Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
I recently booked a RT ticket from LHR to PVD(wife) and BVT(me). Booked a K fare to the US and a W fare back to the UK. The extra W fare cost about $200 more each. Wasn't to much of a price hike to use my 2 SWU. Granted, they didn't clear right away, so i just paid $400 to play the upgrade lottery.
European fares have always had a smaller differential between lower coach fares and W. Asian/Pacific have been in the range posted so not that surprising. These do vary be time of year and route though.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by jzrandom
After the changeover to the new site this week, I have noticed significant pricing increases for trans-pac flights, particularly if your flights originates from APAC/Japan, or if you are trying to by an upgradable fare.
I checked my TPA-BKK route. No significant changes.

W is $1966--which is what it always is.
Lowest available fare is L @ $1531. (This is kinda high, actually.)
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:59 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
This was the case well before the changeover in IT systems.

I priced WAS-HKG for several May dates recently; L was as low as $760-ish, whereas W was generally $1800+. A ridiculous spread to play the SWU lottery, yes, but unfortunately nothing new.

However, there do seem to be some fare loading issues with the changeover, too, where overnight Friday without any seats being sold everything under B disappeared on certain routes (and for things well over 90 days out, too). It's like for whatever reason the IT folks simply didn't load all the appropriate fare codes. That is a separate issue from the ridiculous W prices these days, though.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by exerda
I priced WAS-HKG for several May dates recently; L was as low as $760-ish
That's an amazing bargain!
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: VAG
I'm looking for SFO-IAH, there on 16th and back on the 23rd.

The cheapest nonstop is over a thousand dollars! The cheapest non-nonstop is nearly as expensive.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by TomA
That's an amazing bargain!
Yes, it is!--although in L, you figure the copay for C adds $1300 to that--making it barely more than W. I was more appalled over the fact that W was more than double L on some dates, and almost double on several others.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: UAGLD, HH SILV, IHG PLAT, NAT.EXEC Elite,
out of MEM

I tried to get a qucik trip out of memphis for the weekend, leave fri afternoon come back sunday night....looked at 4 destinations, all 1100-1500 in price..guess all those IT consultants for the system merge have to get paid by the airline
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:22 am

Strange

It seems as if some (if not all) ex-CO flights disappeared - the fares I saw two days ago (for end of April) are now either gone completely or are pricing at 1.5-2x.

Has there been any official word on this matter? It's hard to believe that all these airplanes filled up overnight.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:00 pm

Try to beat this one

SAV - IAD $1418 on a CRJ. 1hr 39m 22 day advance purchase

This was the fare before the websites merged and its not changed.

There should be a law against that high of a price for such a short flight, its outrageous.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
I fly ROC-LGA about once a month. Usually, I fly first flight out in the morning and return the same evening on US. With the upcoming swap between DL and US, there are no ROC-LGA flights on US before 10 AM anymore. I usually go to the west side of Manhattan, so EWR is an option and would allow me to stay in *A for miles. There is an early AM UA (PMCO) flight ROC-EWR, but the RT same-day option would cost me almost $900 as opposed to the $150 or so that I am used to paying on US. It looks like DL or B6 will be getting my business since their flights are under $200 RT. Seems like UA might want to take advantage of US downsizing at LGA to get some folks (like me) to take a fresh look at EWR.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:08 pm

Hey, it's possible that some of the quirky prices which were due to integration issues have been resolved. ^

That itin to PGA I was looking at which had gone from $620 to $820 to $1900 during the integration (seemingly because there was nothing less than "B" inventory available on flights to DEN or PHX)? It's back down to under $800 ex-WAS and $450 ex-RIC.

Same on a flight to LAS I was planning which likewise was only showing "B" during the past couple of days... back to T fares.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:39 pm
ctp

Programs: UA-GS, HH-D, MR-P, Hz-PC
Originally Posted by AndySAV
Try to beat this one

SAV - IAD $1418 on a CRJ. 1hr 39m 22 day advance purchase

This was the fare before the websites merged and its not changed.

There should be a law against that high of a price for such a short flight, its outrageous.
That's the B fare. You normally only get hit with that at T-7 days or less. I did 10 or 12 of those (IAD-SAV RT) last fall.

At more than 7 days out you should be seeing the cheaper fares at ~$500.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, I miss GS
Fare Trends This Summer- Europe / Italy

I am a heavy business traveler and usually don’t usually book far in advance and don’t pay close attention to fare differences; however, I am going to Italy this summer around July 4th and prices are much higher than I would expect, $1800ish this early out. What do yall see as the fare trend to Europe this summer on United? Should I book now or wait it out? Fuel prices seem to only be going up. I am losing faith that they will get <$1400 as I had hoped.

FWIW, I spend less than that for most of my business trips that are booked 1-2 weeks out, but I am usually not too concerned about a $100-$200 fluctuation when on business. Granted I spent $1800 for IAH-EWR last week. I am saving my miles for when I am poor and cant afford to pay the ticket, well that’s my current philosophy!

IAH-VCE and then Rome-IAH and will stay on *A. Probably go through FRA, but the CO 767’s or so old and boring.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Thumbs down DEN-OGG - One way fares up 500%

I'm used to seeing one way fares around $270-$350 prior to March 3 for March and April on select days, but now seeing $1347 on UA metal. For $589, UA will send me to OGG via LAS, with LAS-OGG on HA.

Get real United...
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Is a price hike another change I will like?

I know there have been threads about PMUA being more expensive than other carriers on certain routes. I also know that my example is merely a snapshot at a given point in time, on a specific route under specific circumstances, but still...

Had to book last minute DEN-SLC on Sunday. Most airlines had availability, and prices were in the $3-$400 range. UA was the exception, with prices towering in the mid to upper $1000's.

I could have flown UA on a CR2 for about $1400.00 round trip. I ended up flying DL on a CR7 with wifi. A paid F ticket was $500 total round trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.