Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA follow: AA to start serving free beer/wine in Y on International flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA follow: AA to start serving free beer/wine in Y on International flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:32 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Well they give them food now, meals even on a late night departure so why not the wine but EWR-HNL 11 hours you get nothing but a soda or coffee.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: MYOB
Bummer

Originally Posted by TomA
And I liked those Mojitos, too. And it was only thing I could use my drink chits for... After they discontinued them I ended up with a lot of unused chits.
I guess you could say...."what a bunch of CHIT"
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
You have details of their planned E+? (I wonder if they go true lie-flat in C as well)
No details yet about the planned E+ but AA did say that the 777-300s would feature fully flat, direct-aisle-access-from-every-seat biz class plus fully flat First Class (updated versions of the current suites) and some extra-legroom seats in the forward part of the coach cabin:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...obileUAFlag=AA

http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3401

There's some speculation that the fully flat J seat will be installed on the 777-200s as well.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Same here! Went to burn a ton of coupons only to find out they discontinued specialty drinks. Now what do I do with my coupons?! Anyone want them? I'll trade 500 for a SWU
Ebay...
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:15 pm

To address Channa's earlier question re why UAL gives up free booze on TPACs I think the answer is two fold: 1) The service gaps between some of the Asian carriers, QF and UAL are such they need to. 2) Given the length of some flights, if UA didn't give away free booze on the 744s there may be riots in Y given the pretty dismal accommodations .

I wish UAL would give up a little beer and wine on TATL to be consistent with the other US legacy carriers and be somewhat more competitive to the EU carriers.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Hyatt
Flying after March 3rd EWR-NRT

Will beer and Wine be complimentary in economy class on flights to asia after march 3rd ?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LL4L
Will beer and Wine be complimentary in economy class on flights to asia after march 3rd ?
Bump?

Any updates? How about w/in Asia?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Flew 3/4 SGN/HKG/ORD in F&C. Drinks were free in premium cabin but announcements over PA indicated there was a charge in economy. I believe it was $6/$7 for beer/liquor.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
another change we'll like
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by mgmsteven
Flew 3/4 SGN/HKG/ORD in F&C. Drinks were free in premium cabin but announcements over PA indicated there was a charge in economy. I believe it was $6/$7 for beer/liquor.
WOW - you have to be kidding me!

Did they even charge from HKG-SGN from what you heard?

My wife and I are in Y on ORD-NRT-SIN-NRT-EWR and I will NOT like having to use any chits on these flights...it looks like I'll try to sneak some beer out of the lounges or something, this is ridiculous.

Thanks Jeff! Yet another reason to never book UA - just OZ, NH, TG, SQ, AC to Asia...and he thought we didn't have options!

-jeremy
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by channa
DL has been doing this for a few years now, and I think they comp spirits in EconomyComfort.
They did it from time to time to/from the Mideast in economy plus. Mainly wine with dinner.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I think Jefrey wants UA to fail in Asia so he can eliminate PMUA from within and get back to running CO.

Absolutely revolting removal of service.

So thankful my wallet is linked to SQ as of this year instead of UA.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
I'm actually not that wigged out about charging for drinks on any flight in Y, especially long haul. If I'm paying $1,200 for a flight anyway, the $14 for two drinks isn't gonna kill me.

Of course, one could argue that if I'm paying $1,200 for a flight already, giving me less than $4 worth of drinks (their cost) wouldn't kill United.

I guess I'm just saying there are more things I find worth getting pissed off about.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by johnmont
I'm actually not that wigged out about charging for drinks on any flight in Y, especially long haul. If I'm paying $1,200 for a flight anyway, the $14 for two drinks isn't gonna kill me.

Of course, one could argue that if I'm paying $1,200 for a flight already, giving me less than $4 worth of drinks (their cost) wouldn't kill United.

I guess I'm just saying there are more things I find worth getting pissed off about.
I agree with you regarding personal travel. But it's a different story for business travelers who will likely not get reimbursed for inflight alcohol purchases (they don't care so much about the cost of the ticket since the company/client is paying).
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by johnmont
Exactly. Hell, charge me an additional $5 on my fare for unlimited booze.

Seriously, ... United? If you can't afford to give out some drinks on the plane then raise your fares so that you can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.