Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Million Milers - Petition the UA Board

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UrbaneGent

I see a potential huge problem with your editing the content. The people who already signed may not agree with your rewrite. I don't know how to handle it but you should probably close signing until there is a final edition posted, contact all who already signed and let them know there are rewrites and let them know they need to sign again when the final rewrite is posted. Wipe out any existing signatures so it can be a fresh start once a final version is posted. You are setting yourself up for misery if someone signed, you change what is posted and they don't agree with the changes and you submit their name or however you are planning to get UA to see the signatures. I know I would be.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nor4
Since this thread is concerned with the petition, do you have any siuggestions for improving it?
Since this thread is concerned with the petition, do you have any siuggestions for improving it?
Definition of echo chamber

Originally Posted by Baze
UrbaneGent

I see a potential huge problem with your editing the content. The people who already signed may not agree with your rewrite. I don't know how to handle it but you should probably close signing until there is a final edition posted, contact all who already signed and let them know there are rewrites and let them know they need to sign again when the final rewrite is posted. Wipe out any existing signatures so it can be a fresh start once a final version is posted. You are setting yourself up for misery if someone signed, you change what is posted and they don't agree with the changes and you submit their name or however you are planning to get UA to see the signatures. I know I would be.
Absolutely. Heck, if you have their email address, email them!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Definition of echo chamber
OR...

Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by Baze
UrbaneGent

Hi the changes were made right at 20 signatures. All of them have been contacted and 15 responded - my secretary is waiting for five. If I don't hear from them by this evening I can delete them.

Also, keep in mind the major changes were done on www.millionmilersunited.com - there is no petition it's an open letter. From there you can go to the petition. Also, I won't post a remedy, I think that's for UA to do.

Those happy with the changes, good for you! Happy you're happy.

This is exactly what I wanted to do, have us collectively write something up and that's what happened.

I think most, not all, will be happy. I can't imagine any stone unturned.

Back to my day job.
UG
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:22 am

OR...

Hehehe. You got me

I'd suggest stating that some flyers prefer the rule changes, to a best future state would be to offer choices - choose upgrades OR spouse benefit. That's really the crux of the changes. Nothing else was ever noted in the rules for MM, contrary to what some have claimed, including:
* Keeping 2nd level in upgrades/tiers
* 100% bonus
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Smile

Hi everyone, it's been silent in here - I set up www.millionmilersunited.com and www.change.org/member/millionmilersunited

I would like to get your support for this because something has to be vocalized instead of just sitting still. What United has done is NOT acceptable.

The only thing I didn't put is the remedy. United rang a bell, and everyone knows you can't unring a bell. Everyone has an idea of what they think should happen, but I want to state that, collectively, we are not happy.

Open to comments and suggestions. I think I have read and re-read everything over and over and have hit every major point.

My personal opinion is to split United's Mileage plus members into two camps: those happy with the program, and continue as is, and those who wish to be uncalibrated and continue on the path they were on. 1MM = the "new" 2MM, 2MM = the "new" 3 MM and 3MM = the "new" 4 MM

The companion status thing is laughable.

UG
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Hi everyone, it's been silent in here - I set up www.millionmilersunited.com and www.change.org/member/millionmilersunited

I would like to get your support for this because something has to be vocalized instead of just sitting still. What United has done is NOT acceptable.

The only thing I didn't put is the remedy. United rang a bell, and everyone knows you can't unring a bell. Everyone has an idea of what they think should happen, but I want to state that, collectively, we are not happy.

Open to comments and suggestions. I think I have read and re-read everything over and over and have hit every major point.

My personal opinion is to split United's Mileage plus members into two camps: those happy with the program, and continue as is, and those who wish to be uncalibrated and continue on the path they were on. 1MM = the "new" 2MM, 2MM = the "new" 3 MM and 3MM = the "new" 4 MM

The companion status thing is laughable.

UG
Is it necessary to cross-post this?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
I honestly still have issues with the letter and petition. I see that some of the content from uastarflyer's letter was incorporated, but the website still has an emotional and accusatory tone. The reason why I like uastarflyer's letter is not simply because it covered the points, but rather because it came across as more objective and focused on the business aspects of the relationship between company and customer. It was also much shorter and concise. Have you considered just using that letter as-is?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Is it necessary to cross-post this?
You are correct, moving to the main thread and will no longer be reading this one. Thanks.

