Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of United Clubs at EWR (C74 reopened 11 Oct 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pseudoswede
EWR United Club Status as of October 2023

Terminal A - Upper level, near Gate A27, 5:00 a.m. - 9:15 p.m. daily
C1 - Near gate C74 (upper level) - 5:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily - hot food, no showers [reopened 11 Oct 2023]
C2 - Pop-up location near C93 (now closed)
C3 - Near gate C123 (upper level) - 5:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily - hot food, shower suites

related threads: Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs? (C3)
United Polaris Lounge Open in Newark (EWR)

related thread: Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?

Archive thread:Status of United Clubs at EWR {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Status of United Clubs at EWR (C74 reopened 11 Oct 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
True - I've got to think they pondered that - my guess is they didn't want the unwashed masses to deteriorate the space
At this point... why not open it up to a select group (1K/GS only? Those on INTL tickets who have club access [Polaris-lite?]?) -- maintain an 'exclusive' product while alleviating crowding to some extent and showing that UA still values GS/1K despite the number of benefits that either aren't being offered or are being offered to everyone.

I suspect that a lot more of this than we think comes down to staff availability -- I've been hearing crazy things directly and indirectly from basically everywhere in the US about amount of OT, vacant lines, sick calls, etc. -- and the PL lounge configuration requires really a minimum of 4 agents to operate sanely. If you don't have a surplus of agents to assign those have to come from somewhere else... gates? Not really much slack there in EWR I would assume. Other clubs? Then you have people complaining about the lack of assistance there.... Plus the nooks and crannies require more attention (cost/time) from cleaning staff and...and...and...

I honestly believe that if it weren't a root cause staffing issue we'd see the A club open already -- much lower staff requirements (I think it could actually be run somewhat sanely with one agent assuming no IROPS) and not as many nooks to have to patrol for cleanliness... not to mention "standard" UC food and beverage setup vs. the Polaris setup that would have to be shuffled to fit UC F&B in or require more staff attendance.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
At this point... why not open it up to a select group (1K/GS only? Those on INTL tickets who have club access [Polaris-lite?]?) -- maintain an 'exclusive' product while alleviating crowding to some extent and showing that UA still values GS/1K despite the number of benefits that either aren't being offered or are being offered to everyone.

I suspect that a lot more of this than we think comes down to staff availability -- I've been hearing crazy things directly and indirectly from basically everywhere in the US about amount of OT, vacant lines, sick calls, etc. -- and the PL lounge configuration requires really a minimum of 4 agents to operate sanely. If you don't have a surplus of agents to assign those have to come from somewhere else... gates? Not really much slack there in EWR I would assume. Other clubs? Then you have people complaining about the lack of assistance there.... Plus the nooks and crannies require more attention (cost/time) from cleaning staff and...and...and...

I honestly believe that if it weren't a root cause staffing issue we'd see the A club open already -- much lower staff requirements (I think it could actually be run somewhat sanely with one agent assuming no IROPS) and not as many nooks to have to patrol for cleanliness... not to mention "standard" UC food and beverage setup vs. the Polaris setup that would have to be shuffled to fit UC F&B in or require more staff attendance.
Staff availability is a problem in the entire restaurant industry. You are seeing some fast food places staying drive-through only because they can't hire workers. So that's definitely an issue.

But I still think the main issue is the entire business model of the Polaris lounge presumes a whole bunch of business travelers paying $4,000 roundtrip of someone else's money per ticket who want a luxurious, very private space at the airport. And until that market exists again in large numbers, United probably takes a big financial hit to reopen the lounges.
SPN Lifer, EWR764, seanp7 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold Status.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
My opinion is that UA has little to no control of the lounge situation at EWR. I think it is a big leap they are deliberately neglecting a major hub on purpose.

I suspect UA is also frustrated with the lounge situation and the issues are squarely with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey who run the airport. You don't get permits - build - essentially do anything without Port Authority approval - and for whatever reason (likely money/slipping an envelope of cash to the right person) the Port Authority hasn't been very interested in dealing with UA.
I'm just perplexed as to why UA isn't using the Polaris Lounge at EWR for extra space. And I thought UA was racing to get that new lounge in built in C-3, did it slow down because of COVID-19?

When UA decided to use the new & larger ex-President's Club as a Polaris Lounge, I saw a regular UC space concern coming from a mile away. I think it would've been a cool idea to make the C-74 lounge a Polaris Lounge instead as it needed an update anyway as it's still stuck in the '80s. Having a Polaris Lounge with the enclosed windows overlooking the food court & the walk up stair access could've been a neat deployment. In retrospect, I think UA could've truly made it happen if they weren't in such a rush to open a Polaris Lounge at EWR.

If you compare UA with such a large hub to what DL has at JFK and their clubs, the situation really isn't acceptable at the moment. If the "Pop Up" Club has lines, you know it's bad. They really need to finish up the so-called planned "Largest UC" in C-3 to fix this.

Last edited by Saab_Redondo_1987; Sep 13, 2021 at 10:38 am
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Saab_Redondo_1987
I'm just perplexed as to why UA isn't using the Polaris Lounge at EWR for extra space. And I thought UA was racing to get that new lounge in built in C-3, did it slow down because of COVID-19?

When UA decided to use the new & larger ex-President's Club as a Polaris Lounge, I saw a regular UC space concern coming from a mile away. I think it would've been a cool idea to make the C-74 lounge a Polaris Lounge instead as it needed an update anyway as it's still stuck in the '80s. Having a Polaris Lounge with the enclosed windows overlooking the food court & the walk up stair access could've been a neat deployment. In retrospect, I think UA could've truly made it happen if they weren't in such a rush to open a Polaris Lounge at EWR.

