FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1303570-consolidated-why-fare-so-expensive-thread-archive.html)

Pegasus23 Jan 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 17845251)
Where would they stop for fuel with their all-737 fleet?

The problem with AS and these non-hub flights is they can be short-lived. AS had a very strong network from the Bay Area to Mexico's leisure markets for some time. When the economy tanked and Mexico tourism softened, they cut back substantially and started working on Hawaii.

That's fine if you can jump on a short-term sale every now and then, but if you're looking for long-term fare pressure, who knows what they'll move to next.

I can't count the number of flights they've stopped and started out of the Bay Area over the years. While I applaud them for being nimble and taking risks, for a customer who wants to focus on one (1) carrier and maintain a relationship, they're too all over the place for that.

Channa,
The things I don't know and you graciously point out...Thank you. I had a good laugh when I read your first sentence re: 737's. I enjoyed your insight re: AS as well.

Seems the DEN - HNL fare is holding, The west coast fares fell back to Tuesday levels this afternoon.

Thanks too for moving my thread.

PSU Mudder Jan 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 17832259)
This describes most of the business routes ex-EWR for 1-3 day pricing (save some leisure destinations)

Never understood this, because they effectively give up Manhattan traffic for a perceived Northern Jersey captive market.

PIT-EWR on CO is usually $900 for less than 3 days.
PIT-LGA on US is $200
PIT-JFK on B6 is $200

But, the numbers must work for them either in terms of they feel they don't get the NYC O&D for short duration business travel and/or they get enough people who have to go to Jersey and refuse to cross a bridge to make money.

UA-NYC Jan 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by PSU Mudder (Post 17847272)
Never understood this, because they effectively give up Manhattan traffic for a perceived Northern Jersey captive market.

PIT-EWR on CO is usually $900 for less than 3 days.
PIT-LGA on US is $200
PIT-JFK on B6 is $200

But, the numbers must work for them either in terms of they feel they don't get the NYC O&D for short duration business travel and/or they get enough people who have to go to Jersey and refuse to cross a bridge to make money.

Yup - I've given up trying to fly EWR-ATL on CO. $900 for a 3 day trip, $300 for 4 days. :td: Not the end of the world for me to connect in IAD/ORD (from LGA) and pick up extra EQMs.

SF1K Jan 22, 2012 9:07 am

Ugh. SFO-MIA 2x the fare of DL and AA

What is the deal UA. The fare from any bay area airport to MIa is $580+ on both DL and AA only $280. It's really hard to book UA at these prices. And AA has non-stops. Ugh!

mdspadeccom Jan 22, 2012 10:42 am

The fares and schedules between the west coast and MIA have been a problem for many years. Way back when MIA was a jumping off point for some UA flights to South America, the situation was ok, with even a SFO/MIA nonstop. But when the South American flights were moved to IAD, the service to MIA really took a turn for the worse. Pre the merger you had the choice for flying to ORD or IAD. DEN was just part year. Now with CO on board there are flights to IAH as well. You did pretty well to get the fare you did. I had to pay several hundered more than that for a May rt. I really wish that UACO will start treating MIA as a major destination. I also think UACO could do ok with weekend (Th, Fr, Su, Mo) nonstops to Key West from SFO in a, say, 320, or at least from IAH in a big regional jet.

PotomacApproach Jan 22, 2012 10:58 am

And now if you fly to Mia from Iad you can have the pleasure of making the journey in a crj.

docbert Jan 22, 2012 11:25 am

When your planes are full, you can charge whatever you want!

I flew into/out of MIA a week ago, and both of my flights were oversold. I took a VBD, and whilst waiting for my new flight saw a few other flights go out, and every one was full and/or oversold.

Try booking into FLL. It's only 20 miles away, and sometimes has cheaper fares.

FlyerChrisK Jan 22, 2012 11:57 am

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 17864074)

Full doesn't necessarily mean that the plane was full of high yield passengers.

To the OP: Consider being disloyal to AA? Otherwise, you're proving the genius of frequent flier programs in causing you to overspend.

PSU Mudder Jan 26, 2012 10:12 am

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK (Post 17864277)
Full doesn't necessarily mean that the plane was full of high yield passengers.

Which must be the case on the PIT-EWR runs I referenced above, because those planes are far from full.

Darlox Jan 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by PSU Mudder (Post 17891507)
Which must be the case on the PIT-EWR runs I referenced above, because those planes are far from full.

It's some arcane rev mgmt math, for sure... CLE-PHL is in that same category, of being like $900. PIT-PHL, on the other hand is like $240. Connecting through CLE.

... so capacity and price are loosely connected at best, unless you want to take the stand that CLE-PHL is so expensive because of all the people connecting PIT-CLE-PHL on cheap tickets! ;)

Cbmaz Jan 26, 2012 7:57 pm

I flew into/out of MIA a week ago, and both of my flights were oversold. I took a VBD, and whilst waiting for my new flight saw a few other flights go out, and every one was full and/or oversold.

Try booking into FLL. It's only 20 miles away, and sometimes has cheaper fares.

Not lately with 2 t0 6 mega cruise ships sailing out daily most of the week!

hellyea Jan 27, 2012 9:25 am

Why are the one way ORD-EWR (May 11) and EWR-oRD (May 13) only showing the refundable fares at over $300 each way. The discounted round trip is ~$200.

Any way to see the restricted one way?

UA-NYC Jan 27, 2012 10:33 am

Originally Posted by hellyea (Post 17897709)
Why are the one way ORD-EWR (May 11) and EWR-oRD (May 13) only showing the refundable fares at over $300 each way. The discounted round trip is ~$200.

Any way to see the restricted one way?

They may not even be offered - one way pricing to/from EWR can be crazy. LGA much more palatable.

harperb Jan 27, 2012 8:19 pm

UA wants $1687 for a W/SWUable fare from SFO to NRT pretty much anytime in the next couple of months, meanwhile SFO to HKG/PEK/etc is about $1300-1350 for a W fare. It's $1607 from SFO to DXB in W, for almost 2x the distance r/t. Unbelievable.

sipples Jan 28, 2012 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 17845251)
Where would they stop for fuel with their all-737 fleet?

Maybe Alaska Airlines can get a 737-700ER or two. They already have 737-700s. ERs would let them open up east coast-Hawaii routes if they wanted. Or even Asia routes. One would think they could do OK between ANC and various parts of Asia with 737s, at least in the summer.

Alternatively they could use current equipment to operate DEN-SFO/OAK/SFO-HNL-DEN, with the return trip a nonstop if they wished.

Originally Posted by mdspadeccom (Post 17863783)
I also think UACO could do ok with weekend (Th, Fr, Su, Mo) nonstops to Key West from SFO in a, say, 320, or at least from IAH in a big regional jet.

Not from SFO, and not in an A320. EYW's runway is only 4,801 feet long. Even service to IAH might be tricky. That would be the new longest airline flight in/out of EYW. (Republic Airlines operates CLT-EYW seasonally, which is currently the longest.) Also, a great circle run to IAH would be rather far out into the Gulf of Mexico. If there's an ETOPS Q400 available, maybe that'd work, if they thought there'd be enough interest in a ~3 hour scheduled Q400 flight time. I don't know if they could get out of EYW with enough fuel, though, especially on hot days.

If someone had an Avro RJ70 or RJ85 available, that might work better, even to IAD. But there aren't any of those left in U.S. airline service. :(