Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Onboard Coffee (Fresh Brew Kova) - Reviews, Questions, Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's Onboard Coffee (Fresh Brew Kova) - Reviews, Questions, Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
On SFO-BOS today one fella in F brought coffee for the FAs to brew and share with the rest of the cabin. Pretty bad when folks bring their own coffee to brew.
That is absolutely hilarious.

I will admit to being a coffee snob of sorts, but I actually like the Fresh"Poo" over the Starbucks stuff.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by itstimetofly
That is absolutely hilarious.
More like sad than hilarious.

Many bring pillows now. Some bring coffee, and I've even seen people bring their own linens.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by naumank
Will they still serve instant decaf? (It's a shame that Smeseck switched United decaf to instant as well.)
Really wish they would have brewed decaf, although the instant is not bad for instant.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
On SFO-BOS today one fella in F brought coffee for the FAs to brew and share with the rest of the cabin. Pretty bad when folks bring their own coffee to brew.
Originally Posted by channa
More like sad than hilarious.
Some might think that this would be a bit pompous or arrogant.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xzh445
Some might think that this would be a bit pompous or arrogant.
I actually think it's quite generous - it's clearly a customer who knows how degraded the coffee has become, and who is trying to help his/her fellow passengers enjoy a decent cup
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I actually think it's quite generous - it's clearly a customer who knows how degraded the coffee has become, and who is trying to help his/her fellow passengers enjoy a decent cup
I sense a BoB opporunity! The default coffee can be the freshpoo, but if one of the F passengers shells out $5, the FAs get to brew a pot of decent, name brand stuff!

Welcome to the new United!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Originally Posted by smashr
I sense a BoB opporunity! The default coffee can be the freshpoo, but if one of the F passengers shells out $5, the FAs get to brew a pot of decent, name brand stuff!

Welcome to the new United!
Of course then in F they could charge for the premium beverage, as well.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Nevsky
Really wish they would have brewed decaf, although the instant is not bad for instant.
I have to disagree with this one. The first time I tasted the instant decaf, I had to "send it back". Utterly un-drinkable, even to this coffee non-snob.

I have seen other passengers either send it back or somehow indicate their dislike of the decaf.

Is there any word if the decaf is changing at all with the upcoming March 1 coffee enhancement date?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I have to disagree with this one. The first time I tasted the instant decaf, I had to "send it back". Utterly un-drinkable, even to this coffee non-snob.

I have seen other passengers either send it back or somehow indicate their dislike of the decaf.

Is there any word if the decaf is changing at all with the upcoming March 1 coffee enhancement date?
+1. On my first CO (pre-merger) domestic flight, I was in F and asked for decaf. The FA gave me a funny look, and explained it was this instant crap now. I had her bring me a cup to check it out; she was entirely correct! And they migrated that stuff to UA with the merger. On a recent UA flight, the FA shared some of her personal decaf stash with me. ^^
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:25 pm

The new coffee, 'KOVA' is significantly better than the fresh-poo 'traveler' blend. Hard to compare with Starbucks as that isn't boarded at all anymore, but KOVA is certainly better than fresh-poo travelers blend.

KOVA is trickling in throughout the system slowly. Ask your crew if it is the new blend 'KOVA' or the old fresh-poo blend. The mix will probably continue for a month or so.

I will not touch the fresh-poo 'traveler' crap - it has an 'artificial' aroma that isn't appealing. The KOVA blend is something I will drink.

As many have noted, it is hard to brew 'superior' coffee on an airplane, given the elements of elevation (altitude of around 8000 feet) and equipment that was designed to brew 'Folgers, et al).

Too bad the influence of Houston was overpowering in this whole debacle. Perhaps Houston has learned a lesson?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
KOVA

Originally Posted by sprokofiev
The new coffee, 'KOVA' is significantly better than the fresh-poo 'traveler' blend. Hard to compare with Starbucks as that isn't boarded at all anymore, but KOVA is certainly better than fresh-poo travelers blend.

KOVA is trickling in throughout the system slowly. Ask your crew if it is the new blend 'KOVA' or the old fresh-poo blend. The mix will probably continue for a month or so.

I will not touch the fresh-poo 'traveler' crap - it has an 'artificial' aroma that isn't appealing. The KOVA blend is something I will drink.
I agree, last week I had a great interaction with a FA. Turned out that they had Freshpoo and KAVA on the plane. It was a domestic 757-200 and the FC area had KAVA but the mid area between FC and Economy had the Freshpoo. Myself and two fellow passengers were provided taste test. We were brought two mugs, one of KAVA and one of FreshPoo. We all agreed the KAVA was acceptable but the Freshpoo was, well, terrible.
I was also provided a myg of hotwater and so I compared Freshpoo to KAVA to Starbucks VIA Italian Roast. KAVA won.
Looks like I can put my VIA packets away!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
I've personally had the new coffee and I can definitely say that it is a big improvement.

I was on nonreving from MCO-IAH today when I saw one of my friends working the flight. After drink/snack service had been completed, I went into the rear galley to chat for a bit.

We were talking about the coffee fiasco and he let me know that the new Kova blend had been onboarded. He then offered me some (I usually don't drink airplane coffee -- it's usually never that great and once you have seen the inside of the potable water tanks you don't want to touch it) and it was actually pretty good.

The blend is a lot stronger, and dare I say, it tastes like actual coffee!

So +1 for that.

Last edited by Sulley; Feb 25, 2012 at 9:32 pm
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
KOVA Is Not Very Good

KOV was served on LAS-IAD this afternoon. The coffe did not have much of an aroma and did not have much taste either. While poeple may debate about whether Starbucks is any good, I would much prefer the aroma and taste of Starbucks over KOVA any day.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:28 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Post KOVA

I had a chance to try the new KOVA blend on a CO flight yesterday.

My comments:
First and foremost, I think this blend is much better than the Journeys blend!

It is still a Freshpoo product, but maybe KOVA is a (comparatively) higher-quality product, whereas perhaps Journeys was a low-cost budget product. I didn't find KOVA to be particularly flavorful, but it was decent, and I finished the whole cup. I was never able to finish a whole cup of Journeys, because it was so vile I couldn't make myself drink more than a sip or two, even if I wanted the caffeine. (Interestingly, the part number printed on the KOVA packs still appears to be CR700C.)

I still prefer the taste of the Starbucks VIA that I started buying in bulk when UA switched to Freshpoo, but the taste and quality of the KOVA blend is satisfactory enough that I probably won't feel the need to continue to buying VIA packets after my current supply is exhausted.

The F galley was stocked with Journeys, but the F flight attendant called the Y galley to ask if they had any KOVA, and she asked them to send some forward to F. She was excited about the new coffee and was looking forward to getting some passenger feedback. She thought that the old Journeys blend was terrible (so, note: it's not just PMUA flight attendants who state that opinion), and she said that if I liked the KOVA, then she would try a taste herself. I gave the FA my last 2011 UA GTEM cert for arranging the taste test for me. :-: (Do GTEMs do anything CO side? I doubt it, but I thought she deserved it for whatever it was worth.)

So, I am pleased with the KOVA thus far. In light of the Basket Wars issue, though, I am reserving my final judgment until I also taste some KOVA brewed on a PMUA plane, which should be on 3/3. (And I am guessing that there may be a high demand for coffee that day.)

Finally, if anyone is still reading, I am giving away one free pack of KOVA, by random lottery, to any interested FTer who has not yet had occasion to try it, so that you can give it a taste and share your comments! Let me know if you're interested.

Last edited by EsquireFlyer; Feb 27, 2012 at 3:24 pm
Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Great review, CollegeFlyer. Agreed completely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.