Austrian Airlines - Where to credit?

Old Feb 3, 12, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Austrian Airlines - Where to credit?

I don't think I have a onepass account, but I am flying on Austrian Airlines in C, and notice that OnePass credits Austrian at 150% for EQM, while MileagePlus only credits Austrian at 100% EQM.

Would it be possible to sign up for a OnePass account for these legs, have the flights credited to onepass, and then merge the EQM with my MileagePlus account?

I tried searching thinking this was probably a question a lot of people have asked since the merger, but couldn't find anything (i'm sure it exists, so I apologize).
Old Feb 3, 12, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
If you're flying before March 3, sounds like it'd be worth doing. After March 3rd, it'd likely be moot.
Old Feb 3, 12, 7:02 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I would recommend doing so. No harm in trying.
Old Feb 3, 12, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, National Exec
Also... If you have both MP # and OP #, isn't it the OP # that survives? The MP # is going away to be replaced by one in the OP format.

Better to take control of that process than leave it to the mass conversion that will happen...
Old Feb 3, 12, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Thanks for the replies. I am sorry as I haven't been following the latest news surrounding the merger.

How will united-continental know to merge my accounts on March 3 if I do this? I see that I can transfer miles, but what about my lifetime miles?

Should I even bother having anything posted to MileagePlus this year (I haven't flown this year yet) if OnePass is currently giving a higher percentage on the flights I am traveling?

Of course, now I am going to spend the next 8 hours looking for a signup bonus for OnePass.
Old Feb 4, 12, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, National Exec
Originally Posted by 100% Green View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am sorry as I haven't been following the latest news surrounding the merger.

How will united-continental know to merge my accounts on March 3 if I do this? I see that I can transfer miles, but what about my lifetime miles?

Should I even bother having anything posted to MileagePlus this year (I haven't flown this year yet) if OnePass is currently giving a higher percentage on the flights I am traveling?

Of course, now I am going to spend the next 8 hours looking for a signup bonus for OnePass.
Under the "Consolidated "Official CO/UA Merger-Related Announcements from UA Insider" Thread" that is sticky on the first page is everything you need to know about combining the accounts.

What you are talking about is what I have been doing for the last year. In general OP historically gave better credit for flying US than MP, so my continental and US activity went to OP and United to MP for the last year. The arb is going away, though... Sigh...
Old Feb 4, 12, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dabblah View Post
In general OP historically gave better credit for flying US than MP, so my continental and US activity went to OP and United to MP for the last year. The arb is going away, though... Sigh...
We know nothing about the earning chart post-3/3 (which is pretty embarrassing actually, now that we're less than a month out).

However - I'm actually hoping that the PMCO chart wins out due to their EQM generosity on paid C fares
Old Feb 4, 12, 1:35 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
United/Continental will take care of combining your lifetime miles when the accounts are merged. Until that time, the accounts remain separate even though they are linked and even though it is possible to move miles back and forth.

Search this Thread