Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hate to say it, but US Airways CS is miles above UA/CO

Old Jan 25, 12, 9:42 am
Original Poster

I'm flying US for the first time- i'm using gold *A to get my bags for free, and using my AMEX Plat for the lounge access. Upon check in, i'm greeted very nicely, and even though i'm not on their program they treat me like gold. On UA/CO they pretty much seem to hate me. The agent then realizes that the second leg of my trip leaves me stuck in the middle- and tries to help, but cannot. She then said just to ask the gate at my first stop to change it and they should.

I then proceed to the lounge, where the lady sitting there checks me in, and then proceeds to look at my itin and saw the middle seat. without prompting she tells me she's going to hang on to my second boarding pass to try and get me a better seat. she walks into the club about 10 mins later with a bulkhead!

If only US Air flew more international routes, i'd convert right away. Not sure why i never really flew them previously, but i'll look to them for my more domestic flights- customer service is something United lacked, and it seems the culture of UA is taking over CO's semi decent CS.
Old Jan 25, 12, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Splat, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Explodist, IHG Splat
Well, sure, even on US I suppose it's possible to have a good day. I sure haven't.

PHL is a terrible airport.
Old Jan 25, 12, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
My experience is the exact opposite.

I wonder if your lounge access made the difference? UA elites barely get the * Gold treatment with US but priority seating is a thing of the past. YMMV but the rule says you aren't supposed to.
Old Jan 25, 12, 10:43 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I think it's hit or miss on both UACO & US. I have received exceptional & bad service on both. However, while multiple occasions don't necessarily make a trend, it does appear that UACO has been going downhill while US has been going the other direction, IME.

LAX
Old Jan 25, 12, 11:08 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by LAX View Post
I think it's hit or miss on both UACO & US.
I think it's hit or miss for all the big US carriers.
Old Jan 25, 12, 11:10 am

It's hit or miss for any airline. Period. They'll never be able to satisfy 100% of people all the time.
Old Jan 25, 12, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Gold; HH Silver; National Exec; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
My experience on US somewhat agrees with the OP. Over the course of 8 weeks late last year (2011), I flew 16 (SIXTEEN) transcons on US, roughly half with connections in PHL, half in CLT. With the exception of the general surly attitude of employees in PHL (and the annoying shuttle bus from E to the B/C gates), the customer service interactions have been pleasant, they’ve been nice in making seat changes and trying to keep an empty middle next to me, Zone 1 boarding, efficient overall boarding, and courteous flight and cabin crews.

Of course, the downsides are also there—no E+, no IFE at all (but I like having inflight wi-fi!), the credit card sales pitches, etc. – but customer service has been good.

In fact, on a few of the transcon sectors, I was upgraded to FC based on being a *G, but my understanding is that that was in contradiction to the rules, and was done out of courtesy by the checkin staff at my (small) departing airport.
Old Jan 25, 12, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, COdbaUA 1K, Hyatt Plt, Hilton GLD, SPG Plat50, Marriott Gld, Hertz PC, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart View Post
Of course, the downsides are also there—no E+, no IFE at all (but I like having inflight wi-fi!), the credit card sales pitches, etc. – but customer service has been good.

In fact, on a few of the transcon sectors, I was upgraded to FC based on being a *G, but my understanding is that that was in contradiction to the rules, and was done out of courtesy by the checkin staff at my (small) departing airport.
Having just flown my first two US segments today (LGA-CLT-DFW), I'm not especially inclined to return. Listening to the credit card pitches and seeing the dramamine ads on my tray table made me ask: "Is this what it takes to run a profitable airline?" given the occasional speculation of US acquiring AA (oh what a disaster that would be ) UA certainly doesn't seem to need to.

In the past year, I've had maybe 1 or 2 surly UA CSRs. It happens. If I flew 100k miles on US, I'm sure I'd encounter one or two over there.

As far as IFE goes, I'm glad there's wifi, but I tend to fly on UA/AA JFK-LAX/SFO flights which do have wifi. Other folks on FT seem much more concerned about having their DirecTV than wifi.
Old Jan 25, 12, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
I recently flew 3 segments on US and 1 on UA. It was a last minute reservation. I did not select any seats as the ones available was all the way in the back. As a *Gold I was automatically assigned seats in the front section of the coach cabin. Eventhough seats were not economy+ they were very comfortable. In fact it was better than the UA economy+.

Service on all 3 segments were a little better than UA.
Old Jan 25, 12, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Being a 1K may color things a bit for me, but I've very rarely had poor CS on UA. While I have had poor CS on CO, I frankly haven't flown them often enough to form much of a judgment one way or the other.

US is the opposite IME, though again to be fair, I haven't flown them much the past couple of years (largely due to the loss of 500 mile minimums when crediting to UA).
Old Jan 25, 12, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA1P/SPG
i've definitely had some crappy experiences with both airlines. Gotta say i have still enjoyed my experiences on United more.

With United, i feel like there is always someone that i can escalate to that will answer my question or make me feel valued.
Old Jan 25, 12, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK View Post
Listening to the credit card pitches and seeing the dramamine ads on my tray table made me ask: "Is this what it takes to run a profitable airline?"
I am always puzzled by this complaint. These advertisements are so haunting that you really can't just block them out?
Old Jan 25, 12, 3:34 pm

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
I must say that US has been consistently good to me as *G. Their in-flight service may be unremarkable (but that in itself excludes remarkably poor). However, they've been consistently good to me on the ground. This includes a complimentary (not operational) upgrade, and superb lounge attendants. What impressed me the most was on the occasion when I had a bizarre (but extremely cheap) itinerary LGW-PHL-DCA (overnight)-FLL-EYW and PHL-DCA (the last one that evening) was cancelled. The next morning, the angel in the domestic lounge at PHL (after a lot of time spent on the phone) managed to get another angel in luggage to retrieve my bag and have it rerouted on the same flights as me during my brief trip to EYW instead of going on the next flight to DCA. I was impressed, grateful, and very touched.
Old Jan 25, 12, 6:30 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Hate to say it, but when a UA agent at LGA flat out lied to me when I took a VDB and told me I was *CONFIRMED* on a US flight and I went to US and they told me I was standby (and the flight was full), they went MILES out of their way to put me on the next flight out in FC AND gave me IDB CASH on top of my UA VDB credit!

All in all on a day when I was sour on UA, US really came through.
Old Jan 25, 12, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, WN A-List, MR Platinum, HH Silver, National EE
FWIW, I flew US for the first time in almost 14 years today and was pleasantly surprised. * G might have been the difference but I was treated nicely by everyone, and the US Club at CLT was great!

US can't be my primary choice of airlines due to location, but my experience so far has made them a worthy alternative.

Search this Thread