Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of United Clubs at EWR (C74 reopened 11 Oct 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pseudoswede
EWR United Club Status as of October 2023

Terminal A - Upper level, near Gate A27, 5:00 a.m. - 9:15 p.m. daily
C1 - Near gate C74 (upper level) - 5:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily - hot food, no showers [reopened 11 Oct 2023]
C2 - Pop-up location near C93 (now closed)
C3 - Near gate C123 (upper level) - 5:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily - hot food, shower suites

related threads: Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs? (C3)
United Polaris Lounge Open in Newark (EWR)

related thread: Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?

Archive thread:Status of United Clubs at EWR {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Status of United Clubs at EWR (C74 reopened 11 Oct 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2023, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Stopped by the United Club Pop-up in C today to grab a quick coffee. Surprised to find that all the Coke products have been replaced by Shasta !

Are we going to see generic soda in the clubs now? Maybe a pre-order system where you can reserve a Coke, but only the first 10 people every day?
SPN Lifer, narvik, 8MiHi and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 8:29 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Shasta?!!? You have to give credit where credit is due-United throws those nickels around like they're manhole covers!!
SPN Lifer, halls120, st530 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 8:40 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by jackny
Since the UC in terminal A is co-located with the air Canada lounge can we access that lounge as a star alliance gold membership through United on a domestic UA flight?
No - it is a United Club, not a MLL, so United Club entry rules apply (i.e., no UA*G entrance on domestic flights unless you're GS).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Walking by the C-1 Club yesterday, it looks like interior fit out is underway. Light fixtures going in, ceiling panels, etc. My hope is it could open around Labor Day, but expectation would be some time in the late summer/early fall. Finally.

Originally Posted by manstein58
Shasta?!!? You have to give credit where credit is due-United throws those nickels around like they're manhole covers!!
United Club or assisted living facility? Yikes.

The best explanation I can come up with is that United will close the pop-up when the new C-1 UC opens, which will have a Coke Freestyle machine. Thus, no need to bulk order canned Coke products anymore, and Shasta is just a stopgap.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by EWR764
Walking by the C-1 Club yesterday, it looks like interior fit out is underway. Light fixtures going in, ceiling panels, etc. My hope is it could open around Labor Day, but expectation would be some time in the late summer/early fall. Finally.

The best explanation I can come up with is that United will close the pop-up when the new C-1 UC opens, which will have a Coke Freestyle machine. Thus, no need to bulk order canned Coke products anymore, and Shasta is just a stopgap.
Haha. Maybe their thought, but Shasta?!?! Even as a stopgap, that is a horrible replacement. Are they really so cheap now to not run the risk of having a couple cans of real Coke products left over?
They really never cease to amaze.

I do also love the sign...crossing out "Coke" and handwriting "Shasta" with a sharpie. Classy all around.
8MiHi and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Haha. Maybe their thought, but Shasta?!?! Even as a stopgap, that is a horrible replacement. Are they really so cheap now to not run the risk of having a couple cans of real Coke products left over?

I do also love the sign...crossing out "Coke" and handwriting "Shasta" with a sharpie. Classy all around.
Who knows... worth noting, that this is a vendor decision, not United's. It's unclear whether Shasta is a contractually-acceptable substitution for a brand-standard item... I'd say probably not, but I don't know for certain what's behind it.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Hey - getting items out of the back of a truck, which ever truck that pulled up to the dock, was a win in their mind. And, apparently, they didn't mind.

David
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 7:00 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Who knows... worth noting, that this is a vendor decision, not United's. It's unclear whether Shasta is a contractually-acceptable substitution for a brand-standard item... I'd say probably not, but I don't know for certain what's behind it.
The temporary UC is run by a third party? I thought carbonated beverage companies (ie: Coca Cola vs Pepsi) are supposed to have "exclusive" contracts. Thus, one would either see Coke or Pepsi in a lounge and not other brands. Wouldn't serving Shasta violate that exclusivity?

LAX
8MiHi likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
The temporary UC is run by a third party? I thought carbonated beverage companies (ie: Coca Cola vs Pepsi) are supposed to have "exclusive" contracts. Thus, one would either see Coke or Pepsi in a lounge and not other brands. Wouldn't serving Shasta violate that exclusivity?

LAX
Food and beverage programs in United Clubs at hubs are run by a third party (FLiK Hospitality). United has a pretty broad deal with Coca-Cola, hence the Freestyle machines in new lounges. Coke products onboard, co-brand elements (napkins), advertising, etc. FLiK serves what United dictates, although there are certain allowable contingencies/substitutions in all such contracts. The Shasta products seem to be little more than a one-off to supply the C93 pop-up lounge for the last few weeks of its existence before the renovated C-1 United Club reopens, which is no more than a few weeks away.

