Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are Priority luggage tags going to be discontinued?

Old Feb 4, 12, 3:21 am
uwr
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 1K

On Wednesday evening I flew from HYD-DXB (on 9W) and connected to DXB-IAD-SEA on UA. My bags were interlined, but they didn't get a priority tag because I checked in on 9W.

At IAD, I flew through Global Entry in under one minute. Flights from Accra, GRU, EZE, and KWI came in before us or around the same time, and other passengers from my flight took at least 20 minutes to make it through.

The unfortunate part is that I had to wait 20 minutes for the luggage carousel to start. Once the carousel started, the priority bags came right away, but I had to wait another 20 minutes for my bags.

After going through the customs checkpoint, I asked the baggage agent for priority tags for my onward flight to SEA. He went into an office and came back with the "news" that they didn't have any priority tags and that the priority tags were going to be discontinued "because Continental doesn't use them."

I haven't heard any announcement about this, and I can't find any FT thread that addresses it.

Does anyone here know for sure?

Last edited by uwr; Feb 4, 12 at 1:12 pm Reason: corrected "GRU"
Old Feb 4, 12, 4:05 am

Programs: QR platinum
Sounds unlikely... priority tags are used across *A, and Continental does/did use them.
Old Feb 4, 12, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The agent was wrong and may have been lazy to boot. Priority tags aren't going anywhere.
Old Feb 4, 12, 9:06 am

Programs: MM Frequent Traveller, Marriot Silver, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Nope that has to be a lie.. I've never for PMUA (always CO) and they always have used priority tags
Old Feb 4, 12, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Got one on AC.
Old Feb 4, 12, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Absolutely not. The agents were terribly misinformed.
Old Feb 4, 12, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM (now flying with SQ)
Flew on TG last week and got them.
Old Feb 4, 12, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
Absolutely not. The agents were terribly misinformed.
A charitable interpretation of what happened.
Old Feb 4, 12, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I'm looking right at the priority tag I got on CO last week. And the bag was the third one out
Old Feb 4, 12, 5:21 pm

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
Got em on my flight last night.
Old Feb 4, 12, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, DL Silver Medallion
I got two of 'em today
Old Feb 4, 12, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
No question a lazy or " I can not be ar---d" gate agent.
Old Feb 4, 12, 5:55 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Originally Posted by uwr View Post
Once the carousel started, the priority bags came right away, but I had to wait another 20 minutes for my bags.
It doesn't seem to me that the priority bags come out ahead of the regular bags with any regularity, and so I always assumed the priority tags were mainly theater. . . perhaps I'm wrong.
Old Feb 4, 12, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 100countrygoal View Post
It doesn't seem to me that the priority bags come out ahead of the regular bags with any regularity, and so I always assumed the priority tags were mainly theater. . . perhaps I'm wrong.
Very much wrong, in my experience. Almost always see them come out first on my flights, on CO/UA and other *A airlines.
Old Feb 4, 12, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 100countrygoal View Post
A US Airways checkin agent tried to justify not putting on a priority tag once using that rationale. I was not amused and explained it would be better if she would just put the tag on. I actually carry a few extra Premier Access priority luggage strips after one experience where they completely ran out, although I haven't had to use any since I acquired them. I don't know what the agent was thinking in the OP's story considering expedited baggage handling is one of the bolded PrermierAccess benefits and a hub of all places.

Search this Thread