line. The Kettle line was LOOOONG, but the elite line consisted of me and no one else.

Still, I went through quickly but had to wait for a Ma Kettle who was arguing with the TSA agent that she didn't want to go through the body scanner because it would "radiate" her.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Marriott lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Pre check line closed at DCA today
Well, one Pre-Check location was open at DCA today -- the new Pre-Check at the US gates on the North Pier. I used it for the first time at that location, and for the first time flying US. I must have passed 30 minutes' worth of wait time -- the contracted BP-checker led me around past the elite line to the Pre-Check line on the far left. Fabulous.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA GS
I had the same question. I was never able to get an answer.
At LAX T7 there is a pre-check to the pre-check. A separate scanner is used by UA contract personnel and failure to pass the 3 beeps will relegate you to the normal TSA check in line.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
At LAX T7 there is a pre-check to the pre-check. A separate scanner is used by UA contract personnel and failure to pass the 3 beeps will relegate you to the normal TSA check in line.
At IAD, if you fail the initial scan, you are sent to a special screening line dedicated to PreCheck rejects. We are trying to determine how the TSA can distinguish between eligible participants who were randomly denied and those who were never PreCheck participants.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Pre-Check seems to have launched in HNL today!

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/1...nolulu-airport

Originally Posted by pharmalady
Still, I went through quickly but had to wait for a Ma Kettle who was arguing with the TSA agent that she didn't want to go through the body scanner because it would "radiate" her.
Everybody has the right to opt-out. Not sure how doing so makes them a kettle

(fwiw, the NoS at SEA do use ionizing radiation to do their scan.....)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
I'm flying YQR-DEN-TPA Friday. No preclearance at YQR, so I clear at DEN (I have GE so reasonably fast, plus we're the first international flight of the day which helps).

Officially Pre doesn't work with international itineraries, but I'm hoping it might consider my DEN-TPA segment to be domestic since I've cleared Customs domestically.

How do I find out? I understand there's a separate Pre lane from the normal Premier lane?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
Officially Pre doesn't work with international itineraries, but I'm hoping it might consider my DEN-TPA segment to be domestic since I've cleared Customs domestically.
It won't, unless you're on separate tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.