FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How about Int'l transit luggage? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1310644-how-about-intl-transit-luggage.html)

Exleftseat Feb 5, 2012 3:14 am

How about Int'l transit luggage?

Violated my own pledge never again to begin a T/A out of Germany, but had little choice on this award trip. Doing FRA-ORD-NRT, I know I need to go through Immi at ORD ( GE ), do I need to pick up luggage as well and go through Customs or is International transit luggage treated differently than domestic?

daumueller Feb 5, 2012 3:30 am

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT (Post 17954807)
Violated my own pledge never again to begin a T/A out of Germany, but had little choice on this award trip. Doing FRA-ORD-NRT, I know I need to go through Immi at ORD ( GE ), do I need to pick up luggage as well and go through Customs or is International transit luggage treated differentlyi than domestic?

Same rules for intl luggage... Which is nonsense but thats how it Works...

rankourabu Feb 5, 2012 8:21 am

Originally Posted by daumueller (Post 17954851)

Dont MIA and IAH still do red tags, international transit bags that dont have to be claimed?

Often1 Feb 5, 2012 8:38 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 17955811)
Dont MIA and IAH still do red tags, international transit bags that dont have to be claimed?

ORD doesn't. There's no such thing as transit. You either enter the USA or you don't. Whether you are destined for Chicago as your final destination, a US domestic destination as a connection or another intl. destination as a connection, you are treated roughly the same.

rankourabu Feb 5, 2012 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 17955892)
ORD doesn't. There's no such thing as transit. You either enter the USA or you don't. Whether you are destined for Chicago as your final destination, a US domestic destination as a connection or another intl. destination as a connection, you are treated roughly the same.

I am aware of ORD, and luggage needs to be picked up

All I am saying is that at MIA and IAH - you DO NOT have to pick up luggage if going intl->intl. It was expected to be rolled out across more airports, but I am pretty sure it hasnt - just asking for confirmation.

Often1 Feb 5, 2012 11:26 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 17956447)
I am aware of ORD, and luggage needs to be picked up

All I am saying is that at MIA and IAH - you DO NOT have to pick up luggage if going intl->intl. It was expected to be rolled out across more airports, but I am pretty sure it hasnt - just asking for confirmation.

It hasn't and it's all about architecture. Very few airports have the space, design and are willing to meet the cost requirements associated with creating a secure transit zone for luggage, the credentialing for employees with access and associated logistics issues. MIA and IAH are very dependent on TPAC / TATL to Latin America and the the space and money considerations are more than made up for by the efficiency (shorter connection time). Other than Canada (where intl. feature would only matter on the ORD-Canada segment because of pre-clearance on the inbound) would be interesting to know the volume of intl-intl. connections at other large intl. hubs such as JFK, IAD, ORD, SFO, LAX.

Exleftseat Feb 5, 2012 7:12 pm

Well, I better don't use the GE line then. As far as I know the smalled violation triggers cancellation of privileges. I have tons of food that I am bringing home to Japan and some of it is not allowed into the U.S., like wonderful Prosciutto ham. Hope I don't run into problems.

Well, I better don't use the GE line then. As far as I know the smalled violation triggers cancellation of privileges. I have tons of food that I am bringing home to Japan and some of it is not allowed into the U.S., like wonderful Prosciutto ham. Hope I don't run into problems.