Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of United Clubs at EWR (C74 reopened 11 Oct 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pseudoswede
EWR United Club Status as of October 2023

Terminal A - Upper level, near Gate A27, 5:00 a.m. - 9:15 p.m. daily
C1 - Near gate C74 (upper level) - 5:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily - hot food, no showers [reopened 11 Oct 2023]
C2 - Pop-up location near C93 (now closed)
C3 - Near gate C123 (upper level) - 5:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily - hot food, shower suites

related threads: Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs? (C3)
United Polaris Lounge Open in Newark (EWR)

related thread: Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?

Archive thread:Status of United Clubs at EWR {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Status of United Clubs at EWR (C74 reopened 11 Oct 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2023, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post # 481)
Stopped by the United Club Pop-up in C today to grab a quick coffee. Surprised to find that all the Coke products have been replaced by Shasta !

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post # 485)
Haha. Maybe their thought, but Shasta?!?! Even as a stopgap, that is a horrible replacement. Are they really so cheap now to not run the risk of having a couple cans of real Coke products left over?
They really never cease to amaze.

I do also love the sign...crossing out "Coke" and handwriting "Shasta" with a sharpie. Classy all around.
Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post # 489)
"This is much ado about nothing.
To the contrary, this is the most insightful fine dining change UA has made since the introduction onboard of the Dole™ Fruit Cup®.

Speaking as a life member of the United Club, I am absolutely delighted that they are now serving delicious Shasta sodas!

For hundreds of thousands, dare I say millions of us, a Shasta soda evokes wistful memories of summers in the 1960s. The Summer of Love. The Space Race. Especially in Northern California, where Mt. Shasta is a prominent landmark.

If Shasta soda becomes popular enough during this trial, maybe it will become permanent. 💚

If UA can save a bit of money thereby (instead of going to the leading members of the carbonated beverage industrial complex), so much the better.
goodeats21 and Spectre17 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
What, exactly, have been the nickel-and-diming cost cuts at the United Clubs under Kirby? The all new or renovated lounges with more, and better hot food than ever before? The comping of draft beers that used to be charged? The special food spreads for holidays and local events? The Fly concept with grab and go food in addition to new lounges at DEN? Sure, they are not SkyClubs, but we don't have SkyClub crowding with 20-minute lines, either.

I'm as critical as anyone of UA when it's warranted (onboard product, chiefly), but sorry, I need to call out alarmist madness when I see it.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, JAXPax and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 1:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
re: Shasta at UA UC

This is not actually bothering me that much. Whereas Shasta doesn't have the name recognition as CocaCola has, the ingredients are likely pretty close to being identical.
Can't speak of taste, but I fail to see what the outcry is about; it's just pop.
Both companies are old, by the way, separated only by three years.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Sorry, can't agree with this part. I'm not willing to ignore United's conscious decision to cheapen out on a product I pay a yearly subscription for.
Another example of contempt for customers to save a nickel.

And I would be shocked if the C93 club opens in a "few weeks".
Would you rather that they had Shasta or nothing? United is clearly not switching to Shasta. There was a supply issue of sme kind.
SPN Lifer, EWR764, narvik and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by EWR764
What, exactly, have been the nickel-and-diming cost cuts at the United Clubs under Kirby? The all new or renovated lounges with more, and better hot food than ever before? The comping of draft beers that used to be charged? The special food spreads for holidays and local events? The Fly concept with grab and go food in addition to new lounges at DEN? Sure, they are not SkyClubs, but we don't have SkyClub crowding with 20-minute lines, either.

I'm as critical as anyone of UA when it's warranted (onboard product, chiefly), but sorry, I need to call out alarmist madness when I see it.
Alarmist madness! Kudos! I'm a GS and can go on about the nickel & diming to that program. And I fly internationally quite a bit but others have noted how poor the UA J soft product is and how it has deteriorated since its inception (and the hard product is just "meh" for the cost) so I'll let others speak to that. But have you been to the United Club in EWR A? Pretty big operation with lots of traffic. Food is mediocore at best but have you been to the men's room there? Two pissoirs and two stalls- that's nickel & diming par excellence
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post # 499)
Would you rather that they had Shasta or nothing? United is clearly not switching to Shasta. There was a supply issue of sme kind.
"It has ta be Shasta!"™
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LAX
The temporary UC is run by a third party? I thought carbonated beverage companies (ie: Coca Cola vs Pepsi) are supposed to have "exclusive" contracts. Thus, one would either see Coke or Pepsi in a lounge and not other brands. Wouldn't serving Shasta violate that exclusivity?
All of the club F&B and housekeeping is (at least domestically) outsourced -- I think there a re a few different vendors but it's part of the reason the uniforms for "real" UA staff (e.g. those who can assist with travel needs, credential verification, etc.) and outsourced staff are completely different -- just look at the name tags [not ID badge] if nothing else.

As others noted UA and Coke have a pretty broad agreement and the F&B operator is, generally, going to serve what UA specifies. Does UA specify "Coke" or do they specify "Soft drinks"? Does UA's exclusivity with Coke extend to clubs? (Since IIRC UA operates as the master lessor for concessions in C at EWR it would seem no since I can find Mountain Dew at least occasionally in the terminal)

Sorry, can't agree with this part. I'm not willing to ignore United's conscious decision to cheapen out on a product I pay a yearly subscription for.
Another example of contempt for customers to save a nickel.

And I would be shocked if the C93 club opens in a "few weeks".
Conscious decision? United's? This seems like a quick judgement assuming facts not in evidence -- I doubt that at a corporate level this even made a blip in either the decision making or costing (there are very few clubs that serve canned beverages) and as mentioned the F&B vendor may have had to make the substitution for operational reasons. If UA is actually providing the beverages I would have to assume in the quantities UA is buying truckfulls of Coke (for inflight, etc.) are cost competitive to a few cases of Shasta for one popup club.

