Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

per UA Insider: 3MM = 6 GPUs + 2 RPUs @ start of 2015; 2MM = 2 RPUs @ start of 2015*

per UA Insider: 3MM = 6 GPUs + 2 RPUs @ start of 2015; 2MM = 2 RPUs @ start of 2015*

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 5, 13, 10:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: J.Edward
Wiki Link
UA Insider has confirmed the 6 annual GPUs are part of the 3MM program (and the 2 annual RPUs as part of the 2MM program) in the following posts:
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
All 3 Million Milers in the new program will indeed receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of the year, unless they were already earned by flying 100K PQM/120 PQS. Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs each year, unless already earned by flying 75K PQM/90 PQS.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights and Metrics
United Airlines
Hi SFO_FT, just to confirm, the information that was shared back in September is correct. Specifically, 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of each year unless they were already earned by reaching the 100K PQM threshold. Similarly, 2 Million Miles will receive 2 RPUs each year, unless already earned by reaching the 75K PQM threshold. (I should add the disclaimer that when I say each year, this could change in future years.)

As can happen at times, this is one area where we answered the direct question here on FlyerTalk which included details that have not yet been explicitly called out in reference materials used by my front line colleagues. Understandably, this is not optimal. We try to do a very good job of coordinating to make sure everyone has the same information. But, given the extraordinary number of policy, process and program changes that are taking place, these specific benefits have not yet been a focused area of concentration. We are taking steps to make sure this information is clear and available and apologize for any confusion.

Separately, we're definitely committed to paying close attention to the conversations here on FlyerTalk. If we do share information here that is not correct, well always quickly respond with an update. To be safe, I should probably add another disclaimer. Once a post becomes too old (say 18 months or so) wed likely not update it. So, if you run across anything weve posted from years back, its always good to revive it to see if anything has changed.

As always, thank you for the feedback!

Shannon
Hi everyone,

Given that there are some questions out there, I wanted to provide some clarification on this topic. All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria. Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
(emphasis added)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 25, 12, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by weero View Post

Wait for UA's reading on that one.
Are you confused, really?

Or just being confrontational?

In light of the UA Insider response, I think it's a closed matter. Until 2013 anyways.
Old Jan 25, 12, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
In light of the UA Insider response, I think it's a closed matter. Until 2013 anyways.
Exactly (bolded emphasis mine) - it's why I'm going to shoot for MM this year (and they diversify my flying afterwards going forward), who knows what will happen to the program next year. At some point, I can see Lifetime Gold being detached from Star Gold.

This is the downside of what happens when you break promises to constituents - you eliminate the incentive to hit goals that may take 10+ years. Pennywise, pound foolish.
Old Jan 25, 12, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
..Until 2013 anyways.
That is the only issue that matters. 2012, I will still fly the 1K requirement but beyond 2015, I'd like to be more flexible.

Do you not see the conflict between 'perpetual' and '2013' ???
Old Jan 25, 12, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, SPG GLD, HH Diam
Originally Posted by SFO_FT View Post
Have been assessing whether to pursue 3MM level (am at 2.6MM) actively. Have heard conflicting info on whether 3MM receive 6 annual GPUs as a lifetime benefit. UA Insider mentioned that yes, regardless of how many miles are flown in the prior calendar year, 3MM level lifetime members will receive at least 6 GPUs each year going forward. I just received an e-mail from UA corporate telling me that, no, they aren't. During 2012, 3MM customers will receive (at least) 6 GPUs regardless of 2011 flying, but this isn't a lifetime benefit. It's for 2012.

More disappointing news from UA. I won't be pushing hard to get 3MM.

Mods: Please keep this as a separate thread. The other MM benefits thread is too long and, more importantly, is now focused on UA's change on pre-2012 annual CR1s. The 3MM GPUs issue does, I believe, warrant a separate thread.
[Moderator Edit]
UA Insider has confirmed the 6 annual GPUs are part of the 3MM program (and the 2 annual RPUs as part of the 2MM program) in her post:
How do we reconcile the conflicting information provided by UA in this regard?
Old Jan 25, 12, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, SPG Plat
My money's on Shannon.
Old Jan 25, 12, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
This is the downside of what happens when you break promises to constituents - you eliminate the incentive to hit goals that may take 10+ years. Pennywise, pound foolish.
Well said. To date, UA has made no effort to protect benefits that were promised to MM flyers "for life." So long as this is the case, the question as to whether UA Insider's choice of words was meant to convey every year or just this year is moot.

Once a company starts breaking promises to its customers, a promise for "every year" becomes indistinguishable from a promise for "this year." If you can't count on a promise being kept beyond the current year, it's no different than a promise made for only one year. They amount to exactly the same thing.
Old Jan 26, 12, 8:51 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi SFO_FT, just to confirm, the information that was shared back in September is correct. Specifically, 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of each year unless they were already earned by reaching the 100K PQM threshold. Similarly, 2 Million Miles will receive 2 RPUs each year, unless already earned by reaching the 75K PQM threshold. (I should add the disclaimer that when I say each year, this could change in future years.)

As can happen at times, this is one area where we answered the direct question here on FlyerTalk which included details that have not yet been explicitly called out in reference materials used by my front line colleagues. Understandably, this is not optimal. We try to do a very good job of coordinating to make sure everyone has the same information. But, given the extraordinary number of policy, process and program changes that are taking place, these specific benefits have not yet been a focused area of concentration. We are taking steps to make sure this information is clear and available and apologize for any confusion.

