Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advise on trip planning with SWU

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Advise on trip planning with SWU

I am trying to plan a Europe vacation to use up some of my SWU's (6 of mine expire in July). I have found SWU's almost impossible to use (very frustrating). To date I have only been able to use 2, from HNL-->IAH with the wife, where despite waitlisting months in advance we only cleared after taking our coach seats (and after the RCC agent literally moved me up on the visible upgrade list from 3rd to 1st). I have spent probably 8-10 hours over the last few days searching for R inventory to/from Europe on multiple dates/cities with no luck.

While I am flexible here is what I am looking for on a 1 week vacation for 2 people:

From IAH to (in order of preference):
BCN, MAD, LIS, FCO, MUC, possibly others like GVA, FRA, CDG, or even DUB. Ideal would be to do an open jaw with BCN & LIS.

Cost: ~$1200 AI. It seems $700-$900 is possible in coach. The total value I place on an upgrade is a max of around $700 (implies I get $200 of value from a SWU). Basically my wife has said that if she can get an hour massage at the hotel spa every day for a week, she would much rather do that than fly up front.

Dates:
Ideally depart on a Saturday, or Friday evening, returning the following Sunday. Willing to be flexible (extend or shorten vacation by a day or 2). In order of preference (Strong preference for March):
March Last wk (24-Apr 1st)
March (wk before above)
March (wk before above)
April (first wk)
June (first or second wk)

Other considerations:
  • Strongly prefer lie flat (or near flat) to old business class seats (i.e. 767)
  • I am GS/PPlat - CO does not open additional inventory, I have heard that UA does.
  • I am unwilling to pay $400+ per seat (>50% premium) to play the SWU lottery. (I suppose I could decide to just cancel the trip entirely for $150 a seat if they dont clear)
  • I would also consider EZE or Asia, but I dont think I will get the price point I want.
  • If I dont use them here, I will likely use them as Regionals (confirming on a Carribean vacation, etc)

Also is there any benefit to waiting until after 3/3/12 to see if GS rules prevail on opening inventory etc rather than PPlat rules?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.