This is much ado about nothing.
Xyzzy and JAXPax like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Food and beverage programs in United Clubs at hubs are run by a third party (FLiK Hospitality). United has a pretty broad deal with Coca-Cola, hence the Freestyle machines in new lounges. Coke products onboard, co-brand elements (napkins), advertising, etc. FLiK serves what United dictates, although there are certain allowable contingencies/substitutions in all such contracts. The Shasta products seem to be little more than a one-off to supply the C93 pop-up lounge for the last few weeks of its existence before the renovated C-1 United Club reopens, which is no more than a few weeks away.

This is much ado about nothing.
Sorry, can't agree with this part. I'm not willing to ignore United's conscious decision to cheapen out on a product I pay a yearly subscription for.
Another example of contempt for customers to save a nickel.

And I would be shocked if the C93 club opens in a "few weeks".
Old Aug 10, 2023, 2:24 pm

Sorry, can't agree with this part. I'm not willing to ignore United's conscious decision to cheapen out on a product I pay a yearly subscription for.
Another example of contempt for customers to save a nickel.

And I would be shocked if the C93 club opens in a "few weeks".
I didn't want to keep belaboring this silly point, but since you responded directly to me, I'll bite.

Can you point to evidence (besides the basic fact that a cheap hospital soda brand is actually stocked instead of Coke) that this is (1) a conscious decision; (2) by United; (3) to cheapen the product? Are there any other examples, besides a temporary pop-up club with a different beverage program than any of the other lounges at EWR, where this is happening?

If you are in such dire, urgent need of Coca-Cola products, they are still widely available at the C123 club, the Terminal A club, and every other United Club in the system. And "contempt"? Really? I hesitate to attribute to malice or contempt that which can be just as easily explained by totally innocuous factors, like we have discussed above. Now, if there were some widespread transition to Shasta across the system, or at other locations at EWR staffed and supplied by the same vendor -- even a rumor of the same -- then I would feel differently about it. Here, there aren't, so I don't.

As far as the C-1 club opening in a few weeks... time will tell.
United747 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First

Maybe there is a supply issue. A few other lounges like a couple of the east coast The Club lounges have had Shasta pop up in the last 10 days or so. There are a few companies that specialize in being the final fulfiller at airports (like Bradford Logistics as one) that tend to be the supplier for all the varietals of clubs... kind of like DFW the same third party provides the food for Admiral's Club, United Club, PrimeClass, etc.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
I didn't want to keep belaboring this silly point, but since you responded directly to me, I'll bite.

Can you point to evidence (besides the basic fact that a cheap hospital soda brand is actually stocked instead of Coke) that this is (1) a conscious decision; (2) by United; (3) to cheapen the product? Are there any other examples, besides a temporary pop-up club with a different beverage program than any of the other lounges at EWR, where this is happening?

If you are in such dire, urgent need of Coca-Cola products, they are still widely available at the C123 club, the Terminal A club, and every other United Club in the system. And "contempt"? Really? I hesitate to attribute to malice or contempt that which can be just as easily explained by totally innocuous factors, like we have discussed above. Now, if there were some widespread transition to Shasta across the system, or at other locations at EWR staffed and supplied by the same vendor -- even a rumor of the same -- then I would feel differently about it. Here, there aren't, so I don't.

Your points are acknowledged…but UA under Kirby has a detailed history of nickel-and-diming its good customers to death. So…they do not get the benefit of the doubt here in my book
Noanker1, goodeats21 and Repooc17 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:59 pm

Guy on delivery truck: "Here's your soda."
Employee: "Huh? Shasta? What's this?"
Guy on delivery truck: "Dunno. You want it or not?"
Employee: "I guess it's better than nothing."
Staffer in lounge: "I'll just be proactive and change the sign so people don't get mad."
FT: NUCLEAR ARMAGEDDON!
Old Aug 10, 2023, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure. And I don't intend to make this out to be the end of the world. But it is actually the contempt part that irked me the most.

I doubt seriously that all lines of Coke products suddenly become unavailable, and the only substitution available was Shasta. But if so, how hard is it to show you actual acknowledge and care?

"Due to supply chain constraints, we are not able to stock our normal selection of Coke products. While we work quickly to restore availability, we have been able to obtain Shasta products as a temporary solution. We apologize for this substitution and be assured Coke products will return as soon as possible."

And as someone that has oversight of both in-house and contract hospitality in my portfolio, in my mind it is squarely on United. Both the outage, and the reaction to it. Especially as this is a pop up club to try and address the inconvenience of not having a full club available in this area. To me, that is the last place you cheapen out.

On a happier note, I am glad that you think the remodeled club is within a couple weeks of opening. I will be glad to be wrong on my skepticism of this. You seem to have good info / sources on things, so fingers crossed.

I now return to more pressing matters, like worrying if my morning flight out of EWR tomorrow will be delayed by the weather this afternoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.