Separately, we're definitely committed to paying close attention to the conversations here on FlyerTalk. If we do share information here that is not correct, we’ll always quickly respond with an update. To be safe, I should probably add another disclaimer. Once a post becomes too old (say 18 months or so) we’d likely not update it. So, if you run across anything we’ve posted from years back, it’s always good to revive it to see if anything has changed.

Shannon

Last edited by UA Insider; Jan 26, 12 at 9:22 am Reason: changed to 2 RPUs
Old Jan 26, 12, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Hi SFO_FT, just to confirm, the information that was shared back in September is correct. Specifically, 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of each year unless they were already earned by reaching the 100K PQM threshold. Similarly, 2 Million Miles will receive 3 RPUs each year, unless already earned by reaching the 75K PQM threshold. (I should add the disclaimer that when I say each year, this could change in future years.)

Separately, we're definitely committed to paying close attention to the conversations here on FlyerTalk. If we do share information here that is not correct, well always quickly respond with an update. To be safe, I should probably add another disclaimer. Once a post becomes too old (say 18 months or so) wed likely not update it. So, if you run across anything weve posted from years back, its always good to revive it to see if anything has changed.

Shannon
Thanks for the confirmation. Just wondering, that's 2 or 3 anual RPUs?

That's quite annoying for that to be a disclaimer, because then anything can be "annual until further change." What's stopping people who bought lifetime PC membership from it being "you have lifetime membership, but that could change in a few years."
Old Jan 26, 12, 9:32 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
Thanks for the confirmation. Just wondering, that's 2 or 3 anual RPUs?

That's quite annoying for that to be a disclaimer, because then anything can be "annual until further change." What's stopping people who bought lifetime PC membership from it being "you have lifetime membership, but that could change in a few years."
Hi joshwex90, it's 2! Thanks for catching that. I've updated the post.

Shannon
Old Jan 26, 12, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, SPG Plat
That's quite annoying for that to be a disclaimer, because then anything can be "annual until further change."
This is true of the entire program, no?

Airlines are constantly making changes, which is their right, and even if the current people in charge said "we will never change this" the people down the line could change that.

I assume you're not suggesting they enter into a legally binding agreement to never change a certain aspect of the MP program? That hardly seems reasonable.

The best they can do is say what has already been said, which is that there are no plans to change it now or in the foreseeable future. The time period that is 'foreseeable' is not infinite however.
Old Jan 26, 12, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Hi joshwex90, it's 2! Thanks for catching that. I've updated the post.

Shannon
Hi Shannon,

I just wanted to tell you that it is AMAZINGLY refreshing to see the commitment you have to FT. I did a 1K challenge to UA from Delta where I was a Diamond and to be honest the biggest issue I had with DL was the lack of transparency relative program changes and the disappearing Social Media reps whenever there was a question/issue. I am not sure folks who have been on the UA board for a long time know just how rare your interaction is. I just want to personally thank you and encourage UA to continue to follow FlyerTalk. You are an enormous asset to the board.

AvidFlyer-
Old Jan 26, 12, 10:16 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SADDE6 View Post
Well said. To date, UA has made no effort to protect benefits that were promised to MM flyers "for life." So long as this is the case, the question as to whether UA Insider's choice of words was meant to convey every year or just this year is moot...
UA Insider is of course not to blame when management changes the course without consideration to previous promises.

The annual CR1s/RPUs for 1MMs are only the first roadkill on that ride.

Another one is e.g. the extensibility of one SWU at the end of January. Where the same 1KVoice wrote that "the extension at the end of every year is a 1K benefit" to the more recent "this policy does not longer exit".
Given that 2011 was a year, I'd say it falls under "every year".

But nothing's safe and sacred chez UACO these days.
Old Jan 26, 12, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, SPG GLD, HH Diam
Thanks for the confirmation and clarification Shannon on the lifetime benefits provided after passing 2MM and 3MM.
Old Jan 26, 12, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
Hi Shannon,

I just wanted to tell you that it is AMAZINGLY refreshing to see the commitment you have to FT. I did a 1K challenge to UA from Delta where I was a Diamond and to be honest the biggest issue I had with DL was the lack of transparency relative program changes and the disappearing Social Media reps whenever there was a question/issue. I am not sure folks who have been on the UA board for a long time know just how rare your interaction is. I just want to personally thank you and encourage UA to continue to follow FlyerTalk. You are an enormous asset to the board.

AvidFlyer-
Bolding mine That makes it sound as though UA Insider rarely interacts here
Being quite active on the LY board, and on-again-off-again by by BA, I definitely see the difference. I've also seen the DL rep's posts on the DL board, and it's simply different worlds. With all the argument over PMCO versus PMUA and which one brought better changes, this has to be a good change for PMUA and a staus quo for PMCO - the benefit of formerly CO Insider now UA Insider. Scott/Shannon give detailed posts, and do monitor threads, answer questions, and are accessible via PM, and make sure we know the truth, and in advance. They are definite assets! I completely recognize their value, and am quite appreciative!
Old Jan 26, 12, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Bolding mine That makes it sound as though UA Insider rarely interacts here
Being quite active on the LY board, and on-again-off-again by by BA, I definitely see the difference. I've also seen the DL rep's posts on the DL board, and it's simply different worlds. With all the argument over PMCO versus PMUA and which one brought better changes, this has to be a good change for PMUA and a staus quo for PMCO - the benefit of formerly CO Insider now UA Insider. Scott/Shannon give detailed posts, and do monitor threads, answer questions, and are accessible via PM, and make sure we know the truth, and in advance. They are definite assets! I completely recognize their value, and am quite appreciative!
Good catch. What I MEANT to say was how rare it is on OTHER AIRLINE forums to have the level of interaction we get from UA Insider. Thank you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: