Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by born sleepy
[edit] unsure if NEXUS alone will cut the mustard.
NEXUS members are automatically enrolled in Global Entry.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
NEXUS members are automatically enrolled in Global Entry.
Oh, OK. But the opposite is not true. I had to apply and be interviewed separately for NEXUS post-GE approval. Never really understood why. If it turns out I drove six hours to Houlton NB and back for nothing I'll be a little annoyed. Their iris scanner was on the fritz so I have a little "NO IRIS SCAN" sticker on my NEXUS card, which makes me wonder if it's going to be of any use.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Just went through pre-check at IAD and it was great, nobody in line and a friendly TSA staff, or maybe just my attitude was better because I didn't have to go through the normal IAD BS.

For those that have seen the other lanes next to the pre-check open if you don't get access, tonight they were closed so I assume they would have directed you downstairs. YMMV
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
You don't need an invitation. Just go to the PreCheck lane and they'll scan your BP or fone. [edit] unsure if NEXUS alone will cut the mustard.

DUH!!! ARE you serious????

All this time I have been waiting for UA to email me before my flight!!!!

So I just go to the TSA and attempt to go through!?!?!?

Was this posted somewhere?

I feel like an idiott...

Thanks for the tip - got tons of travel this month so can't wait to try this!!^^^

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 3, 2012 at 6:06 pm
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tasnam
DUH!!! ARE you serious????

All this time I have been waiting for UA to email me before my flight!!!!

So I just go to the TSA and attempt to go through!?!?!?

Was this posted somewhere?

I feel like an idiott...

Thanks for the tip - got tons of travel this month so can't wait to try this!!^^^
Yep! The list of airports with lanes is in the first post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ravellers.html

Just walk up to the TSA clerk or contract worker near the Pre-Check lane. They'll scan your BP, and then you will get Pre-Check if the barcode reader says "LLL" or beeps three times.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Yep! The list of airports with lanes is in the first post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ravellers.html

Just walk up to the TSA clerk or contract worker near the Pre-Check lane. They'll scan your BP, and then you will get Pre-Check if the barcode reader says "LLL" or beeps three times.

SWEET!!!!!!

Thank you everyone - been waiting for an email like a dork for months!!!!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Oh, OK. But the opposite is not true. I had to apply and be interviewed separately for NEXUS post-GE approval. Never really understood why. If it turns out I drove six hours to Houlton NB and back for nothing I'll be a little annoyed. Their iris scanner was on the fritz so I have a little "NO IRIS SCAN" sticker on my NEXUS card, which makes me wonder if it's going to be of any use.
Do you think it might have to do with the fact that Nexus members already have been vetted and approved by both countries involved, while GE doesn't. Nexus requires you to go through the Canadian background check and interview - you have not done this already. Nexus members already have with the US, which is why they get GE without any additional action necessary.

Originally Posted by tasnam
I signed up for NEXUS (not Global Entry) in April 2012 - all set no issues.

I have entered the US from CA, MX, EU (via both car & air) now over 12 times and I use the Global Entry Kiosk with no issues (!?!??!).

Entered my info in UA right away once allowed - have YET to get any inviation to use the TSA-PRE lines.

(YES I triple checked my name, number, ect..)

Any ideas?
Are you by any chance a Canadian citizen (and not a Canadian and US dual citizen)? If so, this is the problem - Pre check is only really open to US citizens right now.

However, if you're not american, try taking the trusted traveler number out of your profile, using your frequent traveler status as the qualifier. The reports are true that this works (or at least, can work).
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
My Friend has been trying to get precheck on American for Months with no Luck. He has an apostrophe in is GOES ID & american cant add an apostrophe to his bookings.

He would like to switch to united, does anyone know if united's system can?

D'XXXXXX -
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by ilovesprint
My Friend has been trying to get precheck on American for Months with no Luck. He has an apostrophe in is GOES ID & american cant add an apostrophe to his bookings.

D'XXXXXX -
Since it costs nothing to open an MP a/c -- why doesn't he just do so & see?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:32 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

D'XXXXXX -
The thing you want to enter is the all numeric Pass ID (on the back of the card or found after logging in), not the user ID for logging into GOES.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Because with NEXUS, Canada and the US both screen and approve you; with GE only the US does. If you already have NEXUS, the US has already approved you so there is no decision to make on GE. You already qualify.

As for the iris scan, you can get one opportunistically the next time you are at a NEXUS-equipped airport or a land crossing that has iris scanners. You won't be able to use NEXUS to clear Canadian Customs until you get the scan, but it's easy to get one afterward. No appointment is needed as long as the NEXUS office is open. (All Canadian NEXUS-equipped airports can take your scan, but only some land crossings can.)
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond

D'XXXXXX -
Is he using his GOES ID(i.e. what you use to login to GOES website) as his 'known traveler number'? Trusted traveler numbers are 9 digit, all numeric. See https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...veler-programs and http://www.globalentry.gov/pdfs/find_ge_card.pdf

Hope this helps. (and that I am not overlooking something that occured in the 90% of this thread that I haven't read)
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
I applied for GE a few months ago and went through the interview and received my card, I then applied for Pre-check. I made my first flight on Monday from LAX-IAH-MIA and got the magic 3 beeps. Went through TSA screening in less than 2 min in terminal 6/7 at LAX tucked away in the corner as previously noted by other posters.

When I skipped ahead of the crowd, I heard many voices asking "Why does that guy get to skip the line?", even a GS came up to me at the gate and asked me how I got through.

I used the Manatee scanner to look at my printed boarding pass before I went to the airport and saw the magic number 3 at the end of the bar code. I used the iPhone Passbook to scan the bar code at the airport just to be safe. I read the previous posts that the iPhone does a better job than the printed code.

I just checked my boarding pass for the return trip and it has the magic 3 at the end, unfortunately MIA does not have recheck for United. Sigh!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 21A
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

The thing you want to enter is the all numeric Pass ID (on the back of the card or found after logging in), not the user ID for logging into GOES.
I misspoke, He has his PASSID... His name in his trusted his trusted Traveler Program has an apostrophe. Can United in the Shares system use an apostrophe?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler Program Benefits
Into the United States using kiosks in the international airports (Global Entry; valid passport is required: Global Entry enrollment centers)
Into the United States across the land border from Canada or Mexico (SENTRI: SENTRI enrollment centers)
Personal Information
Last/Paternal Name D'XXXXX
Suffix
Maternal Name
First Name XXXX
Middle Name X
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonor Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by emcampbe
If it still isn't working, I'd suggest even taking your GE number out of your profile and seeing if that works better for you. If you fly every week, there is a good chance you can get it without the trusted traveler status appended. My wife, a premier silver, never got the three beeps while her GE number was in there, I realized because she is a Canadian Citizen (GE through Nexus) and you have to be US if that is in there. Finally, I took it out for her, and we both got take advantage this weekend.
So if I removed the Known Passenger Number, what else I need to do? Just check the "pre" box and that's it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.