FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1303570-consolidated-why-fare-so-expensive-thread-archive.html)

100countrygoal Feb 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by jowo (Post 17992882)
and SFO BKK $2600 on economy. On a certain weekday round trip still cost ~ $2300 but this is just crazy. I remember that price is usually around $1100-$1300 for lowest economy class

Is something going on with .bomb? Flight looks empty but ticket price is just ridiculuous.

let me know if anyone knows why.

I haven't seen $1100-$1300 much at all in the past year to BKK. $1500-$1700 is generally the norm for a pretty decent price in my experience. But yes, $2300 is way too expensive for NRT & BKK and I'd expect it to come down quite a bit.

Make sure that you check the "include star alliance" box at .bomb, as flying one leg on NH often drops the price quite a bit and reduces the layover time at NRT if you're going to BKK.

TomA Feb 10, 2012 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by 100countrygoal (Post 17992999)
I haven't seen $1100-$1300 much at all in the past year to BKK. $1500-$1700 is generally the norm for a pretty decent price in my experience. But yes, $2300 is way too expensive for NRT & BKK and I'd expect it to come down quite a bit.

Really? It's 1376 right now. Has been for a while. I paid $1320 in December and $1358 in October. Best prices are usually 3 week - 1 month advance. I've gotten good fares at t-4 days.

Make sure that you check the "include star alliance" box at .bomb, as flying one leg on NH often drops the price quite a bit and reduces the layover time at NRT if you're going to BKK.
What? And miss out on an hour at the Sake bar? Are you crazy?? :P

dcutcher Feb 11, 2012 3:54 pm

And FWIW..

if at all possible I'd definitely skip BKK in Aug because of high temps and precip, especially in September...

TravellingMan Feb 11, 2012 10:45 pm

What incenses me about United fares is when they operate 1x2 RJs (ExpressJets) or 2x2 RJs with no first class which are $75-$150 more than other carriers (SW, F9, DL) on certain routes out of Denver. The other carriers all have mainline (737, 3xx) on those routes and makes me re-consider my sanity to even think about booking on UA on those routes. Why would anyone pay more to be stuck in a crappy ExpressJet on a 1x2 configuration where your knee is melded with your chin?

I am waiting for the day when I can "enjoy" the experience of flying DEN-LAX/SFO/IAD/ORD on these fine ExpressJet flights. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: That day is probably not too far...

UA-NYC Feb 12, 2012 5:54 am

Originally Posted by TravellingMan (Post 17998098)
What incenses me about United fares is when they operate 1x2 RJs (ExpressJets) or 2x2 RJs with no first class which are $75-$150 more than other carriers (SW, F9, DL) on certain routes out of Denver. The other carriers all have mainline (737, 3xx) on those routes and makes me re-consider my sanity to even think about booking on UA on those routes. Why would anyone pay more to be stuck in a crappy ExpressJet on a 1x2 configuration where your knee is melded with your chin?

I would kill for only $75-$150 more out of EWR, would make justification of flying CO a lot easier. Try NYC-ATL on a 3 day trip...$286 on a real DL jet vs. $852 on RJs only (random dates picked next month).

ljwobker Feb 12, 2012 9:09 pm

AUGH! The answer to this question is always the same:

"They're charging what people will spend"

If UACO is selling a ticket for $8000 from JFK to Newark, that's because their business analysis says that someone will pay it. If they're wrong, it will change, and change quickly. Airline revenue modeling is one of the most carefully scrutinized operations in the business world, and as we've all seen there are very few empty seats flying around. So if those seats are full, it means that people are willing to buy them. For some flights they're sold at $8000, for some flights they're sold at $80, for some flights they are damn near given away as the ever-elusive Saver Award seats.

But rest assured, if the company thinks that someone will pay $1 more, they will raise the price. Over any statistically significant sample, they know exactly what people will and won't pay, and they adjust to that value.

If they have a near-monopoly on a market, why SHOULDN'T they charge more for it? I live in Raleigh. If I want to get to Houston in less than 3 hours, and with a far lower risk of missing a connection or having my bags lost... I have exactly one choice: Continental. If I don't want to pay $700 to do this then that's my problem, because clearly someone else WILL buy that seat for $699. Otherwise that wouldn't be the price, and there wouldn't be 45 butts in the 45 seats on that damn barbieJet. ;-)

in any case, I guess you can view airline pricing as either incredibly transparent (because it's a constantly-adjusting market that prices very dynamically and in incredibly tight correlation to supply and demand)... or you can view it as incredibly opaque (because very few people realize how many different variables go into that supply and demand equation)

mduell Feb 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingMan (Post 17998098)
I am waiting for the day when I can "enjoy" the experience of flying DEN-LAX/SFO/IAD/ORD on these fine ExpressJet flights. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: That day is probably not too far...

