Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by denuaflier
I just booked tickets for DEN-IAH-DEN May 22nd outbound and May 23rd return.

United offered for $686 roundtrip for the times I wanted (late afternoon).

Southwest was $289 to Hobby - I did book Southwest. I wanted to book United due to 25K mile offer but just could not justify paying that much more.

This is more than double. Why is that? Flight seem to be wide open and we are still more than 14 days out.

Any idea why other than no once else flies DEN IAH non-stop?

Thanks for your input.
Nearly EVERYTHING IAH to anywhere on United is sky high. It's called 'merger synergies'

Soon F9 will be back at IAH. CO has typically not matched F9 sale fares even back when they were at iah.

SWA is not putting the sales into houston which have kept CO at bay. Evidently SWA has decided that its time to make some big money in Houston so bang we have goodies like iah-las for 450 as the 'cheap' roundtrip.
Old May 4, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Only $100 difference

between economy and business fares LAX-HNL-LAX on 6/19?

Same day return, but even so, economy for ~US$2100, business for ~US$2200?

Really? (as in really, really?)

and don't get me started about LAX-OGG-LAX
Old May 4, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by dcutcher
and don't get me started about LAX-OGG-LAX
Booked for end of June SFO-OGG-SFO and the prices were insane. Ultimately, we did book United (through United Vacations), which made them cheaper than anyone else and on a nonstop instead of some insane routing like SFO-SAN-LAX-OGG. (That was really one of the cheap options.)
Old May 13, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
NRT BKK Pricing Lunacy

Why are UA fares $8k for business and $9.5k for first when you can fly TG in business for $2k and first for $3.5.... especially since every aspect of TG is so vastly superior to UA especially in F with a suite with doors, extra seat for dining companion with whom to share the Dom, PJs and great service.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Probably because the Continental business model for Asia is based on the situation at GUM, where you can get away with those sort of fares (or at least you could until recently), and they are too arrogant to reconsider this (or any other strategy) after swallowing United.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, AA CK, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, KAL MC, Hyatt Globalist, Sixt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 5khours
Why are UA fares $8k for business and $9.5k for first when you can fly TG in business for $2k and first for $3.5.... especially since every aspect of TG is so vastly superior to UA especially in F with a suite with doors, extra seat for dining companion with whom to share the Dom, PJs and great service.
Have wondered the same in the past. High load factors on that route, people connecting from SFO and LAX I guess. I normally book NH or TG. As you said better hard product and much better service.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:01 am

My own theory is that UA pricing and profitability is built entirely on the stupidity of American corporate travel departments who continue to accept outrageous pricing on Int'l C and F generally.

P.S. Plus the ongoing collusion of the Japanese and American Departments of Transportation to limit the number of U.S. Japan flights in order to stave off bankruptcy for their respective carriers.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:13 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Typical legacy airline mentality. They are targeting connecting passengers from the US and they have captive traffic like US government employees that have to fly US carriers and USA to BKK is far enough to require business class. Although, I imagine that they get considerable discounts.

Anyway, both ANA and TG fly from Haneda so UA has very little competitive edge. But ANA also charges steep fares for business on this route. (ANA charges steep fares for premium cabins in general ex-Japan. TYO-FRA can be as much as twice the price as LH in business where LH offers Z fares to fill its ~100 pax C cabin on the A380).

Finally, TG is a mediocre airline (but so is UA on this scale) with a variety of aircraft, some quite old with crappy seats. On HND-BKK they don't even sell F and will rope off F class if there is a change of aircraft like when I flew a 340-600 instead of 340-500.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
Typical legacy airline mentality. They are targeting connecting passengers from the US and they have captive traffic like US government employees that have to fly US carriers and USA to BKK is far enough to require business class. Although, I imagine that they get considerable discounts.

Anyway, both ANA and TG fly from Haneda so UA has very little competitive edge. But ANA also charges steep fares for business on this route. (ANA charges steep fares for premium cabins in general ex-Japan. TYO-FRA can be as much as twice the price as LH in business where LH offers Z fares to fill its ~100 pax C cabin on the A380).

Finally, TG is a mediocre airline (but so is UA on this scale) with a variety of aircraft, some quite old with crappy seats. On HND-BKK they don't even sell F and will rope off F class if there is a change of aircraft like when I flew a 340-600 instead of 340-500.
I beg to differ. I find most things about TG to be very good with a few quirkly exceptions. Not only do they sell F, you can also buy cheap UGs at the airport (1 class and 2 class upgrades). Also, if you raise enough of a stink when they're using the rope they'll take it down and usually let you move up for free.

I do agree though that you have to be fairly careful when you're picking aircraft.

And BTW - AFAIK TG has never flown Airbus jets on the HND<>BKK route.

Last edited by 5khours; May 14, 2012 at 12:34 am
Old May 14, 2012, 12:28 am

I have to agree also. I fly this route often and NRT-SIN and fares for the same seat can be cheaper flying from LAX-NRT-BKK , or LAX-NRT-BKK. Makes no since to me. However as the day towards the actual day of a flight fare do become cheaper.
Old May 14, 2012, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
You now have inbound UA connections from what, 8 airports? ORD, EWR, IAH, SFO, IAD, LAX, HNL, SEA...gotta save those onward NRT connections, so price 'em high.

Now if they charge those prices for the Asian RJs (737s)...
Old May 14, 2012, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You now have inbound UA connections from what, 8 airports? ORD, EWR, IAH, SFO, IAD, LAX, HNL, SEA...gotta save those onward NRT connections, so price 'em high.

Now if they charge those prices for the Asian RJs (737s)...
Only makes sense if you have a poorly informed customer base. For me, I would much rather fly in on UA, head to Tokyo for a great dinner followed by a spa and massage, head to HND. Get a great night's sleep in the TG F suite and wake up fresh and ready to go in BKK. Definitely beats 19 hours of flying with only an hour break at the UC Club in Narita followed by a night at the Novotel.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Blue forever!
DEN-SNA-DEN fare

Please excuse me if this is too specific a question but I'm looking at fares for June 25-29. Price is higher today than on May 13. I keep hearing that Tuesday is the best day to buy. Do you think Tuesday evening or night will go down. Or have the fares really begun their summer rise? No LAX, please.
Also, I'm wondering-when I go on the UA website now, my requested dates and flight are still there, even days later. I'm told that if you can delete cookies that may not happen but my PC doesn't seem to allow that. Could it be that UA is tracking me and raising its price accordingly?

Last edited by daph; May 15, 2012 at 11:11 am
Old May 15, 2012, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
1. All software for internet exploring (Firefox, Chrome, IE) allows you to clear cache and cookies.

2. UA doesn't charge dynamic pricing. Amazon tried it and got in a lot of hot water.

3. Today is Tuesday - why not use a 7-day farelock to see if it changes?
Old May 15, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA1K
i've never heard of this "tuesday" myth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.