Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's 737-900 Aircraft With no Entertainment System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's 737-900 Aircraft With no Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:18 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I just flew a 737-900 from IAD to DEN. Unfortunately no IFE and no E+.

Are these all starting to get IFE now? Is it happening when E+ is installed? The United website showing the aircraft layouts show all four versions of the 737-900 is supposed to have IFE?
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by bworrell
I just flew a 737-900 from IAD to DEN. Unfortunately no IFE and no E+.

Are these all starting to get IFE now? Is it happening when E+ is installed? The United website showing the aircraft layouts show all four versions of the 737-900 is supposed to have IFE?
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx
The site is not always correct. To get a more current and accurate info, visit here:

https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking

You can see the new 739s don't have IFE or E+ (except 1 that has IFE). Not sure when the 739s will get the mods but it looks like they are concentrating on converting other parts of the fleet at the moment. You can try asking and following this thread as the 739s has been discussed to death:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...pdates-80.html
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by infomark
I just flew from EWR-SAN on a very new 737-900 but there was no entertainment system. seemed odd for a new plane and a 6 hour flight. cost saving?
The aspect of this thread that I find hardest to understand is the decision to allocate the poorly equipped versions to transcon and other relatively long domestic routes. I recently flew BOS-SFO (a 6½ hour route with high proportions of "over-entitled" passengers, and mostly served in the recent past by 752s and A320s) in a 738 with neither E+ or any AV, when my understanding is that the great majority of 738s have now been fitted for E+.

Within the last month I also flew a one-year old 739 IAH-BOS, again with no E+ or AV.

I thought these types of equipment allocation decisions reflected either the relative unimportance of BOS in the network, or part of the airline's plan to discipline the over-entitled. It seems from this thread that the issue is more pervasive, however. I suspect the domestic equipment dispatching algorithms are looking at capacity only, taking no account of any other service characteristics.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:17 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
It is a gamble with 737-800 as some have DirecTV and others do not, but they are still very new aircraft. I have found 737-700 and 737-900 tend be consistent with IFE though.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:08 pm
Original Member

You may have been on one of the 900's impacted by the following:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ct-tv-off.html
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by edcho
The site is not always correct. To get a more current and accurate info, visit here:

https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking

You can see the new 739s don't have IFE or E+ (except 1 that has IFE). Not sure when the 739s will get the mods but it looks like they are concentrating on converting other parts of the fleet at the moment. You can try asking and following this thread as the 739s has been discussed to death:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...pdates-80.html
That mainline fleet tracking google doc is awesome.

I was on 3451 yesterday, which seems to be one of the newest 737-900ER's, but no IFE. It's also interesting that it didn't have 110v -- even though all the signage and plugs were there, it didn't work, and according to the google doc it doesn't have it anyways.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
Why no IFE on newest 739s?

I flew on frame 3453 today and it's a new airplane with the Boeing Sky Interior. There was power in E+, but no IFE on the plane. Why is UA getting their newest planes delivered without any IFE?

I noticed on FlyerGuide that the newly delivered 739ERs seem to all be lacking LiveTV. This seems strange to me. My plane had E+ installed, but no IFE.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Saying United is behind the times when it comes to wifi and entertainment is the understatement of the year/decade.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: Delta platinum, lifetime platinum marriott, UA silver
I just flew on a brand new 739 yesterday from MSP to ORD and upon boarding noticed that fresh new smell as well as the sky interior. When I sat in my seat 3A in First class I was looking around for the screens and or audio. None. So when I asked the FA he stated they needed them asap for capacity and when it slows up they will be sending them to have direct TV installed as well as WiFi. Not sure if he had all his facts straight but it seems strange to install as these seats and then have to take them out to install TV's and equipment.

I noticed the 739 was very quiet at least up front and I love the Bins/Sky ceiling! At least my flight was only around 55 minutes.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by michunited
I just flew on a brand new 739 yesterday from MSP to ORD and upon boarding noticed that fresh new smell as well as the sky interior. When I sat in my seat 3A in First class I was looking around for the screens and or audio. None. So when I asked the FA he stated they needed them asap for capacity and when it slows up they will be sending them to have direct TV installed as well as WiFi. Not sure if he had all his facts straight but it seems strange to install as these seats and then have to take them out to install TV's and equipment.

I noticed the 739 was very quiet at least up front and I love the Bins/Sky ceiling! At least my flight was only around 55 minutes.
I agree with you! The plane was great. It was new and clean and the Boeing Sky Interior/Bins are fantastic. I just can't understand why a new plane would be delivered without IFE.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA-Plat AS-MVPG
IFE does nothing for me. Most of the time I sleep or read a book, it make the time go faster.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:00 pm

Same experience here, IAD-BOS on Wednesday. Beautiful plane. Liked watching the FA's reading the safety materials in the blue glow of the overhead lamps. Liked also the 110 volt plugin but was blown away by the lack of any kind of video on the plane. What are they thinking? Are these only going to be used in short runs where there is no need for IFE?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought it had to do with that Koito seat problem?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta platinum, lifetime platinum marriott, UA silver
Originally Posted by AirlineDeregulation
I agree with you! The plane was great. It was new and clean and the Boeing Sky Interior/Bins are fantastic. I just can't understand why a new plane would be delivered without IFE.
Another thing, 20 seats in First! decent chance for upgrades. Our flight was completely full (shocker I know) and not one bag had to be gate checked. I hope they install these bins on all UA aircraft I was very impressed.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michunited
Another thing, 20 seats in First! decent chance for upgrades. Our flight was completely full (shocker I know) and not one bag had to be gate checked. I hope they install these bins on all UA aircraft I was very impressed.
The strange thing is that these bins seem smaller but it can take a lot. My rollaboard is a little bulky and I didn't think it would go in, yet it did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.