Fare Basis for UG at Ticketing

Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Fare Basis for UG at Ticketing

Need some help.

Does anyone know what the fare basis is for upgrades offered at ticketing for international flights.

Specifically, I'm trying to figure out if on a paid upgrade at ticketing a) you get the bonus EQM, and b) can you then apply a SWU and UG into F.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Can anybody help with this?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The question is a bit confusing. What type of upgrade are you purchasing at ticketing?

If you are depending on the elite Y/B/M-Up benefit then would be on a Y/B/M class fare. If you are using miles or an instrument then the fare basis could vary.

But the easy answer is that you get miles based on the original fare purchased, not based on the upgrade.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by 5khours
Need some help.

Does anyone know what the fare basis is for upgrades offered at ticketing for international flights.

Specifically, I'm trying to figure out if on a paid upgrade at ticketing a) you get the bonus EQM, and b) can you then apply a SWU and UG into F.
I believe that you get kicked up to a true business-class fare bucket, get the EQM bonus, AND could upgrade to F from C via an SWU. I have had all this happen on domestic flights (got the bonus EQMs and was upgraded to F from C on a three-class 777, which could not have happened had I CPUd into the C seat).

I'm sure someone will answer definitively regarding international flights shortly...
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I'm interested in 3 class international flight. If anyone has definitive info it would be very helpful. I'm talking about the cash upgrades that are offered as a travel option at the time of booking (or sometimes later but before check-in).

Last year, there were quite a few Y to F cash upgrades offered that booked into A and provided bonus EQM for COS. I just don't know what the deal is on the UG being offered now. $999 for a OW TPAC into C is pretty steep, but if you got bonus EQM and could use an SWU to UG into F, it would be an OK deal.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for the info. I'm interested in 3 class international flight....I'm talking about the cash upgrades that are offered as a travel option at the time of booking (or sometimes later but before check-in).
These credit based on the original fare, not the upgraded one IME.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: nobody
Need some help.

I have done the SIN-HKG buy up offer last Sept (the last hurrah's on 896), it change my booking class to Z. Everything else in V (part of ORD-HKG-SIN-HKG (stoppover) -ORD. I get the bonus miles on that segment, but as it was Z I can't upgrade to F with SWU, I even asked at the gate (still have 4 SWU goes to the bin in a week).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.