If you compare UA with such a large hub to what DL has at JFK and their clubs, the situation really isn't acceptable at the moment. If the "Pop Up" Club has lines, you know it's bad. They really need to finish up the so-called planned "Largest UC" in C-3 to fix this.
The problem with making the existing C-1 club into a Polaris lounge is that the C-1 concourse has fewer than half the widebody parking positions at C, so there would be long walks to gates on C-2/C-3. The Polaris Lounge is also quite a bit larger than the C-1 club.

The C-3 United Club construction began in late 2019, but was suspended for most of 2020 due to the pandemic. Work resumed in early 2021, so it's probably a year behind schedule. Last I heard was to expect an opening in Spring 2022. Still, the C-3 United Club is far enough down the concourse that it is pretty inconvenient for C-2 departures, leaving limited options for passengers flying from those gates. Prior to COVID, the plan was for the C-1 United Club to get a full renovation after the C-3 Club opens. I'm not sure if that's still the case. UA will also be opening a new United Club in Terminal A when that facility is operational.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dilanesp
But I still think the main issue is the entire business model of the Polaris lounge presumes a whole bunch of business travelers paying $4,000 roundtrip of someone else's money per ticket who want a luxurious, very private space at the airport. And until that market exists again in large numbers, United probably takes a big financial hit to reopen the lounges.
Except that we aren't talking about a business model that can't currently support Polaris. We're talking about UA not lifting a finger to provide a decent about of UC space. They manage to offer it at their other hubs - why do they shaft the customers based out of EWR?
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold Status.
Originally Posted by EWR764
The problem with making the existing C-1 club into a Polaris lounge is that the C-1 concourse has fewer than half the widebody parking positions at C, so there would be long walks to gates on C-2/C-3. The Polaris Lounge is also quite a bit larger than the C-1 club.

The C-3 United Club construction began in late 2019, but was suspended for most of 2020 due to the pandemic. Work resumed in early 2021, so it's probably a year behind schedule. Last I heard was to expect an opening in Spring 2022. Still, the C-3 United Club is far enough down the concourse that it is pretty inconvenient for C-2 departures, leaving limited options for passengers flying from those gates. Prior to COVID, the plan was for the C-1 United Club to get a full renovation after the C-3 Club opens. I'm not sure if that's still the case. UA will also be opening a new United Club in Terminal A when that facility is operational.
Meh, a long walk to the gates wouldn't be a deal breaker to me at all. EWR is already a zoo to navigate with everything from the security areas to the annoying narrow walkway extension which is by the Polaris Lounge outside the security area(s).

Regardless, Spring 2022 is a long time to get the new C-3 club up and running given the situation at the moment.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member

Who did you hear this from?
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by elitefreak
Who did you hear this from?
Are you looking for a name? Are you fact-checking? What are you questioning? The timeline of the C-3 club construction, a pre-COVID plan to renovate C-1 or the opening of a new lounge in the new Terminal A to replace the existing (but closed) lounge in a terminal where UA will be operating about a dozen mainline gates?
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Are you looking for a name? Are you fact-checking? What are you questioning? The timeline of the C-3 club construction, a pre-COVID plan to renovate C-1 or the opening of a new lounge in the new Terminal A to replace the existing (but closed) lounge in a terminal where UA will be operating about a dozen mainline gates?
I was wondering where you heard of a Spring 2022 opening of the C-3 club. Sorry for my poor quote editing. Quite innocent . . .
Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by elitefreak
I was wondering where you heard of a Spring 2022 opening of the C-3 club. Sorry for my poor quote editing. Quite innocent . . .
No worries... I have a friend involved in the construction who advises that the inspection timeline is some time in the late winter, which would portend a spring opening. My guess is it will be ready for Summer 2022 (assume April/May opening). Interior work is underway now.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:50 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I departed out of gate C125 earlier this week, my first EWR flight in years.

At check-in I asked the roving UA lobby agent what UC was closest to my gate. (I wasn't sure if more than one club were open, but I thought I read somewhere that there was.) She just shrugged and said she didn't know.

After clearing TSA, I decided to head toward C125 to see if I passed any UC. I encountered a UA agent and asked if there were a UC in the concourse with C125, and he said no, but there was a pop-up UC in the C101-C115 concourse we were standing in front of. So, I walked the length of that concourse and finally asked another UA agent, and he said, no, only one club was open, the one by C74.

How can UA CSRs *not* know where, and how many, UCs are open in their own airport? (Especially one who was roaming the gate area.) </rant off>
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wpcoe
...How can UA CSRs *not* know where, and how many, UCs are open in their own airport?...

I can guarantee each agent at EWR knows how/where to clock in and out.
SPN Lifer, DELee and truncated like this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The UA app will provide directions
C1 - Near gate C74, upper level.
C1 - Pop-up location near C93 - no hot food -- very limited hours, 3:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. daily
the other pop up was closed for the construction of the new, not yet opened UC

UA personal are specialized and will not be as informed about other parts of the UA operation, And the answer varies on the time (would not be surprised the existence of the pop up is not well known)
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 15, 2021 at 1:12 pm Reason: 3:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. daily
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I can guarantee each agent at EWR knows how/where to clock in and out.
He he - I had to walk through a gauntlet of them the other day after arriving at EWR. They were in a long line by the time clocks on level 2, waiting a few minutes before clocking ut. That agents don't know which UA clubs are open would be shocking -- but it's EWR we're talking about.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 9:04 am

Location: EWR and KGL (with occasional home/work trips to NRT/ITM)
Programs: MP MM 1K, Sky Miles, Emirates Gold
I will be flying Polaris on Sunday. The last time I went through EWR, they punched my ticket for premium drinks at the UC front desk.
The situation is the same now? Do I ask the lounge dragon to punch a hole in my ticket for premium drinks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.