UA trans-pac crap IFE

Old Jan 29, 12, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO GOLD
UA trans-pac crap IFE

Hi, I flew the following itin in either Z or A in late December, and (half the return route too):

SFO-HNL, HNL-GUM, GUM-MNL. On NONE of these legs was there anything better than a single shared TV showing one single movie choice in the premium cabin. And in a maddening deja vu, the movies on the return flights were exactly the same as the movies on the flight over (cruddy Paul Rudd pothead dreck?).

The line between CO and UA metal has begun to be seriously blurred, and UA has even taken over the CO MIKE flights, apparently. This means that even the more or less useless DirecTV between HNL and the mainland (doesn't work overseas) will be sorely missed, as at least they still had canned movies options on a personal screen, though it wasn't VOD.

THE best IFE I've ever had was on CO's 777 from EWR-HKG, and it made a 14 hour flight in Y some of the best times I have ever had on an airplane. The UA flights in F on my last trip were bar none, the WORST, and I have no idea how UA can justify such crappy IFE on the ultimate long haul flights.

BOOOOO!!!!
Old Jan 29, 12, 11:16 am

You could bring a book or an iPod instead of depending on UA to entertain you. Even with PTVs I find most of loaded content to be crap.
Old Jan 29, 12, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by ILUV767 View Post
You could bring a book or an iPod instead of depending on UA to entertain you. Even with PTVs I find most of loaded content to be crap.
While that's certainly true it's not really on point. UA's IFE does suck.
Old Jan 29, 12, 11:23 am

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
If one travels a lot, I find an iPad incredibly valuable. Every once in a while I'll find a movie or tv show that I really enjoy on a plane, but I always have 2 or 3 movies that I've wanted to see loaded on my iPad before a long trip. Even if you're pretty sure you'll be on a plane with reasonable IFE, the plane could always change. With the amount of money spent on plane tickets, an iPad is a relatively cheap assurance of having some decent entertainment.
Old Jan 29, 12, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ILUV767 View Post
The tablet is definitely the way to go if considering a flight on United, and surely the wave of the future for any frequent traveler, but the disconnect between CO's investment in personal TV's/DirecTV and UA's spartan, total disregard for IFE, even in the premium cabin was an unmistakable slap in the face.

Try the 300+ movies, 60+ TV shows on demand on CO's 777 from EWR-HKG and then get back to us how IFE is "lacking"?
Old Jan 29, 12, 11:42 am

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by jefri68 View Post

Try the 300+ movies, 60+ TV shows on demand on CO's 777 from EWR-HKG and then get back to us how IFE is "lacking"?
Let's hope that Co's entertainment value will roll over to UA aircraft.
Old Jan 29, 12, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K
I would remark that UA's IFE does *not* suck on retrofitted 747s, 777s, and 767s. Every other UA aircraft I agree wholeheartedly.
Old Jan 29, 12, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax View Post
I would remark that UA's IFE does *not* suck on retrofitted 747s, 777s, and 767s. Every other UA aircraft I agree wholeheartedly.
On the contrary, while the "retrofitted" IFE is AVOD and better resolution, the selection is so pathetic it beggars belief. As with equipment, UA is apparently unwilling to pay for content. When I'm on SQ, CX, ET or even BA I'm amazed at the cornucopia of viewing options. I think there's more content on the BMW I just bought than in UA's new first class.

Ergo, UA's IFE sucks, all of it. If I'm flying on an upgrade I'm not particularly bothered, but paying full freight I'm pretty annoyed.
Old Jan 29, 12, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax View Post
I would remark that UA's IFE does *not* suck on retrofitted 747s, 777s, and 767s.
Unless you belong to the vast majority of passengers that travel in economy...
Old Jan 29, 12, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thehoax View Post
Let's hope that Co's entertainment value will roll over to UA aircraft.
And let's hope that the UA graphics, layout, and especially interface win out over CO's
Old Jan 29, 12, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA ex-1K, DL 500,000 lifetime
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Vunder31 View Post
Unless you belong to the vast majority of passengers that travel in economy...
+1
Old Jan 29, 12, 1:54 pm

Programs: nobody

SFO-HNL, HNL-GUM, GUM-MNL.
My question is why pick this route to MNL? Knowing this will be flown by domestic bird and co mike 738 is kind of unfair to compare with any true intl bird.

I would have go to NRT and take NH over or OZ via ICN.
Old Jan 29, 12, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mobilebucky View Post
My question is why pick this route to MNL? Knowing this will be flown by domestic bird and co mike 738 is kind of unfair to compare with any true intl bird.

I would have go to NRT and take NH over or OZ via ICN.
This particular time, I had a CO travel cert that restricted me from flying anybody else's metal. On previous occasions flying this route with CO it was so that I could take advantage of free UDU's from the West Coast to HNL and from GUM to MNL, which are not offered from the West Coast direct to Asia.

I was usually happy with the service when the routes were operated by CO. The food is another thing that has been dumbed down in the front cabin to/from HNL since the merger.
Old Jan 29, 12, 3:14 pm

Programs: nobody
This particular time, I had a CO travel cert that restricted me from flying anybody else's metal. On previous occasions flying this route with CO it was so that I could take advantage of free UDU's from the West Coast to HNL and from GUM to MNL, which are not offered from the West Coast direct to Asia.

I was usually happy with the service when the routes were operated by CO. The food is another thing that has been dumbed down in the front cabin to/from HNL since the merger.
That's make sense. Food is one thing that PMUA are terrible at every level. My recent ORD-NRT in C, i skip the meal service entirely. I rather have a good meal when I arrived at my destination. Some times I do wonder how difficult it is to prepare a decent inflight meal on a $5000 ticket. Just one good meal on each direction would be nice
Old Jan 29, 12, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
I agree the CO IFE contents are better than United's on AVOD.

Search this Thread