But I'm also expecting "Winter" for C93 based on what I've heard and what I know about construction generally... If they're hanging lights now there's a LOT between then and getting customers into the space. And that's if everything goes perfectly.

Sure. And I don't intend to make this out to be the end of the world. But it is actually the contempt part that irked me the most.

I doubt seriously that all lines of Coke products suddenly become unavailable, and the only substitution available was Shasta. But if so, how hard is it to show you actual acknowledge and care?

"Due to supply chain constraints, we are not able to stock our normal selection of Coke products. While we work quickly to restore availability, we have been able to obtain Shasta products as a temporary solution. We apologize for this substitution and be assured Coke products will return as soon as possible."

And as someone that has oversight of both in-house and contract hospitality in my portfolio, in my mind it is squarely on United. Both the outage, and the reaction to it. Especially as this is a pop up club to try and address the inconvenience of not having a full club available in this area. To me, that is the last place you cheapen out.

On a happier note, I am glad that you think the remodeled club is within a couple weeks of opening. I will be glad to be wrong on my skepticism of this. You seem to have good info / sources on things, so fingers crossed.

I now return to more pressing matters, like worrying if my morning flight out of EWR tomorrow will be delayed by the weather this afternoon.
I think most people don't care enough for UA to care about brand of fizzy liquid. I mean sure I prefer Mountain Dew (hey, I'm a programmer first and foremost... have to fall into the stereotypes ) but when I ask for a "Coke" at a restaurant my level of care about if that's actually Coke(R), Pepsi, Shasta, President's Choice, RC, or any one of the millions of other colas is not particularly high. And my primary purpose for visiting a United Club certainly isn't because I can get a free can of any of those.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 8:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by manstein58
Alarmist madness! Kudos! I'm a GS and can go on about the nickel & diming to that program. And I fly internationally quite a bit but others have noted how poor the UA J soft product is and how it has deteriorated since its inception (and the hard product is just "meh" for the cost) so I'll let others speak to that. But have you been to the United Club in EWR A? Pretty big operation with lots of traffic. Food is mediocore at best but have you been to the men's room there? Two pissoirs and two stalls- that's nickel & diming par excellence
Plenty of other examples of nickel and diming elsewhere, like I said. But if the only example of the same at United Clubs is the restroom situation at the new EWR A club, then I think that illustrates my point directly.

Put differently, if a one-off substitution for Coke at a temporary lounge is the biggest gripe about United Clubs in some time... I would say they are doing something right.

Again, much ado about nothing.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
What is this cola wars? Come on people, if you can't pronounce what's in it you probably shouldn't ingest it anyway.
SPN Lifer and EWR764 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Gold
Can United Gold+ use the new A Club? (or has anyone tried)

Air Canada website claims:
N.B In this new location, Air Canada will be uniquely co-located within the United Club, offering a dedicated Air Canada customer service desk and an access policy consistent with Air Canada’s Maple Leaf Lounges.
"An access policy consistent with AC's ... Lounges" which should meant that any *G is eligible traveling on *A flight

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...!lounge@newark
Old Aug 16, 2023, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by leftysauce
Can United Gold+ use the new A Club? (or has anyone tried)

Air Canada website claims:

"An access policy consistent with AC's ... Lounges" which should meant that any *G is eligible traveling on *A flight

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...!lounge@newark
On a domestic itinerary? No, UA *G cannot access. It's a UC despite AC co-locating.

​​​​​
Old Aug 16, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
On a domestic itinerary? No, UA *G cannot access. It's a UC despite AC co-locating.

​​​​​
Lol maybe there's a maple leaf section/entrance within UC

why does it say the location offers "an access policy consistent with Air Canada’s Maple Leaf Lounges" then
Old Aug 16, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by leftysauce
Lol maybe there's a maple leaf section/entrance within UC

why does it say the location offers "an access policy consistent with Air Canada’s Maple Leaf Lounges" then
There is only one entry for this UC. You can scan your boarding pass. If the gate does not open for you, you will be denied for entry. This is quite simple.
By the way, I only used one one-pass coupon for two persons at this club last Friday. Both of them are UA 1Ks. Perhaps, AC granted me entry while denied my wife.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
Put differently, if a one-off substitution for Coke at a temporary lounge is the biggest gripe about United Clubs in some time... I would say they are doing something right.
Not to prolong this but I have a really, really hard time getting upset with a conversation that goes something like "Hey Phil, the soda guy didn't show up ... Called the distributor, truck's broken down on the side of the Turnpike, and we're running low on drinks out here." "OK Mike, go run to Shop-Rite, get what you can for now and I'll see what's going on with the Coke distributor."

I mean, we just had another thread going here on FT about employee enablement. This kind of creative problem solving seems to me to be exactly that --- letting folks (yes, even contractors) solve problems.

Which is a better answer to a customer inquiry?

"Sorry, I know you're thirsty but the delivery truck hasn't arrived yet. Sorry the fridge is empty; no, I don't have any more in the back."
"Yes, I know we usually carry Coke, but the delivery truck hasn't arrived yet, so we got what we could. There's cold ones in there - have you tried the ginger ale?"

Answer's brutally obvious.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, EWR764 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I've searched and can't find the most recent update on when the new C74 club will finally open. I'd earlier seen end of August, but was told last week in EWR it would be October. Is there an official word?

C74

Last edited by sbtinme; Aug 27, 2023 at 8:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.