Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of United Clubs at EWR (C74 reopened 11 Oct 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pseudoswede
EWR United Club Status as of October 2023

Terminal A - Upper level, near Gate A27, 5:00 a.m. - 9:15 p.m. daily
C1 - Near gate C74 (upper level) - 5:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily - hot food, no showers [reopened 11 Oct 2023]
C2 - Pop-up location near C93 (now closed)
C3 - Near gate C123 (upper level) - 5:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily - hot food, shower suites

related threads: Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs? (C3)
United Polaris Lounge Open in Newark (EWR)

related thread: Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?

Archive thread:Status of United Clubs at EWR {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Status of United Clubs at EWR (C74 reopened 11 Oct 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2021, 5:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ani90
It is shortsighted if UA thinks that abysmal service during COVID will have no impact post-COVID. The lounges are not going to suddenly improve the day business travel picks up. UA may end up paying dearly for the neglect and underinvestment in it's lounges through the COVID period. Once COVID is done they will be playing catch up and will be impossible game as the competition may have long left them behind. Some airlines took advantage of the pandemic to renew and refresh their lounges whereas for United it has been an even more advanced degree of decay and decline.

What I saw in the EWR lounge this weekend is without question the worst lounge I have ever witnessed in a US airport - and to imagine that this is their main hub serving a large section of the country. There is simply no excuse for such a deplorable lounge and lounge situation - regardless of what's happening with business travel. I am not sure though that business travel alone should be what drives investment in airline lounges. Lounge access is the most tangible benefit of gold status with major alliances and one that all can truly benefit from (unlike say upgrades). If there is effectively no star alliance lounge (of international standard) in EWR terminal C then that is an impetus to seek another alliance or to fly other airlines in the alliance.
​​​​​​

This. I challenge any UA executive to visit a LH Senator lounge at FRA and then visit the deplorable lounges at EWR, and not be ashamed of what they are offering. In fact, if I were *A, I'd start pressuring UA to pick up their game, because they are clearly not matching the other members of the alliance, and they are cheapening the brand.

Originally Posted by dilanesp

I suspect the numbers for travelers spending Other People's Money are grim for the foreseeable future, due not only to the dynamics of COVID (future outbreaks, variants, lack of consistent vaccination), and the restrictions on international travel which have persisted, but also due to a lot of businesses finding alternatives to business travel, sending fewer people out, changing travel policies.

If those numbers are what I think they are, United is acting extremely intelligently and preparing for a very different future of air travel.
LH can offer a decent lounge experience under current conditions. Why can't UA?
Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by halls120
This. I challenge any UA executive to visit a LH Senator lounge at FRA and then visit the deplorable lounges at EWR, and not be ashamed of what they are offering. In fact, if I were *A, I'd start pressuring UA to pick up their game, because they are clearly not matching the other members of the alliance, and they are cheapening the brand.
I thought, for sure, that the TATL JV partners premium cabin service levels (especially LH Group) would prompt United to bring Polaris closer to normal, sooner, but that hasn't happened in over a year. No reason to think similar logic applies to the lounge product.

With that said, I am generally satisfied with the United Club offerings in the open lounges outside of EWR. I have my minor gripes (everything plastic-wrapped, despite no impact on COVID transmission and significant waste, EcoSkies be damned), but overall I think the level of food service is higher than it was pre-pandemic. It's just unfortunate that the EWR hub has such a poor lounge product now, which is no surprise given that it was languishing long before the pandemic.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: *
It won't be like Ryanair. Basic economy is the Ryanair model.
The Ryanair model is not simply basic economy per se but rather one of minimizing all costs and maximizing travel throughput. With a Ryanair type model you can certainly still have business class seats but you either won't put the passengers in a lounge or you put them in as cheap and overcrowded a lounge as you can (just like current EWR situation).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA is trying to ramp up its capital investments but they need to be careful not to get too far ahead of demand
But they are not even meeting current demand. And this is with transatlantic travel still on a low. I was in the lounge at 7 pm and thought to myself what the place would look like if UA resumed even half of it's preCOVID nightly transatlantic travel with all the J travelers (till Polaris lounge opens) and star golds.

LH can offer a decent lounge experience under current conditions. Why can't UA?
​​​​​ Exactly. I don't think we will find an airline with a worse lounge in a hub airport anywhere in the world. COVID is just an excuse - the EWR lounge situation was just as bad pre-COVID as numerous (pre 2020) posts in this thread highlight. We just got desensitized and have developed a Stockholm Syndrome type bond with United; and for those who primarily flew Polaris pre COVID they probably hadn't noticed the decline in the United Club.

