No SFO-LHR 747 this summer?

Old Feb 5, 12, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Question No SFO-LHR 747 this summer?

Well, as the title says, I'm looking at routes to LHR this summer, and it seems that both the SFO flights are 777s.
Am I looking at the wrong dates, or is United simply not planning on sending the 747 to LHR this year?
I much prefer a 747 over a 777 (I know most of you IFE fanboys won't agree... but I was a 747 mechanic for a few years, and I'm VERY partial to the airplane, systemically...), and would like to get to London that way, if possible.
I'd take NZ, but they're doing the 77W now.
Anyone with insight?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 5, 12 at 6:24 am Reason: title was missing origin city
Old Feb 5, 12, 5:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I think you might want to try from ORD.
Old Feb 5, 12, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
Are you willing to do SFO-FRA-LON instead? Might be a more enjoyable connection than ORD.
Old Feb 5, 12, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Plat 2.2MM, AA nobody, IHG Gold, HH Silver
They only switched the 747 back in this winter for the first time in ages when it went to a single flight a day. The summer schedule of 2x777s has been that way for a long time (it used to be the year round schedule, though recent winters have been reduced to 1x777).
Old Feb 5, 12, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
SFO service to Europe has gone downhill in the last 6 years or so. Used to have nonstop 777 to Paris, then they went to a 767, then seasonal, then gone. Plus they had 747 service year round to LHR and FRA.
Old Feb 5, 12, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM
Anyone know which routes WILL be operated by 747 this summer? Seems my regular ORD-PEK has been downgauged as well. Never seems like there are that many 747 routes relative to the size of the fleet...
Old Feb 5, 12, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
Are you willing to do SFO-FRA-LON instead? Might be a more enjoyable connection than ORD.
Unless our mechanic OP is also partial to travelling on large airport transfer buses, I'd keep in mind that UA parks a 747 at a remote gate on all the FRA flights I've been on. Conecting once inside the terminal at FRA has improved a lot recently as the renovations more forward, but a 10 minute bus ride and walking downstairs from a 747 are still a big downer of this routing.
Old Feb 5, 12, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
747 SFO-LHR has been gone for several years.
Old Feb 5, 12, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by aussieinsf View Post
Unless our mechanic OP is also partial to travelling on large airport transfer buses...
LOL. Awesome post.
Old Feb 5, 12, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by nycr View Post
Anyone know which routes WILL be operated by 747 this summer? Seems my regular ORD-PEK has been downgauged as well. Never seems like there are that many 747 routes relative to the size of the fleet...
I thought ORD-PEK went to a 744 after the Tokyo Earthquake/Tsunami when ORD-NRT was downgraded to a 772. I think the 744 has made its way back to ORD-NRT. I am not sure what the PEK market requires, although you do have EWR, ORD, SFO, and the IAD seasonal service.
Old Feb 5, 12, 2:23 pm

Besides the year-round SFO-FRA-SFO (UA 900/901), the second/later ORD-FRA-ORD flight (UA 940/941) has been a 744 the last couple summers as well.
Old Feb 5, 12, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aussieinsf View Post
Unless our mechanic OP is also partial to travelling on large airport transfer buses
Of course, our mechanic OP might be accustomed to this if he's taken enough flights into LAX.
Old Feb 5, 12, 9:44 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by kevinsac View Post
747 SFO-LHR has been gone for several years.
That's weird, because I could have sworn I was on a UA 747 from LHR to SFO less than two weeks ago...
Old Feb 5, 12, 11:17 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
That's weird, because I could have sworn I was on a UA 747 from LHR to SFO less than two weeks ago...
Yes because it is still on the winter schedule. Summer is 2x777. It's not summer yet. I am going over in March on a 747. My return is a month later in April and it will be twice daily 777 then.
Old Feb 5, 12, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
You are correct. Since the OP was asking about the summer sked, my reply was directed at his query. Sorry

Search this Thread