Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading with Miles... what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Upgrading with Miles... what do I need?

I'm looking at a trip to BKK in about 6 weeks. I'd like to buy Y and upgrade to C with miles - which is basically the only thing I use miles for (international upgrades to C)

Last year when flying to India I didn't have much trouble finding availability. This year, there doesn't appear to be anything. I'm currently CO Plat, matched to UA Gold.

What fare bucket do mileage upgrades come out of? Is wait listing possible/effective?

Is there any better way to find fares than through CO's website? (Maybe Expertflyer?)

Am I stupid to think airline miles still have any real value?

The B fares that used to be $1,500 on this route a couple years ago that are now $5k appear to really kill the value of mileage upgrades.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by raehl311
I'm looking at a trip to BKK in about 6 weeks. I'd like to buy Y and upgrade to C with miles - which is basically the only thing I use miles for (international upgrades to C)

Last year when flying to India I didn't have much trouble finding availability. This year, there doesn't appear to be anything. I'm currently CO Plat, matched to UA Gold.

What fare bucket do mileage upgrades come out of? Is wait listing possible/effective?

Is there any better way to find fares than through CO's website? (Maybe Expertflyer?)

Am I stupid to think airline miles still have any real value?

The B fares that used to be $1,500 on this route a couple years ago that are now $5k appear to really kill the value of mileage upgrades.
You can buy sub-B fares and still do mileage upgrades. Yes, there are associated copays, but you get your money back if the upgrade doesn't clear. That's better than overpaying for a B fare and not clearing.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Is there a way to waitlist online, or do you have to call in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.