FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [2012] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1303570-consolidated-why-fare-so-expensive-thread-2012-a.html)

smashr Jan 17, 12 3:14 pm

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [2012]
 
So as a business traveler who routinely stays at a client for just a single day or portion thereof, I am used to paying a premium for short turn arounds.

That being said, I cannot believe what I saw when I tried to book a WAS-IAH trip for 3 weeks from now: The lowest fare without a 3 day min stay (or sat stayover) requirement is a B fare for $1589!!!!! Even the $900 'E' fare requires a 3 night stay.

Simply unreal.

channa Jan 17, 12 3:25 pm

That's a very CO tactic that CO has used for a while.

In routes where there is little direct competition, they like their 3-day mins and really ream you if you don't have it.

This is also one upside or downside (depending on your viewpoint of them) of the B fares. CO's lowest fare is a B fare, so you're getting a free, immediate upgrade if Elite and available. So they're not really monetizing anything their for their F cabin since you're not paying more for it. You're only paying for the B because that's the fare.

smashr Jan 17, 12 3:29 pm


Originally Posted by channa (Post 17832034)
That's a very CO tactic that CO has used for a while.

In routes where there is little direct competition, they like their 3-day mins and really ream you if you don't have it.

This is also one upside or downside (depending on your viewpoint of them) of the B fares. CO's lowest fare is a B fare, so you're getting a free, immediate upgrade if Elite and available. So they're not really monetizing anything their for their F cabin since you're not paying more for it. You're only paying for the B because that's the fare.

Oh, I'd very much love to book that B fare, take the extra 50% eqm and the instant upgrade, but the competitors on the route are asking for less than $400 w/ one stop. I can get a lot past my travel department, but a $1200 difference for a domestic mid-con is just not going to happen.

Air Houston Jan 17, 12 3:38 pm

DCA-IAH flights generally run completely full, at least at the times I travel, so I guess there are enough people willing to either stay for three nights or pay full B fare.

channa Jan 17, 12 3:57 pm


Originally Posted by Air Houston (Post 17832112)
DCA-IAH flights generally run completely full, at least at the times I travel, so I guess there are enough people willing to either stay for three nights or pay full B fare.

Or connect to other destinations with more reasonable pricing.

UA-NYC Jan 17, 12 4:00 pm

This describes most of the business routes ex-EWR for 1-3 day pricing (save some leisure destinations)

jjclancy Jan 17, 12 4:20 pm


Originally Posted by smashr (Post 17832065)
Oh, I'd very much love to book that B fare, take the extra 50% eqm and the instant upgrade, but the competitors on the route are asking for less than $400 w/ one stop. I can get a lot past my travel department, but a $1200 difference for a domestic mid-con is just not going to happen.

#1 Have a bit of hidden-city fun.
BTR on the outbound, SYR/ROA on the inbound.
Nice, you just saved >$1000 and got the nonstops.

#2 "Connect" on UACO in MCI/MCO by joining two cheap fares on a single ticket.
Nice, you just saved >$1000 and earned double EQMs.

smashr Jan 17, 12 10:04 pm


Originally Posted by jjclancy (Post 17832397)
#1 Have a bit of hidden-city fun.
BTR on the outbound, SYR/ROA on the inbound.
Nice, you just saved >$1000 and got the nonstops.

#2 "Connect" on UACO in MCI/MCO by joining two cheap fares on a single ticket.
Nice, you just saved >$1000 and earned double EQMs.

Thanks for the tips. I messed around with BTR a bit thinking I could take my meeting during my 'layover' in IAH, but looks like there is a fare break with more than a 4 hour connection, which would make it tight.

Not sure if this is worth risking a true hidden city scenario.

aacharya Jan 18, 12 6:43 am


Originally Posted by smashr (Post 17834354)
Thanks for the tips. I messed around with BTR a bit thinking I could take my meeting during my 'layover' in IAH, but looks like there is a fare break with more than a 4 hour connection, which would make it tight.

Not sure if this is worth risking a true hidden city scenario.

AUS instead of IAH?

TA Jan 18, 12 11:27 am

Fare incredulousness always brings to mind the following analogy:

-- Driving on a packed rush hour highway, "Why are all these people making traffic so bad?"

Pegasus23 Jan 19, 12 9:48 am

UA-CO fares to HNL Increase
 
Did anyone else notice fares jumped almost $200.00 Wed. Jan18th DEN-HNL going forward; also, From West Coast cities not served by Alaska, Hawaiian.

Wishing Alaska Air would run a non-stop DEN-HNL

MSPDeltaDude Jan 19, 12 10:02 am


Originally Posted by Pegasus23 (Post 17844388)
Did anyone else notice fares jumped almost $200.00 Wed. Jan18th DEN-HNL going forward; also, From West Coast cities not served by Alaska, Hawaiian.

Wishing Alaska Air would run a non-stop DEN-HNL

Prices change all of time. Welcome to the wonderful world of airfares.

JetAway Jan 19, 12 10:17 am

HNL fares bounce all over. What goes up in that market nearly always comes down again. Tourism to HI is still soft.

xzh445 Jan 19, 12 11:45 am


Originally Posted by Pegasus23 (Post 17844388)
Did anyone else notice fares jumped almost $200.00 Wed. Jan18th DEN-HNL going forward; also, From West Coast cities not served by Alaska, Hawaiian.

Wishing Alaska Air would run a non-stop DEN-HNL



Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 17844583)
HNL fares bounce all over. What goes up in that market nearly always comes down again. Tourism to HI is still soft.

Yep, all over the place. ROC-HNL next fall came DOWN on Wed from ~1500 to ~850.

channa Jan 19, 12 11:59 am


Originally Posted by Pegasus23 (Post 17844388)
Wishing Alaska Air would run a non-stop DEN-HNL

Where would they stop for fuel with their all-737 fleet?

The problem with AS and these non-hub flights is they can be short-lived. AS had a very strong network from the Bay Area to Mexico's leisure markets for some time. When the economy tanked and Mexico tourism softened, they cut back substantially and started working on Hawaii.

That's fine if you can jump on a short-term sale every now and then, but if you're looking for long-term fare pressure, who knows what they'll move to next.

I can't count the number of flights they've stopped and started out of the Bay Area over the years. While I applaud them for being nimble and taking risks, for a customer who wants to focus on one (1) carrier and maintain a relationship, they're too all over the place for that.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.