Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Travel to Australia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA-Premier Silver, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat.
Award Travel to Australia

Hello, need advice/help figuring out how to get to Australia for Thanksgiving 2012. From US seems next to impossible. However, originating from Europe/Asia is very doable in F. Question are stopovers allowed on same award to break up the flights? Any suggestions for availability from US? I know Australia awards are the most challenging, so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
you can have one stopover.

There are quite a few awards on Asiana in business for November from the USA. Pretty much every day from JFK, SFO or LAX.

There also may be Air China in a mix of first/business.

You can always change to the United flight if it becomes available later for free (although I dont know why you would)

You can also route via pretty much anywhere in Asia. If you do a multicity search USA-HKG/ICN/NRT/SIN-SYD, you will see a lot more options, daily availability for November - I dont know why you were under the impression Australia is a hard award..... You can even fit in a nice stopover in any Asian city.

As an example do a multicity award
NYC-NRT Nov.26
NRT-SYD Nov.28

you will see dozens of options in business and first on UA/TG. There is even OZ first!!!

Last edited by rankourabu; Jan 18, 2012 at 6:19 pm
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA-Premier Silver, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
you can have one stopover.

There are quite a few awards on Asiana in business for November from the USA. Pretty much every day from JFK, SFO or LAX.

There also may be Air China in a mix of first/business.

You can always change to the United flight if it becomes available later for free (although I dont know why you would)

You can also route via pretty much anywhere in Asia. If you do a multicity search USA-HKG/ICN/NRT/SIN-SYD, you will see a lot more options, daily availability for November - I dont know why you were under the impression Australia is a hard award..... You can even fit in a nice stopover in any Asian city.

As an example do a multicity award
NYC-NRT Nov.26
NRT-SYD Nov.28

you will see dozens of options in business and first on UA/TG. There is even OZ first!!!
Where are you doing your search? I am on CO site and can not do multi city search as you suggested. What am I doing wrong? Thanks a bunch!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orli-flier
Where are you doing your search? I am on CO site and can not do multi city search as you suggested. What am I doing wrong? Thanks a bunch!
You need to make sure that the USA-Asia arrival leg and Asia-Australia departure are within 24 hours of each other if only searching those two legs.

Use the NRT example above, it prices out to 67500 in the end one way in business.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Lots of availability from the U.S. hubs to Asia & Australia. You may not be getting award availability on the U.S. domestic leg if you're not starting in a hub and finding much.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: united
I'm also a newbie and would like to know how to do this.
I've tried United site with the multi-city box checked but it could not find any flight (even when I put in the same route that I took a year ago!).

Also, is it possible to have a couple days layover en-route?

Thanks!
David
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:46 pm

My advice? Hire Lucky (Ben). He will take the hassle out of finding the most effective way to use your miles to book travel...

A recent blog post of his:

"Tips for Booking Award Tickets to Australia and New Zealand "

http://travelsort.com/blog/tips-for-...nd-new-zealand

Last edited by LarkSFO; Jan 19, 2012 at 10:03 pm
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:03 pm

Think about booking a standard award for the dates you want and, between now and then, be diligent in checking the website consistently (particularly shortly before departure date) and it is likely some Saver inventory will open up.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA840
Think about booking a standard award for the dates you want and, between now and then, be diligent in checking the website consistently (particularly shortly before departure date) and it is likely some Saver inventory will open up.

BLASPHEMY!!!!

Book a saver via Asia, and if a saver nonstop opens up - change to it..

NEVER EVER book a standard award.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:12 am

New to UA awards

I checked availability from AUS to US later in the year that is coming up as available for 240,000 return on the united.com

If I transfer the miles from a credit card, will that be available to me (no status brand new account)?

Thank for your help.
L
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lachster
I checked availability from AUS to US later in the year that is coming up as available for 240,000 return on the united.com

If I transfer the miles from a credit card, will that be available to me (no status brand new account)?

Thank for your help.
L
as already mentioned, forget united.com, it is beyond useless, and soon to be extinct. Search on continental.com, you ll be surprised what comes up.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: UA1K 1MM
Timing is critical

The first mate and I are booked to SYD from eastern U.S.A. on UA metal for departure early November 2012 and return just before Thanksgiving. This is our sixth time to Oz.

My experience (UA metal) is that:

1) Very early booking is critical. If you want saver first (XF) or economy to business upgrade (NC) space by far the best time to get it is at or near the 330 day booking window. Business to first upgrade space (NF) is usually available every day.

2) Day of the week makes a difference. A Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday usually has both XF and NC space when each travel date first reaches the 330 day window. Thursdays and Sundays have less availability but often NC2. Fridays and Saturdays often have no award space at all except maybe NF. If you think about day of the week departure / arrival pairs then you can see why this happens.

Mondays and Wednesdays are usually XF1 or XF2 and NC2 or NC4 when the date becomes available. Tuesdays are often XF2 and NC4. That's what our Tuesday departure was when it first appeared. Our Wednesday return was XF 1 and NC4.

I have very rarely seen XC (saver business) space show available. Twice in the last six months I have seen XC9 and confirmed its availability with a UA rep. I believe that when it appears that it is by mistake as it usually disappears within a few days. Unfortunately the days it was available were nowhere near our travel dates.

3) Saver awards and NC space disappear fast. All XF and NC on our departure dates disappeared within three weeks. As of yesterday our return had XF0 and NC1 available.

If you cannot book that early then you will have to book coach and hope to spot an available XF or NC seat by haunting the website. Or try for a partner award.

Good luck

CB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.