Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA follow: AA to start serving free beer/wine in Y on International flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA follow: AA to start serving free beer/wine in Y on International flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by channa
They [CO] are definitely trailblazers in charging -- first to charge for booze in Y TATL, first major to charge for IFE in Y (it's $7.99 for DTV), and first to charge for drinks in F (which they've finally stopped).

This will be tough for them, but with DL and AA giving free beer/wine in Y TATL, CO/UA will have to follow.
CO used to charge for drinks in F? That is unbelievable -- please elaborate.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This is all getting interesting. If AA has E+ and a free drink or two and is aligned with OW, then they have my business, no question. Two out of three, I'll hang around for two years to achieve MM then status match.

I wonder which will come first, or will UA start treating its economy elite passengers like human beings?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by fastflyer
CO used to charge for drinks in F? That is unbelievable -- please elaborate.
They didn't, and the poster knows that.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16548444-post39.html

There is whole threads about it but, they charged for the mixer for specialty drinks, such as mojitos, but not for the alcohol. Charging for the mixer was indeed a practice that was not accepted by the paying customers, and the specialty drinks were discontinued (rather than give them away) It had to do with not having a way to account for it for the Flight Attendants (agreeably, which could have been fixed). But, at no time was the alcohol charged for in the front cabin.

Last edited by xzh445; Jan 19, 2012 at 10:50 am
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by xzh445
They didn't, and the poster knows that. They charged for the mixer, such as mojitos, but not for the alcohol. Charging for the mixer was indeed a practice that was not accepted by the paying customers, and the specialty drinks were discontinued (rather than give them away) It had to do with not having a way to account for it for the Flight Attendants. But, at no time was the alcohol charged for in the front cabin.

Sorry, I should have said CO charged for some drinks in F.

As for the accounting thing, that's their PR line, and while it's good they were able to get some to repeat it, many don't buy it. They could have figured it out if they wanted to. Other airlines were able to comp things in F that they charged for in Y.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: MYOB
Sorry, I should have said CO charged for some drinks in F..
No. You should have said that they charged for the mixers.

As for the accounting thing, that's their PR line, and while it's good they were able to get some to repeat it, many don't buy it. They could have figured it out if they wanted to . Other airlines were able to comp things in F that they charged for in Y.
Using your line....go re-read my post. Oddly...you and I agree on something.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
No. You should have said that they charged for the mixers.
desperate argument. Okay, they charged for the cups, but only on certain drinks. Feel better now?

Fact is certain drink requests needed to be accompanied by payment. In F Class.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
They are definitely trailblazers in charging -- first to charge for booze in Y TATL, first major to charge for IFE in Y (it's $7.99 for DTV), and first to charge for drinks in F (which they've finally stopped).

This will be tough for them, but with DL and AA giving free beer/wine in Y TATL, CO/UA will have to follow.
Last to charge for meals in domestic Y.

Both DL and AA give away free drink coupons if you miss an upgrade and UA never matched that.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andrewwm
Both DL and AA give away free drink coupons if you miss an upgrade and UA never matched that.
AA's is even better, IIRC. They get a free drink and a snack in Y. DL's is a printout (one or the other).

UA's differentiator was always E+, but now that's becoming common. This will definitely turn up the pressure.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Considering that I ended up using all of my drink vouchers on my R/T to Argentina this would be a great change of UA policy.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
How will UA align the complimentary booze service on TPAC after formal merger? Remove the free alcohol on PMUA or add the free alcohol on PMCO?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cchuang1980
How will UA align the complimentary booze service on TPAC after formal merger? Remove the free alcohol on PMUA or add the free alcohol on PMCO?
Anyone know why they're doing it TPAC?

I heard that DL initially did free beer/wine TATL because it was stipulated in NW's codeshare agreement with KL, and when DL bought NW, they owned that.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
OK, so now Delta offers their economy class passengers free beer and wine (and sake) aboard all international flights scheduled for 6 hours or longer plus all intra-Asia flights.

American Airlines (starting February 1) offers their economy class passengers free beer and wine aboard all international flights to Asia, Europe, and most of South America. (AA doesn't have any intra-Asia flights.)

I think this was a very smart move, aimed in part at United's struggles with their trans-Atlantic 757s. Free alcohol adds weight, and United is counting every ounce aboard their 757s this winter. United is at a competitive disadvantage here.

Well played, American.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
nope, just saying
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
They didn't, and the poster knows that.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16548444-post39.html

There is whole threads about it but, they charged for the mixer for specialty drinks, such as mojitos, but not for the alcohol. Charging for the mixer was indeed a practice that was not accepted by the paying customers, and the specialty drinks were discontinued (rather than give them away) It had to do with not having a way to account for it for the Flight Attendants (agreeably, which could have been fixed). But, at no time was the alcohol charged for in the front cabin.
And I liked those Mojitos, too. And it was only thing I could use my drink chits for... After they discontinued them I ended up with a lot of unused chits.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
DL has been doing this for a few years now, and I think they comp spirits in EconomyComfort.
They comp in EC, but they give wine/beer for free in regular Y?

Originally Posted by FWAAA
AA has already announced its version of E+ to be introduced later this year with the first 777-300 delivery. Only a matter of time until AA announces plans to roll it out on other long-haul planes (if not fleet-wide).
You have details of their planned E+? (I wonder if they go true lie-flat in C as well)

Originally Posted by andrewwm
Last to charge for meals in domestic Y.

That would be a major improvement, to do that. And while this wouldn't be viable for everyone, perhaps voucher for free meal (or snackbox) for GS/1K/maybe even Plat that don't clear an upgrade

AA's is even better, IIRC. They get a free drink and a snack in Y. DL's is a printout (one or the other).

UA's differentiator was always E+, but now that's becoming common. This will definitely turn up the pressure.
UA used to stand out in a good way with E+, but soon enough, it will be in a bad way. EC is a major improvement over E+ - more comfortable seat than regular Y, more recline, free booze... I'm sure AA won't be unveiling simply E+. Especially if UA wants to start charging Silvers for E+ (and they'll probably start charging Golds soon enough as well ) they need to roll out a new E+, which is a class of its own. (Not necessarily a true Premium Economy like WT+ on BA, but more than just extra legroom seats)

Originally Posted by TomA
And I liked those Mojitos, too. And it was only thing I could use my drink chits for... After they discontinued them I ended up with a lot of unused chits.
Same here! Went to burn a ton of coupons only to find out they discontinued specialty drinks. Now what do I do with my coupons?! Anyone want them? I'll trade 500 for a SWU

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.