Wiki Posts
Search

Reward Travel Continental vs United

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; Marriott Gold
Reward Travel Continental vs United

I have been looking at reward travel from IAD to BKK for me and my wife and I have noticed it’s much easier to find a super saver award on continental vs united. From what I can tell continental includes star alliance partners in the search and united does not. Is this a glitch and something that will go away when the merger is complete?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ptrautne
I have been looking at reward travel from IAD to BKK for me and my wife and I have noticed it’s much easier to find a super saver award on continental vs united. From what I can tell continental includes star alliance partners in the search and united does not. Is this a glitch and something that will go away when the merger is complete?
what your observed is correct. Going forward the future United will be using the CO booking tools and it is assumed the expanded award availability will continued.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
what your observed is correct. Going forward the future United will be using the CO booking tools and it is assumed the expanded award availability will continued.
My one complaint about the CO engine is that it doesn't let you easily filter by cabin, so you get a ton of flights that may not match what you are looking for (e.g. looking for F but lots of Y flights showing).
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I so hope that the information is correct, that we will continue to be able to use the CO booking tools. I've given up on trying to book saver awards on UA, but opt for CO and can usually find what I want. I really don't mind looking at all of the options that pop up, even if I might only be looking for first class! UA doesn't begin to come close to this selection on CO.^
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; Marriott Gold
Thats good news that they will adopt the continental search. If it was going the other direction I would book my tickets before the full merger.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I, too, have found the CO award booking tool much easier to use and having much greater saver award availability than UA.

Originally Posted by tods27
My one complaint about the CO engine is that it doesn't let you easily filter by cabin, so you get a ton of flights that may not match what you are looking for (e.g. looking for F but lots of Y flights showing).
But at least CO gives you way more options than UA.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite
Be careful with the CO award tool if looking for a specific cabin. They color code the days with the availability of each class. I have noted several times that the color code up top says only saver coach is available, but while scroling through the list of options it will have saver business or first.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
I've found useful features on both sites that the other is missing and have also found both to be somewhat bug-ridden in different ways. The bottom line is that I often do parallel searches on both sites. Regardless of which site is better, we'll soon lose one of them and I'm not optimistic that the other will get any better soon.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Also, with the CO metal flights, at least domestically, there is the possibility of getting the EUA if you are a Chase card holder but not (for now at least) on UA metal...which is why I steer away from the UA metal flights when I'm flying on miles....as a Silver/2P, I've been EUA'd on 4 out of 5 reward travel flights so far which I think is good.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Also, with the CO metal flights, at least domestically, there is the possibility of getting the EUA if you are a Chase card holder but not (for now at least) on UA metal...which is why I steer away from the UA metal flights when I'm flying on miles....as a Silver/2P, I've been EUA'd on 4 out of 5 reward travel flights so far which I think is good.
That's certainly a compelling reason to book award travel on CO if you have the right card.

Another nice feature on the CO site is that you can cancel/refund an award ticket directly from the site (although you still need to call in to change flights).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.