Best advice on getting a competent Reward agent?

Old Jan 27, 12, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Best advice on getting a competent Reward agent?

I am curious to know what the best way to get a competent Rewards agent is (other than calling and hanging up if the person helping is worthless). I have had exceptional help, and others that I simply could not waste anymore time with on the phone. I have a semi-complex trip I am planning from EWR and ultimately ending in PPT so would love to get somebody that would make the process smooth and could help me with different variations and possibilities.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 27, 12, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When you call in just ask them if they're any good and up for the challenge of building an incredibly complex, multi-segment award. If they say no, hang up and call back.

Seriously though, it is a gamble every time you pick up the phone and get int he queue. You just never know what's going to happen at the other end of the phone.
Old Jan 27, 12, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
The Honolulu call center tends to be the most competent and friendliest, and you're more likely to reach them in the evening mainland time, but there are no guarantees of doing so. Also, I'm not sure if it serves general members or just UA elites, and I don't know what your status is.

Awardnexus.com is a good service for finding award travel availability that you can then tell the customer service rep about. Given that UA sometimes blocks availability of awards on partner airlines (or at least I think it still does), what you see at that site isn't guaranteed to be available via UA awards, but it's worth trying. I think awardnexus is free for limited use by FT members.

Finally, I believe I've read here that going through CO reservations is much better than through UA, but haven't tried that myself.

Good luck!
Old Jan 27, 12, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
When you call in just ask them if they're any good and up for the challenge of building an incredibly complex, multi-segment award. If they say no, hang up and call back.

Seriously though, it is a gamble every time you pick up the phone and get int he queue. You just never know what's going to happen at the other end of the phone.
Thanks for the reply. Was hoping there was so secret way to get the extension of the really good people haha. Already had one failure today after being on hold for 30 minutes so guess I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks Thunderroad! I will try that out tomorrow and cross my fingers. It really is a crap shoot as I have gotten people before that really go out of their way to help me and have spent a lot of time...to others that were confused about why I wanted to just "inquire" about what was available and not book right away.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 27, 12 at 9:58 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 27, 12, 6:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
The Honolulu call center tends to be the most competent and friendliest, ...
but you normally need to be a 1K/GS to get the Honolulu call center

Search this Thread