I doubt the pilots union will give in on mainline only hub-hub any time soon.

soap_bubbles Feb 17, 2012 11:36 am

SYD-BLR (India) one-way in December cost $5000. When will it go down?

I am looking at the prices between SYD to South India (BLR or MAA) and the price at Continental.com shows up as > $5000 for December 13, 2012, which is too high considering I am booking way in advance and also I am looking for cheapest fare.
Thai and Singapore flies from SYD-BLR with stopover at BKK and SIN respectively. Any idea when this price will go down? Why is it too pricey for this segment?

sts603 Feb 17, 2012 11:40 am

Originally Posted by soap_bubbles (Post 18034652)
I am looking at the prices between SYD to South India (BLR or MAA) and the price at Continental.com shows up as > $5000 for December 13, 2012, which is too high considering I am booking way in advance and also I am looking for cheapest fare.
Thai and Singapore flies from SYD-BLR with stopover at BKK and SIN respectively. Any idea when this price will go down? Why is it too pricey for this segment?

Try searching on Thai and Singapore's website. Continental.com is not the best place to buy international tickets between two non-US countries on other STAR airlines.

irfan23 Feb 17, 2012 11:54 am

It is because it is one way. RT for Dec is closer to $2200.

Jorgen Feb 17, 2012 12:12 pm

If you can cope with not flying *A, I'm seeing (on hipmunk) one-way on Malaysia for $1352.

Or $1500ish on Qantas/Dragon or (if you're not into the whole brevity thing) Emirates.

star_world Feb 17, 2012 12:17 pm

AU$1380 on Singapore pretty much any day that month.

Lurker Feb 18, 2012 7:25 pm

H lowest fare class available SYD-SFO/LAX early Jan 2013?

I fly US-SYD/MEL many times per year. Often book at 335 day limit (or whatever it is exactly). Follow fares closely on United.com. Follow UG availability like a hawk on EF. So I thought I had seen it all.

Until today...

Flights just becoming available now for early Jan Australia-US are not available in ANY fare class less than H.

Called and confirmed this with an agent who was equally shocked and admitted that the flights were booked to about 5%.

So whatsup? I know it's peak period but dates in late Dec 2012 have all sorts of fare class availability.

If I purchase outbound in W and return in H and lower fare classes become available can I re-ticket? (I foresee a drop of greater than $250 so think this could be well worthwhile)

if I re-ticket, can a good agent keep my UGs? (They are available now, which is the only reason I want to pull the trigger so urgently).

Thanks in advance

Lurker :)

born sleepy Feb 18, 2012 7:48 pm

Possibly the same reason there's no saver awards to SYD/MEL for the near future. Grrr.

ozstamps Feb 18, 2012 9:14 pm

USA to SYD early Jan is the super highest of high seasons.

The entire country is on holiday then, and is coming home at that time.

This year you could not book a ticket even in Y - trust me, as we needed to do it a few weeks back. Flights are oversold heavily. IM knows this, hence the H fares only.

UA cancelled our once a day flight early Jan this year EZE-IAD-SYD. As the PA system was not working in coach - I kid you not. :(

We had "B" tickets and the SFO-SYD was already upgraded.

Totally UA's choice the cancellation.

Got onto a UA Global Services agent on the phone from EZE to re-protect us home the next day, and it took an HOUR for them making calls etc. to get us on the plane.

There was not even revenue space in Y or B
, and they said there was 'nothing they could do.' ExpertFlyer verified that.

I stated Lan Chile had 2 x Y class seats SCL-AKL-SYD on that day, and asked could she endorse us over there please.

Cost to UA of that was "terrifying" she said after looking into it, and I said too bad - please get us on that plane, OR somehow get us home via UA.

Magically after a chat with upstairs she got us confirmed in Business Class on UA rather than pay Lan Chile a fortune.

She was really nice over the call, and I am sure that is the story - they'd rather bump us to Biz than pay Lan Chile many $1000s each. :cool:

So, even Y/B is impossible most days in early January, so I'd grab the H now!

We fly USA - SYD every year Jan early and it is always the same EXCEPT when they add the extra daily flight and that has not occurred in recent years, and even so that packs out most times.