Standby for a later flight on an award ticket

Old Jan 25, 12, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Standby for a later flight on an award ticket

hopefully this is the right forum for this. i'm curious about my standby options on an award ticket from ord-yvr in may. i waffled earlier this month and the only available outbound left at the lowest mileage tier was in the middle of the day, which i will likely miss. is there something similar to delta's "same day confirmed" program which will allow me to get on the later flight after missing the first?
TIA guys
Old Jan 25, 12, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Madinat View Post
hopefully this is the right forum for this. i'm curious about my standby options on an award ticket from ord-yvr in may. i waffled earlier this month and the only available outbound left at the lowest mileage tier was in the middle of the day, which i will likely miss. is there something similar to delta's "same day confirmed" program which will allow me to get on the later flight after missing the first?
TIA guys
Yes the standby rules are the same for award as for paid tix. There will be a standby/confirmed change fee if you're not an elite. FYI, you should call reservations and waitlist now for the flight you want. If award space opens up you'll be automatically confirmed. There are some situations when waitlisting isn't possible depending on how the ticket was booked, through which carrier, code shares, etc.. but it's worth a call.
Old Jan 25, 12, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR View Post
Yes the standby rules are the same for award as for paid tix. There will be a standby/confirmed change fee if you're not an elite. FYI, you should call reservations and waitlist now for the flight you want. If award space opens up you'll be automatically confirmed. There are some situations when waitlisting isn't possible depending on how the ticket was booked, through which carrier, code shares, etc.. but it's worth a call.
thank you so much for your reply! i had NO idea i could waitlist prior to check-in!
Old Jan 25, 12, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Madinat View Post
thank you so much for your reply! i had NO idea i could waitlist prior to check-in!
The waitlist won't carry over to the airport standby list so you'd have to still standby/confirm the change on the day of the flight if you don't get confirmed before then, but it gives you an opportunity to clear in advance. As I said though there are exceptions.. if you booked this using miles from another carrier you won't be able to waitlist.
Old Jan 25, 12, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

The waitlist won't carry over to the airport standby list so you'd have to still standby/confirm the change on the day of the flight if you don't get confirmed before then, but it gives you an opportunity to clear in advance. As I said though there are exceptions.. if you booked this using miles from another carrier you won't be able to waitlist.
i used my continental miles, and called first continental then united. united was able to add me, so fingers crossed this works out! both CSR were among the most pleasant i have ever spoken to, btw. the one from continental sounded like sofia vergara, lol!
Old Jan 25, 12, 11:15 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
I booked a reward ticket many months ago using my CO points on NH flights... But instead of "standby for a later flight" if I want to take an earlier flight (or maybe even a day before)

What's the rule? And typically how much change fee I am looking at? Thanks
Old Jan 26, 12, 1:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
If your flight is in NH then the continental SDC policy does not apply. You won't be able to change it, unless you waitlist to a continental flight.
Old Jan 26, 12, 6:02 am

The waitlist won't carry over to the airport standby list so you'd have to still standby/confirm the change on the day of the flight if you don't get confirmed before then....
I'm confused. UA Same Day Change policy says that the Standard ticket change fees apply to SDC that depart "later than your originally scheduled flight" Also, *Unconfirmed* Same Day standby **must depart earlier than your originally scheduled flight.**

So is it really possible to confirm to a later flight without having to pay hefty ticket-change fees ?

Last edited by shdflyer; Jan 26, 12 at 6:30 am
Old Jan 26, 12, 8:25 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by 1KHI View Post
If your flight is in NH then the continental SDC policy does not apply. You won't be able to change it, unless you waitlist to a continental flight.
or should I contact NH office and ask there?
Old Jan 28, 12, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I'm flying on a CO J award ticket SIN-NRT-ORD-EWR, with the whole route on UA metal (and SIN-ORD is the same flight #.) CO's NRT-EWR J cabin has more than 20 seats available for sale...but it leaves after the NRT-ORD flight does. Could I "standby to a later flight" to get on the NRT-EWR nonstop or is it not possible to do this on a reward ticket across different metal?
Old Jan 29, 12, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
I'm flying on a CO J award ticket SIN-NRT-ORD-EWR, with the whole route on UA metal (and SIN-ORD is the same flight #.) CO's NRT-EWR J cabin has more than 20 seats available for sale...but it leaves after the NRT-ORD flight does. Could I "standby to a later flight" to get on the NRT-EWR nonstop or is it not possible to do this on a reward ticket across different metal?
Since this is a reward ticket, You can waitlist NOW. But it will expire within 24hrs if it does not clear.

No you cannot standby. However, You can do a same day change within 24 hrs of NRT-EWR if the same fare class of your reward opens up.

Airport agents should be able to help to check on whether the same fare class is open or try calling within 24 hrs of NRT-EWR.
Old Jan 29, 12, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
As things stand today, for a UA metal flight :
* You CAN waitlist NOW for the later flight. If any seats become available on the alternate flight they will be automatically reserved for you, and UA will call to confirm that you still want them and will confirm you on the later flight

* You can NOT standby for a later flight on the day of flight. Standby is for earlier flights only (for the fairly obvious reason that if you standby for a later flights, and don't make it on, then you can't fly on your original flight!)

* You can NOT use do a confirmed same-day-change to a later flight. Partially this is because the later flight is probably more than 3 hours after your original flight so you end up in the same situation as standby, but it's mainly because the rules specifically disallowed it.

* You CAN use the "flat tire" rule, which is where you turn up at the airport after your original flight, and United will do their best to put you on a later flight. However, you must arrive at the airport within 2 hours of your original flight departing, and most importantly, there's zero guarantee that you'll get a seat at all. If the later flights are full, you're out of luck and lose the value of your ticket!

The same day change part is a little different for Continental operated flights. What is still unknown is what will happen to SDC post March 3. It's possible that you'll be able to do a SDC within 24 hours, including to a later flights. And it's possible you won't be able it. We'll all know more in just over a month...

Search this Thread