But let's say that there are profitable opportunities in domestic service, which is booming, and a very dicey situation in international premium cabins. What would your lounge product look like?
There has to be a distinction from lounges that serve international travellers and those that don't. The former have a much higher standard to meet. Things like having a quiet area to relax and work, for a few hours, showers, food, business facilities, etc become important given sometimes long layovers and need to be in airports much earlier. Maybe the current EWR lounge might meet US domestic standards, and that would be fine as for most domestic pax going through the lounge stop is brief and overall travel time is brief. Maybe United should move the transatlantic flights to Terminal A and have a decent international lounge there and keep the dump that is terminal C for domestic travellers who feel the current lounge is okay (but frankly I would be as outraged as a domestic traveller because means the only way I got to the lounge is that I am paying a fee or GS...).
​​​​​​​
Old Sep 9, 2021, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
This afternoon at Newark. Packed as always, with now a line out the door at the pop up.

How is this remotely acceptable to United !?!?

Old Sep 9, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am paying VERY high prices for domestic itineraries. 9 days out, I am having to buy "M" fares, for simple UAX direct round trips. Profitable

United has 2 very easy ways to address the chronic overcrowding/sub-par Club experience.
  • Extend the hours of the existing "pop-up" Club in Terminal C.
  • Open the existing Terminal A Club
They are doing neither of these for their "High-Value, High-Fare" domestic passengers. Even when they reduce the size of the existing club by curtaining off flooded areas.

The situation at Newark can in no way be described as "a quiet place to work during a connection"
There aren't many high value high fare domestic passengers to begin with. There's a reason even first class domestic product is a lot less swanky than it was 40 years ago. I feel bad that you are paying high fares, but the reality is while UA does not aspire to be Spirit/Ryanair, the Spirit/Ryanair model takes advantage of the fact that most domestic passengers are in fact low margin and price sensitive. And during the pandemic, business travel is way, way down, which means that the ONLY way for an airline to make any money is to load up as many planes as possible with those low margin, price sensitive passengers.

The issue is not whether you are getting what you paid for- you clearly are not- but whether the market as a whole is conducive to offering the perks. Right now it isn't. If you have to fly for business anyway, well, you won't find a lot of perks on AA, DL, WN, AS, or B6 either.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by st530
I did not; I'm basing that on my two July visits when there was no premium bubbly, just prosecco. Also, a friend of mine was there yesterday and said no premium bubbly either. I guess you got lucky (or I unlucky).
They also have complimentary Mimosas that pour out of a premixed bottle - first time I saw this,
Old Sep 9, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
This afternoon at Newark. Packed as always, with now a line out the door at the pop up.

How is this remotely acceptable to United !?!?
It's acceptable because UA's customers continue to renew those memberships and credit cards, and UA will gladly take the cash and operate in the most minimal fashion.

This is on the pax for feeding UA such behavior.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by Repooc17
It's acceptable because UA's customers continue to renew those memberships and credit cards, and UA will gladly take the cash and operate in the most minimal fashion.

God bless the day many years ago that I invested part of a bonus into CO Pres Club lifetime . . .
Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by elitefreak
God bless the day many years ago that I invested part of a bonus into CO Pres Club lifetime . . .
+1.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 3:35 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by elitefreak
I did that with EA. EA joined with CO. Then CO joined with UA. It's been quite the ride!
8MiHi likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 4:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There aren't many high value high fare domestic passengers to begin with.
But there are a lot of customers who have shelled out $$ for UC memberships, and at EWR, UA gives them a big middle finger. Why? They just reopened the UC at RDU, and three of the four UC's at IAD are open, and I don't see lines at the door waiting to get in. For whatever reason, UA seems to have it in for their customers in Newark.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: united
But there are a lot of customers who have shelled out $$ for UC memberships, and at EWR, UA gives them a big middle finger. Why? They just reopened the UC at RDU, and three of the four UC's at IAD are open, and I don't see lines at the door waiting to get in. For whatever reason, UA seems to have it in for their customers in Newark.
Newark is a big hub as well as UA's major presence in the nation's biggest market.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Repooc17

I guess you and I have a very different perspective on the expectations for businesses we frequent. Cheers.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I guess you and I have a very different perspective on the expectations for businesses we frequent. Cheers.
You'd expect United to do right by its (paying) customers. Ultimately, United doesn't really care; else alternative solutions would be sought, and gaps would be made whole.

Yes, we are different. For me, the second I see glaring issue(s) with businesses I frequent, I'd cut off the source. I have no patience waiting for some kind of miracle turnaround; once it's been rotten, there is no coming back.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I was at the EWR-C74 club a couple of days ago. The full club is pen again. The curtains are gone and the ceiling tiles in the area that was closed are back in place.
SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.