Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Onboard Coffee (Fresh Brew Kova) - Reviews, Questions, Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: United 1K
Is the Coffee Getting Better, or am I going nuts?

With the merger, UA was using what some refer to as Fresh Poo (Fresh Brew). At first the coffee pods were not the correct size. But once they fixed this, it was still horrible coffee in the clubs and in the air. (Barf Face)

In an IAH club the other week, I had some coffee and it wasn't bad! Then a week later, I was in the LAX club, and the coffee was horrible. Then on another flight on Friday the coffee was drinkable. But on the return flight, it was undrinkable again.

Are they starting to switch Fresh Poo with something better or am I going nuts?
(I guess I should be writing to 1K Voice)

Last edited by mkrecek; Dec 9, 2012 at 6:22 pm Reason: The coffee was drinkable...not "Great"
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
IME it's still the crap Kova in the air and the crap Accolades on the ground at the legacy PCs...no thanks
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Same crap coffee per usual based on five UA flights and 4 cities in 4 days. Same crap CSA's at gate and lounge dragons at SEA UC this morning. Honestly, if those folks could spew fire on their customers, I think they would. I was flying paid F. I wonder how the Y passengers are treated in SEA.

Didn't we hear the coffee was changing?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Slightly better than the post-merger nastiness served, but still gas station coffee. The decaf is undrinkable so have to bring my own. UA: this stuff just shouldn't be so difficult for you!!!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
I had a good of coffee the other day on EWR-LAS

I agree wholeheartedly with the general observation that the coffee UA had been serving since the end of onboard Starbucks is not worth drinking. I usual don't order it, but the other day I was desperate and got a cup -- it was actually pretty good. So there is another data point that there may be drinkable cup or two out there if you're lucky. I'm hoping that it may become the norm someday.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While the coffee on board now is much better than the swill that originally replaced Starbucks, it is still barely drinkable.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by AlisonS
I may be in the minority, but I LOVE the Kova decaf coffee (instant). It tastes nothing like coffee, but it has kind of a licorice taste and I ADORE it! I just flew from MCO to IAD and a really nice flight attendant gave me a bunch of packets! THANK YOU UNITED!!!
Originally Posted by zitsky
Nice try United Airlines!
Originally Posted by AlisonS
LOL, I am not United!! I keep going online to try to buy this coffee, but I can't find it anywhere. You have to try the instant decaf, it really does taste like licorice! I am drinking a cup now from my stash from the flight attendant. My next UA flight is not until December 6 so I have to make it last! I hope the flight attendants are in a good mood that day so I can beg more packets!
Just Wow. The instant decaf is the most horrid stuff imaginable. Perhaps if you do not like coffee and instead want to drink liquid licorice....

I can't tell you the number of people I have seen send back the decaf as undrinkable. I guess it will make someone at HQ a genius. "See. Nobody drinks decaf, so I was right to stop brewing it."

After dinner drink for me is now a double Baileys on ice. Way to save some money Jeff.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Just Wow. The instant decaf is the most horrid stuff imaginable. Perhaps if you do not like coffee and instead want to drink liquid licorice....
She never said it tasted like coffee; she said it tasted like licorice.

Maybe if customers don't expect it to taste like coffee, it may not be so bad.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:48 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Nope

still undrinkable iad-nrt-bkk 5 dec. been drinking airline coffee for at least 45 years and I know it can be better. real test is if it gets cold then this stuff is really bad. think this is a robusta blend of the cheapest. no brewing temp. will fix this coffee. get some decent colombian on board and it will do the trick.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Even when United served Starbucks (not the best coffee but a good coffee and a much better coffee then what is being served now) they still served it in styrofoam cups and they would serve too old coffee and/or the warmer plates on the brewers might be set too high.

The incremental cost per cup from the crapy stuff they sell and a good coffee is only about 6 cents per cup.

A better brew, no styrofoam cups; stainless steel vacuum pots instead of warmer plates would be a very cost effective improvement that a significant number of flyers would appreciate.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
IAH/SMF and return same day, same plane, same crew on 12/8, the coffee was actually good. I always drink mine black. I learned years ago that cream and sugar make bad coffee taste worse.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

I had it today. Not Bad. Getting closer to PMUA standard.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Anyone have any luck getting an esspreso on 787 flights? I was told no on my 1 787 flight. Also, I'm on a CO 757 international config flying domestic, do those have the espresso makers?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)
Baileys makes even bad coffee taste good
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by poverty.jet.set
Baileys makes even bad coffee taste good
UA coffee would be a horrible thing to do to a Baileys...

Ice would be a better choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.