As to the emotional "tone" people who read the letter are not all FlyerTalk Members, it has to have some background. Also, I feel, when a letter comes across as too "legal" it's sounds threatening, it was not my intention (to sound threatening) - it was meant to be a lovingly written letter, which it is.

No one is being attacked, earlier references made to things that happened in the past mentioned here have been taken off, and every single point uastarflyer mentioned can be connected to the petition - if it's too "fluffy" or not your style, I can appreciate your stance.

Something has to be done - our voices have to be heard, if we don't like 100% but, "you know I like 99% thru 80%, so it's okay, at least I'm going to be a part of this" - its up to you as to your threshhold of when you want to support something or not.

Oenophilist I know, by reading your previous posts, you more than most of us actual MMilers had to go through a little more to obtain your status. I really would like your support because if anyone deserves to have their voice heard is yours. If it's not exactly how you like it but enough to tip you over, I would like to have your voice included.

Thank you everyone - I'm moving this to just one thread, the main one about MM status.

Best wishes,
UG

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Feb 2, 2012 at 6:08 pm
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JC1120
Here's where the real problem lies - Flyertalkers don't make up the majority of MPs, and I'm even wondering if a majority of FTers really have an issue with the changes.
A savvy, vocal minority that is representative of long term, high value customers can make an positive impact.

The fact that many customers will not make the effort to inform United of their displeasure and simply take their business elsewhere actually increases our influence.

The preferences of people who will probably never fly a million miles or more are irrelevant to this discussion.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by walkerci
A savvy, vocal minority that is representative of long term, high value customers can make an positive impact.
As long as that minority is not representative of whiny demanding dykwia mileage running cheapskates...
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
To those wanting to petition United...

What is your leverage? Are you going to switch over to another carrier and start from scratch? Seriously. Maybe you can get a "million miler status match". After all, you've proven your worth and are good for it. The "million milers" are probably the group the UA team are least concerned with. These changes really do coincide with the changes at the actual elite levels: 50% bonus for Golds. Even Plats and 1Ks have to technically fly 75K eqms in order to start receiving CR-1s. And 1Ks technically have to fly 100K eqms to start receiving SWUs. The only thing you can argue for IMO is UC memebrship after 2MM. But complaining that since there's a new elite level (Platinum) your Gold level 2MM stautus has been devalued is a little laughable.

And as a reference, AA just changed their qualification rules for qualifying for MM status. And DL has removed the "lifetime" reference and replaced it with "free annual" regarding their MM benefits. The industry trend is not in your favor. Best of luck anyway !
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO
The obvious thing missing from the petition is a request for compensation!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Brasila
That exactly what I plan on doing. Why reward UA when the lie about what they say they are going to do for me?
When UA says "we reserve the right to make changes to the Mileage Plus program" -- of which the Million Miler program is a part of-- how is that lying? Nobody seems to complain when they change the program such as to create a 1K level. Complimentary upgrades. Or CR1s/SWUs. None of which existed in the beginning. It's only when it's a change that upsets some that becomes "United lied to me!"
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Fanjet
When UA says "we reserve the right to make changes to the Mileage Plus program" -- of which the Million Miler program is a part of-- how is that lying? Nobody seems to complain when they change the program such as to create a 1K level. Complimentary upgrades. Or CR1s/SWUs. None of which existed in the beginning. It's only when it's a change that upsets some that becomes "United lied to me!"
I agree. If you want to ask for something to be changed I really think you need to suggest changes that are "free" to UA and are win-win. For example, the return of the RPU would be essentially free because it merely changes who gets an upgrade that UA was going to give anyway. Alternately, suggest that a MM gets priority for upgrades ahead of the same level non-MM. This would mitigate most all the so called tier demotion (which I don't buy into as an argument personally) by splitting the difference for MM with the new 75K tier. Again free for UA and a win-win because it provides some motivation to achieve the MM level for a current high mileage flyer (which is one aspect of the program that UA seems to have mostly lost and which isn't to their advantage). Suggesting changes to the RDM bonus is not free to UA - they clearly have costed the value of the reduced accumulation across the program and are trying to drive a reset in the industry. It's not a MM issue - it is a program issue with real UA cost. It is open whether they will ultimately prevail if DL, AA etc continue with 100% bonuses permanently and they see competitive pressure from that. However, for your purposes it isn't a win-win - it's just a win for you; lose for UA. Try thinking about the problem more along these lines and perhaps you can find some ideas that will actually get UA's attention versus just a blanket "put the old program back" which is highly unlikely to succeed (IMHO).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.