Booking saver award -use UA or CO?

Old Feb 2, 12, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA
Booking saver award -use UA or CO?

Cant find the answer to this anywhere, although it may have peen posted. I am UA silver, and looking to get a saver award ticket SFO to a european destination. I have discovered through the forum, that inventory of seats is much more obtainable from CO, and have just joined 1-Pass (and thus have no elite status). Can I instantly move miles from UA to CO to buy an award ticket? If I should happen to want a UA seat SFO-FRA that I find on CO's site, can I get an E+ seat booking through CO (which at least for now I am entitled to on UA), or should I go back to UA (presumably via phone) to book the award ticket?
Old Feb 2, 12, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Diogenes1789 View Post
Cant find the answer to this anywhere, although it may have peen posted. I am UA silver, and looking to get a saver award ticket SFO to a european destination. I have discovered through the forum, that inventory of seats is much more obtainable from CO, and have just joined 1-Pass (and thus have no elite status). Can I instantly move miles from UA to CO to buy an award ticket? If I should happen to want a UA seat SFO-FRA that I find on CO's site, can I get an E+ seat booking through CO (which at least for now I am entitled to on UA), or should I go back to UA (presumably via phone) to book the award ticket?
Match your CO and UA accounts, so that you're CO Silver.

You can move miles back and forth instantly.

You can get an E+ seat on CO's site if you match accounts. May have to
wait a few days.
Old Feb 2, 12, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Diogenes1789 View Post
Can I instantly move miles from UA to CO to buy an award ticket?
Yes!

I have another question regarding booking award ticket in onepass.com. I tried :

One Way
Depart San Juan, PR (SJU)
Arrive Beijing, People's Republic of China (PEK - Capital)
Date Mon., Mar. 5, 2012 Time Anytime
Cabin Economy Travelers 1

it had no problem finding lots of routing using $, but returned an error for using miles:

Continental.com could not find any available flights for reward travel meeting your requirements. You may modify your search criteria or contact Continental Reservations in United States at 1-800-300-1547.

Trying other dates is no different. Has anyone experienced this problem before? Is it due to the starting point is outside US?
Old Feb 2, 12, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am assuming something is amiss with partners.

CO can't do awards on certain airlines or routes (Gulf, Cape Air) even though they can sell tickets on them.
Old Feb 2, 12, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
You can get an E+ seat on CO's site if you match accounts. May have to
wait a few days.

The OP is interested in a UA flgiht, so he can pull up the UA record, add the MP number and pick E+ immediately.
Old Feb 2, 12, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa View Post
The OP is interested in a UA flgiht, so he can pull up the UA record, add the MP number and pick E+ immediately.
Yep, good point. Forgot he'll get a UA PNR as well.
Old Feb 2, 12, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
I am assuming something is amiss with partners.

CO can't do awards on certain airlines or routes (Gulf, Cape Air) even though they can sell tickets on them.
Thanks, but that can't be the reason. most the routes are by UA/CO itself, like SJU-IAH-SFO-PEK with flights CO1712-CO1709-UA889, or SJU-IAD-SFO-PEK with flights CO700-CO975-UA889.

Search this Thread